Tax/insurance/MOT (1 Viewer)

K

k1tty

Deleted User
I am not a driver so this is all over my head! I am buying a van next week and will be doing it up whilst getting my license.

I finish uni and plan on driving as fast as legally possible out of this country, and spending a minimum of 1 year around Europe.

I have my own flat so will have a permanent address but there is some areas that make me confused.

The tax I believe I will get for free because of being disabled, I do on my mobility car.
The MOT do I need one in the UK only or for Europe too?
Insurance, now I've read a bit on here but it's all very confusing and I don't want to call the company asking these questions and 'dropping myself in it' If I get insurance for the year do I have to return to the UK once ever 365 days? If something does happen how does it get resolved whilst I'm still travelling? What if I total my van? :cry:

I'll leave it at that for now :Eeek:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Mot

MOT your van before you depart and it lasts 1 yr but must be renewed in the UK DON't think that you can enter the UK with your tax, insurance or MOT out off date as the furthest you will get is your point of entry. Welcome to big brother.:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi K1tty,

road tax and insurance arent a problem if you have internet access while abroad......buy online(in good time) and have a friend/relative post the docs on to you at a campsite/local post office etc when they drop on your doormat.

MOT can ONLY be got in the uk so a return trip is needed but you only need come back to a uk port...not home, book an MOT test at a local garage near the port.

next ferry back to europe:thumb:

ps.....dont forget to tell your insurance co you will be in europe for 12 months......you will need to find a company that will allow that sort of time abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
Thank you!

So my insurance will cover me in the UK, and don't mind I will be in europe all the time.

Do I need the MOT whilst in europe? What about if I just never come back :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2008
Lincoln UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 1997
MOT needs to be renewed yearly. It can be done 2 months in advance. You'll need a valid MOT to travel on the Continent. MOT can be done at nearest MOT station at port of entry town.

Period allowed overseas by insurance companies are limited to what period you've bought. Normally they allow 60 days travel per any one trip. You can extend this by paying extra premium for example for 90, 120 or 180 days. Some companies may insure you for a whole year but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MOT needs to be renewed yearly. It can be done 2 months in advance. You'll need a valid MOT to travel on the Continent. MOT can be done at nearest MOT station at port of entry town.

Period allowed overseas by insurance companies are limited to what period you've bought. Normally they allow 60 days travel per any one trip. You can extend this by paying extra premium for example for 90, 120 or 180 days. Some companies may insure you for a whole year but I doubt it.

comfort insurance cover for 365 days abroad:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
Yeah just finished reading the thread about them, not understanding the problem with people not being classed as fulltime and using a UK address? Does this affect your cover in anyway?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MOT needs to be renewed yearly. It can be done 2 months in advance.

its actually one calender month in advance.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It can be taken in one calender month before the date of expiry to benefit from a 13 month MOT. However an MOT can be done at any time but it will then simply run for the standard 12 months.

im sure Geo can verify this unless its changed recently.
the gov are toying with the idea of a 2 year MOT.......first test for a new car will be 4 years old instead of 3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
about 30 days me thinks
Feb ??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can I be rude and ask your age Kitty :Eeek:Insurance and motor homes dont go well for under 25s

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Aussies come to this Country all the time to do just what you are plannng, they seem to manage OK, all their info is in a paper called "Time Out", I have only known of it in London, but I imagine it's now on the web. They also have a busy market of "vans" and related bits. (at least it USED to have!!!!!!)
Good luck
BTW welcome to the site
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
:Eeek: I'm 24 at the moment but will be 27 when I set off, my bf is a year older than me. I'll be getting my license in the new year but my bf has had his for 6 years now.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it is a requirment for all insurance companies to issue minimal legal insurance for 365 days in europe . but most in uk will tell you its not true. shop around . lots cover all the year .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back