LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just seen an article about the pods and how many are turning up as rubbish on land fill etc. I have a gaggia classic at home which uses ground coffee not pods and a stove top in the van. Just wondering why coffee needs to be packed in tiny plastic or foil pods when it can used as just ground beans without creating all the extra rubbish that must then be disposed of?
Nespresso collect and recycle all pods.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
I don't have a machine but still enjoy my coffee, I can get a box containing 8 or 10 sachets for £1 ... various types including Cafe Latte, Mocha, Cappuccino etc ... I get them from Fulton Foods but they are available elsewhere too ... very nice they are and I have most afternoons as my 'treat'! Just bought 5 boxes so I've got plenty to take away on holiday with me!!!!:D
Not posting for a spat(!!) but these coffee sachets are not coffee in the strictest sense of the word, and def not a coffee connoisseur's choice! If you look on the ingredients they are full of additives, chemicals and fats.
I also question the materials the pods are made and if like the bleach in tea bags if any of material in pods seaps into coffee. We use ground coffee in cafetière style mugs, SmartCafe, filtered water from Kettle and unadulterated real coffee. No space taken in van for machine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a Tassimo in the house as we like a nice coffee. So when the new van had a special drop down shelf to put a coffee machine on it seemed rude not to ;)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm a keen coffee drinker, and have tasted pod type coffee of which I am not at all impressed. It may have been down to the coffee used, but my impression is that you do not have the choice of varieties that you do with beans or ground coffee, mostly the mass-market medium blend only stuff chosen by the multi-national machine manufacturer. I'm sure others will deny this.

Since my wife prefers instant coffee (!) I have a Smart Café, which is a cafétière in a mug. It makes the best coffee I've tasted and you have lots of choice of varieties. And being double insulated it's ideal for outdoor use as well. The big issue is what to do with the grounds when on-site. Which is why the pods have taken off, I suppose. It's not a good idea to swill it into the waste tank, and really does need a good swill to clean. We have become adept at minimising the amount of water needed, but haven't really got an answer for the actual grout waste. Just a little trip to the nearest drain. But it's worth it.

7167uhzShcL._SX425_.jpg
Smart Café cafetiere mug

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm a keen coffee drinker, and have tasted pod type coffee of which I am not at all impressed. It may have been down to the coffee used, but my impression is that you do not have the choice of varieties that you do with beans or ground coffee, mostly the mass-market medium blend only stuff chosen by the multi-national machine manufacturer. I'm sure others will deny this.

Since my wife prefers instant coffee (!) I have a Smart Café, which is a cafétière in a mug. It makes the best coffee I've tasted and you have lots of choice of varieties. And being double insulated it's ideal for outdoor use as well. The big issue is what to do with the grounds when on-site. Which is why the pods have taken off, I suppose. It's not a good idea to swill it into the waste tank, and really does need a good swill to clean. We have become adept at minimising the amount of water needed, but haven't really got an answer for the actual grout waste. Just a little trip to the nearest drain. But it's worth it.

7167uhzShcL._SX425_.jpg
Smart Café cafetiere mug

I have one of these that I bought at a wholesaler a few years back.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just seen an article about the pods and how many are turning up as rubbish on land fill etc. I have a gaggia classic at home which uses ground coffee not pods and a stove top in the van. Just wondering why coffee needs to be packed in tiny plastic or foil pods when it can used as just ground beans without creating all the extra rubbish that must then be disposed of?

What could work is a reusable resealable pod, but you probably still couldn't adjust the measure of coffee inside. Possibility of a new product?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a tassimo bedside at home - perfect for a wake up drink before getting out of bed... Perfect too for one cup of coffee, and a cup of tea for your bed partner - no sending anyone down to the kitchen :D.

La Dolce Vita is alive and well in Lincolnshire.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not posting for a spat(!!) but these coffee sachets are not coffee in the strictest sense of the word, and def not a coffee connoisseur's choice! If you look on the ingredients they are full of additives, chemicals and fats.
I also question the materials the pods are made and if like the bleach in tea bags if any of material in pods seaps into coffee. We use ground coffee in cafetière style mugs, SmartCafe, filtered water from Kettle and unadulterated real coffee. No space taken in van for machine!
Not bothered ... I have at most one a day and enjoy it ... so there! :p

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What could work is a reusable resealable pod, but you probably still couldn't adjust the measure of coffee inside. Possibility of a new product?
I was in Lidl today and notice they do a range of pods, not sure what machine's they'd fit but they did have quite a selection of 'flavours/coffee types'.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Not bothered ... I have at most one a day and enjoy it ... so there! :p
Very well said.... I'm not posh enough to be a connoisseur of anything, but I enjoy the taste of the pods that I buy and that is all I need.

When I've saved up enough for my 'bean to cup' Jura Giga 5 machine, no doubt I'll be back to tell you that I was wrong ;-)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
When I've saved up enough for my 'bean to cup' Jura Giga 5 machine, no doubt I'll be back to tell you that I was wrong ;-)
Quite. Not many buyers of expensive machines would admit that, having spent all that money.
I was in Lidl today and notice they do a range of pods, not sure what machine's they'd fit but they did have quite a selection of 'flavours/coffee types'.
I've tried most of the range in the French Aldi stores, and thought they were naff. (My son in France is the owner of the pod machine I've sampled most. They shop in Aldi. I now mostly drink tea there – or more likely the local red wine)

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just am update if anyone interested, which I doubt. have now tried cappuccino, latte, pure columbian, Americano, Cafe Hag and Cadbury's chocolate. Happy with all of the but the favourite is cappuccino closely followed by Americano. Of course the Chocolate is great on a cold day with a little brandy added. :smiley:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Just am update if anyone interested, which I doubt. have now tried cappuccino, latte, pure columbian, Americano, Cafe Hag and Cadbury's chocolate. Happy with all of the but the favourite is cappuccino closely followed by Americano. Of course the Chocolate is great on a cold day with a little brandy added. :smiley:
Brandy in first then...well, nothing...just brandy. Coffee schmoffee!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014

We have a Nespresso machine at home and love it so much we bought a small one for the MH, which we use sparingly, the pods are not cheap....(about 30p each) We also use a cafetiere with good ground coffee for more 'everyday' use, and a kettle for making tea! We recycle the pods through a free service run by Nespresso.

Last edited:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner

Ta for the tip. Ordered one on Amazpn Prime and it came today. Looks the biz. Just need to 'test drive' it now. Excited...yeah I know, I should get out more!
7167uhzShcL._SX425_.jpg
Smart Café cafetiere mug

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I bought a Gaggia Classic machine a couple of years ago after reading Scotchjims good report on here, found it to be a total waste of time and reverted to instant coffee, mind you I got a good price for it when I put it on eBay, the bids kept going up and up. I now have a Tassimo and find it makes an acceptable drink without any hassle.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't stand either instant or "pod" coffee. Foul muck the lot of it :sick: I'd rather drink tea than any of that filth.

For coffee I have a Gaggia expresso machine at home which is awesome and a Bialetti Moka Express in the van which is nearly as good.

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
I had a Tassimo for a couple of years I found the cost of the pods very expenses. I purchased a bean to cup Delonghi for home and an Aerobie AeroPress coffee maker for our travels. I use the same beans in both so get a good cup of coffee home and away. Tea it's a bag in a cup but you are right I thought the tea tasted strange in the Tassimo.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well, we have a Delonghi bean to cup job at home, having graduated from the Tassimo, and now I have bought a couple of these, I am a convert. Very grateful for the good tip.

The Tassimo tea, from recollection, was a bit "odd". I think it was a mix formulated to brew at a lower temperature and had a slightly bitter tang from memory.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a Tassimo Hot Water Disc off Amazon for £8.99. Not noticed any taste of plastic with this gadget and use it to make tea, cuppa soups etc.
Hope this solves your problem?
Sue

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We bought a Tassimo Hot Water Disc off Amazon for £8.99. Not noticed any taste of plastic with this gadget and use it to make tea, cuppa soups etc.
Hope this solves your problem?
Sue

Thank you, now the machine has been used for a few weeks i have tried the cleaning disc again and the plastic taste/smell has gone. I suspect this was occurring because the machine was new but all is fine now, I think its a great machine, makes very good coffee and other drinks.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just wondering if anyone has one of these Tassimo machines. I bought one thinking it would be good for travel and indeed it does make very good coffee and hot chocolate. However, when I just use it for hot water by re using an empty milk disc or the cleaning disc there is a slight smell of plastic to the water and resultant tea and also a slight after taste. Just wondering if that's something that will improve the more I use it or if there is a fix.
We have;
a kettle, a spoon, a bottle of Nescafe Alto Rico, and 2 cups,,, sweetners and milk "on the side",,, personally I take mine black...
Works every time. (y):D

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Do you mean you had a Tassimo but took it back and now use instant coffee instead ?
No Borr.
Now would you be an absolute sweetheart and kindly explain how you drew that assumption from my post,???
One must never stop listening, looking and learning, must one. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No Borr.
Now would you be an absolute sweetheart and kindly explain how you drew that assumption from my post,???
One must never stop listening, looking and learning, must one. :rolleyes:

I wasn't assuming anything I misread your post, I though you said take yours "back" when you actually said , you take yours "black" and no, one must not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back