Talk about a kit car job .. 3 orders (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You know those 5 minute jobs, that take two hours? well I am now doing one that is running into weeks.

MInd it does not help when you have to keep ordering extra bits as the supplier seems to supply simple items in a kit format.

So what has got my feathers ruffled today?

I have recently aquired a Brian James Trailer to tow behind my RV .. no toads for me.. put the Hyudia on a mans trailer... now this trailer is a big boys toy and comes in at 18'6" long, 4 wheeled and brakes and has a power winch if needed. But at present the car is just driven up the loading ramps. No issue about Spain or Belgium for me....

Anyway I needed to extend the trailer cables as I often use a Reece towbar extension ... typical the cables are 6" to short. Simple buy some extentions... OK look at Towsure site and see there is the item.. only problem it comes with two male plugs..one each end. Blast that means now ordering a female plug.. yes they do one and no it is not like an extention lead you have to rewire one end... by now we are in week two. I mentioned the trailer had an electric winch (Own battery supply) but there is a caravan type plug so you can keep the battery charged when on the move.. only ..yes the cable is 6" short.. here we go again. But then I need to fit a socket on the RV.. no problem they sell them, so I order one... BUT, always a but in my stories. You have to order seperate the rubber backing plate and the bolts to go through the socket. Now I though the items were cheap until I added them up and the postage.

I could have gone to Halfords and got everything in one go rather than work my way through pages of an on line catalogue... so cheap is not always the answer. I am 95% there, but I only have another 5 minute job to do... well I will when the last bits ordered arrive and ....for on Thursday last week and here we are a week later and still nothing arrived which means my 5 minute job is not going to get done to the weekend at this rate.

Is there a moral in this I wonder?

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is there a moral in this I wonder?

Bob:Blush:

hmmm.. dunno Bob.. I thought you were bored .. :roflmto:

back to your post.. extending the cables using extension cables is just adding more potential problems for the future .. A better plan would be to replace the trailer cables with correct length .. yes, I appreciate that may be more expensive and time consuming but in the long run a far better job.. OR and it depends on your soldering skills, extend the existing cables.
Solder each core and stagger the joints then insulate individually with heat shrink sleeves or , self amalgamating tape, then finally cover the lot with more of said tape..

If I lived anywhere near you I would gladly help out .. I'm also bored

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You just have given me a shout. I could have got them for you and sent them up at trade price (or made custom ones). You know for the future. anyway!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
You just have given me a shout. I could have got them for you and sent them up at trade price (or made custom ones). You know for the future. anyway!:thumb:

But then he wouldn't have the fun of writing his posts ....
Give him a break - he loves it ... :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hmmm.. dunno Bob.. I thought you were bored .. :roflmto:

back to your post.. extending the cables using extension cables is just adding more potential problems for the future .. A better plan would be to replace the trailer cables with correct length .. yes, I appreciate that may be more expensive and time consuming but in the long run a far better job.. OR and it depends on your soldering skills, extend the existing cables.
Solder each core and stagger the joints then insulate individually with heat shrink sleeves or , self amalgamating tape, then finally cover the lot with more of said tape..

If I lived anywhere near you I would gladly help out .. I'm also bored

a far cheaper and easier way to Jims suggestion....

look under any caravan and many motorhomes you will find a waterproof joint box fixed to the chassis for the 'running' lights.
usually a plastic/ABS box with a clear lid.

it would be easy to buy said joint box, or a waterproof electrical joint box with compression (stuffing) glands, cut the existing wires and add new lengths in the box.

the joint would be permenant and not subject to wear and tear.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The above, is how HGV trailers are wired, and how mine will be wired soon, also saves SOOOOO much trouble if you ever have a fault.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back