Talking of LGP.. Info needed on tanks (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can anyone who has a big LPG tank tell me if they cut off ok when you fill up ?

Seriously looking at dumping the Alugas bottles and going with a big fixed tank

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Can anyone who has a big LPG tank tell me if they cut off ok when you fill up ?

Seriously looking at dumping the Alugas bottles and going with a big fixed tank
I have 2 tanks for LPG on my RV both fill and cut off as they should no problems with them the domestic tank has a screw connector this has to be removed and the protective plastic cap fitted to keep the valve clean at all times

best system i have ever had and no heavy bottles to tug about :thumb:

yours IanF

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I've never had it not cut out on me. It's one of the best mods we've done. Never any need to worry about gas as it holds about 40 kilos (about three and a half bottles) and we generally pay less than 70p a litre, though there is a scheme where gas can be purchased for less than 60p if you join and pay a membership fee, which probably outweighs the advantage of the cheaper gas, though I haven't done the calculation yet.
Only problem I've had is the Devon hedge ripping off the plastic cover for the filler and it was a bit fiddly replacing it - might make some sort of shield for it when I get round to it.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had ours fitted earlier this year by Autogas 2000 near Thirsk and have been very satisfied and certainly no problem when filling.:thumb: Brian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I have been very happy with the Alugas system and have filled it all over the continent.. But with things changing in Zahora I want to be able to store more gas than we currently can, hence the move

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to change as they will probably take the alugas in part exchange or for what you can sell the alugas kit for you will possibly be able to buy the tank its just a case of the cost of fitting.

but remember you will probably be able to use your existing filler point.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, but no chance any other bugger is touching my van...
All the mods from the awning to the tv antenna to the Alugas I did my self..
Actually...........
The only things I did not do myself was the remap ( but have since borrowed an interface and downloaded the map to my laptop ) and the original auto sat system as the price included fitting.. But then since it was installed I have retro fitted a new control unit, changed the way it is wired, changed the LNB and changed the receiver type !!

So not a lot of chance I will be getting any money back from myself on the bottle :ROFLMAO:

Oh, and I am currently negotiating for an 8 month old 45 ltr tank with all fittings for the staggering sum of £15.00 ( Currently in a truck and being replaced with a much bigger one )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Step one completed

Tank bought that fits up between the chassis rails... Collecting it tomorrow

Straps and mounts will be made within the next few days so MIGHT get it all done before we go away....

having said that, I will proly leave the Alugas cylinder in place as it is full at the moment, so we will use that on our troll across Europe and fill the new tank as and when :thumb:

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Has anyone had issues going through the tunnel with LPG? I remember being asked but we are now thinking of getting it done.

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Hi,SaschandGin, Lpg powered vehicles are not allowed through the tunnel.
Can't understand that when motorhomes and caravans are allowed to carry gas bottles as long as they are turned off.

Hi John, how are you and Mo? Are you going to Pinar this Winter? We will be there from January to April.

Dave

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi,SaschandGin, Lpg powered vehicles are not allowed through the tunnel.
Can't understand that when motorhomes and caravans are allowed to carry gas bottles as long as they are turned off.

Hi John, how are you and Mo? Are you going to Pinar this Winter? We will be there from January to April.

Dave

Hiya Dave,
woman is, as always, woman !! LOL !!

Yep ! we booked our pitch whilst there.. That is one of the main reasons for the swap to a larger tank..
With the expected charge for leccy now, we will be doing most of what we can on gas !!

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Ok John, look forward to seeing you in January.

Dave

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes there is a limit

Gas containers

If travelling with a campervan, caravan or van, any gas container must be declared when asked, and will be checked at the appropriate checkpoint by Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.

Allowed Gas Quantities
Maximum allowed quantity Maximum filling rate
Kg L % L
1 "mobile" container 47 +/- 93 - -
Several "mobile" containers 50 +/- 99 - -
1 "fixed" container 47 +/- 93 80 +/- 73
Several "fixed" containers 50 +/- 99 80 +/- 79

Transport of gas containers to power domestic services* for caravans, campervans, vehicles fitted out as a campervan are restricted as outline below:
Mobile gas container

If your vehicle is fitted with a "mobile" gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) for a single container and is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) in the case of several containers.

Fixed gas container

If your vehicle is fitted with a "fixed" gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) for a single container and the maximum filling rate is 80% (or approximately 73 litres). In the case of several fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) on the whole with a maximum filling rate of 80% per container (or approximately 79 litres).
This filling rate will be checked via the gauge. If no gauge is present, the vehicle will be refused.

Both mobile and fixed containers

If your vehicle is fitted with a combination of mobile and fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg and rules previously described applies.

Note: Containers must be easy of access by our staff for any check.

When travelling gas containers must be switched off and connection systems must be in good condition.

Opening container tap or using domestic services are strictly forbidden until the unloading on the opposite terminal.

*cooking, refrigeration, heating, water heaters...

In case of non compliance with these conditions Eurotunnel Le Shuttle reserves the right to cancel your journey.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Dont feel bad about it, LPG is banned from most tunnels in this country, even the dartford Tunnel. There is a differentiation between gas bottles and a tank.........under ADR regs, bottles are classed as "packages" tanks are..of course, tanks, and have slightly different regulations.
Tunnels are built and designed to obviously keep out whatever is outside, thewy also vent large amounts of exhaust fumes anf heat. LPG is heavier than air, and sinks, it also expands up to 250 times, and is highly explosive at that dilution.
This puts the fear of God himslef into tunnel operators, as a small amount of LPG, ignited by a tiny spark, could have catastrophic results.
When driving for Calor gas at Coryton, we could go over thw bridge, but had to go all the way around the M25 to get back.......they have only just started allowing cylinder trucks therough, after yeras and years of petitioning.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Link Removed

LOL !!!
Went and collected mine from the pressure testers this afternoon..
Total cost for tank, SOME fittings ( but not quite all ) and to have it pressure tested and re-cerficated ( including them re-painting the damned thing and fitting new plate ! ) £36.00

Noooooooo That is not a mistake... £36.00 :thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Had a 55 litre underslung tank fitted last year, the filler is in the floor of the old gas locker and the remote gauge is five green LED's on a panel inside the MH, I have learnt that when there is one light left on its still one third full.
The filling is easy and it cuts off when full, for me this is not about saving money although that is handy its about not having to collect bottles and shove them in a locker and reconnect them.

Me I think its brilliant

Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back