Tambour doors rattling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by honkytonkpiano, Jun 8, 2014.

1. honkytonkpiano

honkytonkpiano Read Only Funster

Has anyone solved a problem of rattling and vibration from a tambour door? The toilet door on my Autocruise Jazz makes a terrific racket on rough road surfaces, and until I solve that, I won't be able to identify the many other sources of noise and vibration! All ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Rattles

Earplugs!?
    :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to fun. Friends of ours used polystyrene packing foam shapes as wedges, jammed top and bottom of door. Hope this helps.

4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I close mine when travelling and it's fine !

5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

The posher version of our motorhome has a velcro strap to fasten the tambour door back when travelling (chausson welcome 510)

David

6. honkytonkpiano

Thanks, David. Would it be possible to post images showing where and how the vecro strap has secured the door, please?
    Best regards,
    Mike

7. honkytonkpiano

Turning the radio up louder would also help but that's really intended as a solution for rattles in a company car...

8. honkytonkpiano

I've also tried door wedges and even a rubber sink drainage mat. The latter made a little bit of a difference, but I am concerned that I migh eventually make the doors curve a bit. I just wish Autocruise had used an ordinary sliding door: this tambour door doesn't go round any corners, so it seems a bit overkill for a straight run.

9. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I see what you mean. The one I've seen with wedges is curved. I've also noticed a van with the Velcro strap to hold it back. The strap was fixed to the hinge side of door and held the door shut.

I'm wondering about a cheap sleeping camping bed roll thing, as the sink mat worked for you. You maybe could cut a long strip to cushion the door when shut?

If you manage to come along to a meet, we could all have a look and scratch our heads with you!

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i solved this issue on a previous van by fitting 2 elasticated straps, one 6inches down from the top, the other 6inches up from the bottom. i used a self tapping screw and a washer to hold to the inside edge of the door and a larger pan headed screw on the outside door frame. the tighter you can get it, the less it rattles. I would prefer to see a bifold door than a tambour one on the bathroom. they really arent ideal in a motorhome, but the designers rarely use their products.

the other problem we had was on 2 occassions the door jumped out of its runners and jammed half open. its a right pain to put right when you can only reach one side of the door

• Like Like x 1