Taxing MH, Taxing PO owners!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stewart J, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

MH needs road tax renewing on 1st Sept, goe's into storage tomorrow whilst I go back to work (at sea) for a month. OK says her goodself renew the tax, off I pops to our local PO run by a couple for many years who are not the most popular folk in town because of their attitudes, pedantic was probably invented for them!

Small PO so only 2 serving hatches, she's at one hubby has sign up at other saying no service this counter and is shuffling paperwork about whilst queue is 7-8 customers long. After 7-8 minutes my turn to be served hands over insurance, money and tax renewal which she carefully goes through looks at me and in a very loud voice announces "Your insurance ends 31st August Tax is for 1st Sept, I protest saying renewal docs are in the post. No use the dragon pushes the paperwork back to me loudly telling me to come back with a valid insurance document.

This was shortly after 4pm today, so 3 miles back home, phones insurance who understandingly email me insurance docs, (only renewed by phone last Friday on our return from hols)

Back to PO his lordship is still hiding behind his sign queue is still to door, eventually served when realistaion must have dawned unless he helped out he'd not be able to shut shop on time!

Eventually managed to renew my tax, makes you wonder if its worth fighting to keep small PO's open when they treat customers like this.:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Rant over

2. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

take him with you and tell him davey jones wants to see him :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

hmmm.. sounds like the same pair that run our village post office .... he is the most surly and unpleasant person I have ever had the misfortune to meet, his wife is unfriendly and little better and makes you feel she is doing you a favour by serving you ..

I now refuse to buy anything and rather drive 16 miles round trip to the nearest town.. even for a pint of milk .. I think they just stay open for the post office salary .. certainly not interested in running a shop or being a service to the community ..:Angry:

4. lorger

lorger Funster

Have to defend our local post office it has been run by a family for years now the 2 sons run it and couldnt be more helpful it is also the local shop and dont charge extortionate prices.

5. scotjimland

that's the sad part.. it's also our only local shop. When we moved here we wanted to support it despite the prices and the unfriendly attitude which I put down to us being 'outsiders' but after a year of this I put my foot down and said no more.. I'd rather drive and waste petrol as put money in their retirement kitty

6. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

We had a similar one 2 miles East in another tiny village, unfortunately lost their PO franchise last year, lovely semi retired couple sold everything from local produce, newspapers, and groceries, shop no longer viable and forced into closure.

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Stewart,

I don't know what you expected her to do, you were trying to apply for tax when there was no proof of insurance.

I would have refused to renew in the same circumstances.

Lunarman

8. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

It took me a couple of years to do it, but now I have MOT,Tax and insurance separated by a month each IE June July and August. So now things are not so hard to get done.

Doug...

9. brodie

brodie Funster

Our PO is exactly the same in regards to attitude. We now do the tax online and I even print off my own labels for parcels when I sell anything on e-bay.

I just take the lot up there to hand it over and I get great satisfaction knowing they wont make a profit off it as you pay it in an account direct to Royal Mail. :Smile:

10. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Whilst I have found the service at my local post office is similarly unfriendly and often unhelpful I have to come to the defence of subpostmasters. I have a son who runs a village shop and post office so I know what the Post Office pays its subpostmasters; he refitted his post office so he could offer a better service to the village and received not one penny from the post office, having to pay for counters, scales, safe, that could only be bought from Post Office Counters; he even had to pay for the Post Office sign to put on the door.
    He is required to work 61/2 days a week for well below the minimum wage and lives permananetly under threat that each week he could have his franchise revoked.

However this is no excuse for rudeness, insensitivity, nor insulting behaviour but it does explain why some subpostmasters are trapped in the Post Office franchise, because it is too expensive to keep going and even more costly to close.
    To those who support their local post offices - good on you - would that the government who shout so loud about keeping local post offices would be as supportive.

Rant over

Norman

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Somewhere is there a tribe of people who have this rude attitude? I think they are part of a master plan to create such people for working in shops and especially as campsite [STRIKE]wardens[/STRIKE]!! holiday managers.:Laughing:

12. scotjimland

Basically I think it's people who are trapped in jobs they don't enjoy, bored and fed up with life they take it out on the public..

In the case of campsite [STRIKE] warders[/STRIKE] wardens, small insignificant individuals all their lives, downtrodden who never achieved anything.. now in their winter years find themselves with a position of power (so they think) and let it go to their heads.

13. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

Couldn't agree more.
    Give a man a uniform........

14. happycampers

happycampers Read Only Funster

After reading the previous posts I consider us very lucky, we have a small village post office and everyone who serves behind the post office counter or in the small shop are such lovely people. Always very helpful and apologietic when they cant do something. As in the first post..... I made the same mistake and couldn't get my tax disc for the same reason but they were very professional about it and explained why and then said sorry.:Smile:

15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

In defence - our village Post Office is excellent in all respects.

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Blimey they get around that couple they're in our local post office as well. This guy makes Basil Faulty on his worst day seem like an angel, he's the rudest man I've ever had the misfortune to meet. Like others I'll drive 10 miles to the next town rather than give him one penny of mine and plenty of others in the village do the same. If it was'nt for the older population in the village I'm sure the PO would shut down, shame because the guy in the other PO 10 miles away is really helpfull and polite.:Smile:

17. buttons

buttons Funster

I always renew my tax on line, takes two minuets, they e-mail a conformation number and the new disc arrives 3 days later Simples :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

Hmm. I'd be curious to check the exact wording of the law as I think the vehicle needs to be insured when you apply, not at the start of the tax period. As it can be checked online, again, I'd be interested as to what the parameters are.

Checked: guidance says is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force.
    (Bet they've changed it over the time I've been driving.)

19. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Not true, go online and try it, same goes for the MOT if the tax starts on the 1st September then you need to have MOT and Insurance on that day.
    Simples.