Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
differances

Diesel Fuel

• Diesel is a middle weight result of distillation that is heavier than gasoline and has the appearance of oil. It does not evaporate as quickly nor is it as volatile as gasoline and takes less refining to make, which often makes diesel less expensive than gasoline. Diesel is used to power generators as well as buses, trucks, trains and boats. An ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) with a sulfur content less than 15 parts per million is used for road vehicles.
Heating Oil

• Home heating oil is a generic term for a variety of fuel formulations and can be a mixture with heavier oil similar to motor oil, which can provide more heat while burning less fuel. While home heating fuel No. 2 is normally used for home heating, other substitutes can include standard road diesel No. 2, diesel No.1, kerosene, jet fuel, agricultural diesel, home heating fuel Oil No. 4, and home heating fuel oil No. 6.
Power Differences

• Home heating fuel oil is slightly heavier than diesel fuel but shares similar heat-producing properties. A diesel engine produces approximately 139,000 BTUs (British Thermal Unit) of energy per gallon, the same as heating oil’s 139,000 Btu per gallon. Home heating fuel oil No. 4 and Home Heating Fuel Oil No. 6 offer slightly higher BTU content.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So what price is kerosene per litre ?
If I mixed a gallon of oil in say 45 galls of this it would give the required lubricant.
After mixing would it qualify as home made bio ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So what price is kerosene per litre ?
If I mixed a gallon of oil in say 45 galls of this it would give the required lubricant.
After mixing would it qualify as home made bio ::bigsmile:
In a word NO.
Kerosene is illegal to use in road going vehicles in any form.
The only way round not paying road fuel tax is going down the biofuel route.
There's plenty of info on the net regarding its use,so its not necessary to fall foul of HMC&E.
Biofuels are also legal anywhere in Europe,but because your not paying road fuel tax,its illegal to sell it,but legal to make it for your own use.
That's why I have long range tanks fitted,not much use running on bio if you only have 400 mile range.I carry over 500 litres of fuel,that's what makes it worthwhile running a yank,PAYLOAD.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back