Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
As I'm looking at adverts I see various capacities mentioned for fresh water, grey water and toilets, but they don't mean a lot to me. What is the optimum capacity which would let me drop in to sites about every 5 days or so?
Cheers, John

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As I'm looking at adverts I see various capacities mentioned for fresh water, grey water and toilets, but they don't mean a lot to me. [HI]What is the optimum capacity[/HI] which would let me drop in to sites about every 5 days or so?
Cheers, John

Of what, grey, fresh or Black Water? And then it kinda depends on how often you use it surely?

I have a Geist Spirit on a Ducato and I can manage for about three days before I need fresh water, I can go longer for black water because we rarely use the Thetford.

Grey water I can manage for about 5 days if we use showers on site and 3 days if not.......:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Theres no real answer to this, depends on what you use. Experienced motorhomers are used to being very frugal with water use and can probably go for up to a week without problem with water/grey. Toilet tank tends to fill up quicker (much smaller) so some carry an extra tank, and some have various (often rather disgusting) ideas of how to make them last longer.
Will also depend very much on how many of you there are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Not as long as I hoped for then.

I don't normally get through much fresh water camping, but of course I'm on a site if I'm staying in an area for more than a week, so can fill the kettle from a tap. Boats are even better with pump out toilets and massive water tanks.

I would guess the main use of water in a motorhome would be the shower, but I have no idea how much the average shower takes, so no way of working it out. Fresh water isn't a problem as I've got enough sterilising gear to use water pumped on board from clean streams.

Grey water recycling could be an option, removing impurities to allow disposal in normal drains, but I have no idea if a system already exists which doesn't cost the earth. Not really room for a composting toilet in an average sized motorhome either::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're out in the wild, as I assume you must be if you're getting your water from streams, then an idea I came across somewhere may work for grey disposal.

The idea is you have a bucket, with holes in the bottom, which you half fill with straw, dry bracken or whatever's available. You then leave your waste tap open draining into the bucket. The straw or whatever acts as a filter, removing all the grease rice and stuff and the filtered water just oozes out of the bottom and soaks into the ground. You can then bag up the straw and dispose of in a rubbish bin.:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Is there a legal requirement to have a grey water tank?

I can't remember there being one on our demountable , or anything else around at the time, although I wouldn't dream of not using one now. The filter idea would work well, as most of the grey constituents of grey water are obviously solids, or fats in suspension.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Simple really
You need an American RV:thumb: