Tales of the Fiat "judder"

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by knokinonabit, Aug 20, 2012.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

After owning our MH for four weeks now it has just been to North East Truck and Van to let them "diagnose" the reverse judder.
    The conclusion is that yes, it does judder. Now documented for future reference.
    The solution ?
    Try to hold it at 1000 to 1200 rpm when reversing as it doesn't judder then.
    When I raised concerns about the life of the clutch I was assured that as everything was now logged in with Fiat, any resulting damage would be rectified by them, at their cost. I believe that this is open ended, but I won't be holding my breath.
    At the time there was another two MHs in requiring remedial work (this is a truck garage, not a MH one). One (a six wheel Swift) was in for recall work to have bolts replaced in the enginge that had fallen out :Eeek: , and the other, an Autotrail, was having a new turbo fitted. All three of them (mine included) were 12 reg.
    The owner of the Swift said he wished he had never laid eyes on it and the owner of the Autotrail wanted his Peugout based MH back.
    It doesn't inspire much confidence for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buttons

buttons Funster

That sounds worrying, they cant put restrictions like that, on a new vehicle. What if you need to reverse up a steep hill. :Eeek:

3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Well if you try to hold engine at 1000...to...1200 rpm...what motorway was you and the mechanic reversing down,:Eek!: is there a limit on the motorway for reversing.......

At 70mph mine is doing 2000 rpm (forward:driving2:) :Eeek::Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:......... this 1200 rpm is all the time even when you are doing a parallel park between two other vehicles ( without slipping the clutch)

I would have thought most of the time tick-over around 750-800rpm:thumb:.would have been suficiant:thumb:....I use very little throttle on mine:thumb:

just joking:RollEyes::Wink::Wink: I hope you get it sorted soon.....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. Phill D

Phill D

When i had a problem on last motorhome ( an in warrenty Fiat x250 ) i phoned Fiat camper services and found them really helpfull. They gave me an incident number ( without this Fiat dont recognise you have a potential claim ) . They then booked the vehicle at the nearwst Fiat motorhome workshop for a mod kit to be fitted. They even called me after the fit to ensure i was happy.

Sorry dont have the number to hand but its on the Motorhome web pages. Hope this helps.

I would not be believing the garage that Fiat will replace the clutch because its being ridden!

5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

You don't need a steep hill.
    Just reversing onto the levelling ramps is bad enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Without joking, 800 rpm is tickover and that generates enough power to reverse without slipping the clutch and get onto the levelling ramps, which should leave one foot over the clutch and one over the brake. Trying to hold the revs steady and stop in the correct position without rolling back down or over the back of the levellers is not easily achieved.....
    Using the handbrake doesn't work so well as it is a transmission brake and makes the MH rock even more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Thanks for the info. I will look it up ont' t'net.

I am with you regards replacing the clutch, even though they assure me that is what will happen.

8. buttons

buttons Funster

Am I missing something, Fiat have known about this judder fault for a number of years, why do newly produced vans still require a post production mod kit to be fitted:Doh:

9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Cos Fiat are in denial. :Angry:

10. Phill D

Phill D

Not sure, except i am aware motorhome builders buy "shed loads" of chassis at one time to get best deal on price. So a chassis can be hanging about for a long time in someones yard.

This is borne out by the fact that all Fiat repairers want to see the V5 to copy to Fiat to prove date of registration and therefore get paid for the job...:thumb:u

11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I was asked for my V5 this morning. Didn't have it with me but they did a lot of checking via vin and registration.

12. Phill D

Phill D

Is the van a 2012 euro V emissions?

13. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It's 2011 but was only registered when we bought it four weeks ago.
    The dealer who had the Autotrail franchise went bust and this is one of his stock, eventually taken over by another dealer.
    It's a Ducato 160 Multijet, 3ltr., 6 speed.

14. Phill D

Phill D

Its quite likely no mod has been done..

15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Not doubting you in any way but a bit surprised that they owned up to a problem on the 3.0 litre. Supposedly no judder exists on these.........

16. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I don't know which engine you have but the 3 litre was supposed to be ok, but somer were not. I presented my vehicle to my Peugeot dealer at Darlington in 2008 because of severe vibration, not judder, when reversing. They assured me that the fault was logged and if any future problems arose they would cover the repair. This proved tobe a total load of the usual crap they feed us to make us go away. Last year and 11000 miles the dreaded slip started so I returned to the dealer, and guess what? They would not honour there promise and a new clutch was required. I then went to a proper garage who stated the clutch slip was minimal only occuring at a certain rev range. Needless to say that vehicle was moved on and I bought a Renault, only one fault in 6000 miles so fingers crossed.
    Good luck with your vehicle but be very careful who and what you believe.

17. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

agree here
    my previous van 09 registered was delivered to converter in 2007[delivery papers were in owners folder.] judder started after getting caught in france haveing to reverse up steep road which was allmost imposable .full upgrade arranged by fiat top service. different van to drive. much less noise in cab could reverse without clutch slip around my house from the rear.

now have 2012 euro 5 chassis. same low reverse so no judder problem,about 25% better economy, less gearchanges[better tourqe range]
    i never heard an acceptance of problem on the bigger engine although 1 or 2 have experienced i beleive
    best of luck sorting

18. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I thought that in 2008 when I purchased my van. After returning to my dealer 17 times, yes 17 times for recalls I became very chatty with the lads at the dealership workshop.
    They said it was more of a heavy vibration on the 3 litre because of the increased weight but it was, and always will be, a problem.

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I think it depends of just what the converter ordered with the 3 litre as there are 3 different ratio final drive units fitted

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Is there STILL a problem with new Fiats?:Eek!: I thought it was all sorted now otherwise I wouldn't have bought one (getting it in just over a week :thumb:).

Is there a way of checking the build date of the chassis - with our Ford we could go to the Ford ETIS web and check it on there - is there such a thing for Fiats?