Taxing a new purchase

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by klaatu, Mar 16, 2016.

1. klaatu

klaatu Funster

I hope to be a buying a new (to me) motorhome in the next couple of weeks. I have a quote for insurance, so just need to phone to start the policy before I drive it away from the dealer.

I was planning to tax it online (paying by monthly DD) immediately after phoning the insurance company. But I'm confused about what checks the online system will do. I believe it can take a week before a new insurance policy appears in the online database. Does the DVLA tax site check the database? If so, it will think I am uninsured, so won't let me tax the vehicle? Or does it not work like that?

Steve

2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

You need the ref from the green slip on the V5, fill this in online, and it will be easy! :D
    The DVLA do check the MID database, but you can do it yourself, here www.askmid.co.uk
    Set up your policy, and give it 24 hours then check.

[edit to add]
    DVLA only check that it is insured, not by whom, so if there is a current policy, you will be able to tax it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

Don't know if this helps but I bought a car and did the insurance at 5 p.m and taxed it next day at 9 a.m before collection and I had no problems.

Richard

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. klaatu

klaatu Funster

You both seem to be saying that I can't do what I was proposing to do, i.e. phone the insurance company to start the policy and then immediately do the road tax, and then drive away. Instead I have to start the policy a day in advance to give it time to get on the database? I don't think it will already be insured in the same way that I will be insuring it, it's owned by a dealer, so he presumably has some other kind of insurance to cover all his vehicles.

Steve

5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Interesting question. When I bought my last car, I arranged and paid the insurance a couple of days before, but the insurance did not start until the day of pick up. On the day of pick up, simply went online and taxed it from the dealership office.

To be honest, there is nothing to be lost by starting the insurance process a couple of days before as the policy runs from the day of pick up anyway, so the only loss is a couple of days cash flow on the cost of the insurance.

Hope that helps...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. klaatu

klaatu Funster

Thanks. There will be a gap of a few days between agreeing to buy and driving away, so it looks like my new plan is to phone insurance company having agreed to buy, and then do road tax a few days later just before driving away.

Steve

• Like Like x 2
  7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I don't think so no. I believe that the insurance companies run an overnight batch process to update the MID, therefore you won't show as insured on the database until after the day you call insurance.

Yes, probably be covered by tradex (or similar) on all the vehicles, so it won't show on MID.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Whenever we've bought cars (and motorhomes) from dealers they have included 6 months or more tax in the deal and have arranged the tax themselves. One of our sons bought a car from a dealer in January and that's what happened then.

I was surprised that he didn't have to take a copy of his insurance certificate in before it could happen but the salesman explained that all he had to do was ensure it was covered from the delivery date and the tax system would pick that up on-line.

Could that be a way round the problem?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The system has changed. I know this because I changed one of the cars last Friday and had chapter and verse from the dealer.

The VED (tax) online system no longer checks insurance or to put it another way you can tax a vehicle without it being insured.

They aren't allowed to do that any more either.

It won't care and it will let you tax the vehicle whether you're insured or not.

In theory they're supposed to. In practice they don't always. I've known it take a 2 or 3 weeks for a vehicle to show up. It's particularly bad for some reason with fleet policies.

Apparently there have been 4 or 5 cases since they changed the system where people have picked up brand new cars, driven them off the forecourt, written them off on the way home and then realised they had forgotten to insure them. That's why the dealer push their complimentary 7 day insurance so hard.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

We did this too when we recently purchased our M.H. & it worked for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. davanne

davanne Funster

I would agree that if you ring the insurance a few days before and arrange for it to start from when you are picking up the vehicle then it will be on the database when you tax online the day before.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

They were in January when our son bought a car as mentioned above. When did it change?

13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

If you buy a brand new vehicle does it still come with 6 months free road tax?

14. NickNic

I'm going by what the dealer told me. Must be quite a recent thing.

The other bit, removing the MID check when taxing a car, came in when the paper discs were scrapped.

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I can confirm an Insurance check no longer applies to on line taxing of vehicles.
    Geo
    And why should it? That is checked by every police car in the UK fitted with ANPR:eek:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Using Google I found several references (like This One) stating that car dealers can continue to tax vehicles for customers on their behalf by using V5C/2, either online at https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc using the V5C/2 of the V5C, by telephone on 0300 123 4321, or at a PO branch that deals with vehicle tax.

17. NickNic

Fair enough (y) I was just going by what he said. I wasn't expecting them to pay for it, just to do it, so I didn't think they had any reason not to if they could.

18. NickNic

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not disputing your experience Nick :).

When I went with Rob to look at cars (and buy as it turned out) I must admit it never even crossed my mind that the dealer wouldn't tax it. Just seemed the usual "includes 6 months tax" deal. The strange thing (we last bought a car in November 2013) was that he didn't have to produce his insurance certificate.

20. frogijock

frogijock Funster

I picked up a new van last week (10/3/16) dealer taxed it for me and I informed insurance company 3 days before collection for them to start insurance as from collection day.

• Like Like x 1