Talbot/Hymer brakes

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by andi4x4, Aug 24, 2010.

1. andi4x4

andi4x4 Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I have recently been "Gifted" a 1988 2.5td Talbot Hymer B594 ( I think ! ) which has a faulty brake master cylinder. Does anyone know which Talbot model this was based on so that I can order the relevent part for repair ? or is there a specific Hymer part number for the master cylinder ?

thanks !

Andi

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

It will not be a Hymer part number as they do not make the Cab/mechanical part of the motorhome.

It will be a Talbot / Fiat whatever common or garden master cylinder, take it off and go round the breakers or motor factors with it, you may even be able to get a kit to recon it with

Peter

3. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

The Talbot Express/Peugeot J5/Citroen C25/Fiat Ducato are all the same vehicle and many spares are available from the dealers. Check prices, though, as they can differ wildly from one dealer to another.

Alternatively, there's always eBay or, as Peter says, your local motor spares shop or breaker.

4. patr

patr Read Only Funster

Andi

I have used this firm

http://www.brakes.org.uk/

in the past and they provide a very comprehensive on-line catalogue for all makes.

I believe that your vehicle is similar to the early Fiat Ducato's/Citroen C25 and the catalogue shows two master cylinders for your vehicle year. The master cylinder could be either a 2 or 4 bolt fitting and the prices vary from £53.59 to £48.42.

Part numbers are BMC4343 or BMC 4459 respectively.

I would think that any good Motor Factor would be able to get the cylinders for you but I have been delighted with the next day service of Brakeparts.

5. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

I have a 91 petrol Talbot and according to the Russek book all the brake master cylinders were Girling but different sizes were used. £50-ish isn't out of the way for a new master cylinder.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Nearly all Motor Factors these days use DVLA Registration software to identify vehicles so just provide reg number when ordering and you will get the right part
    Im talking motor trade type factors here
    not Halfrauds, quick fits or A1 motorparts etc
    Try Partco:thumb:
    Geo

7. andi4x4

andi4x4 Read Only Funster

Hi Everyone !

Wow ! Thanks for all the advice with this - very greatful !

I haven't got the front panel off yet to check, but, will have a look at it today and get one ordered. We have a Partco agent on the Isle of Man so getting the right part shouldn't be too much trouble.

@Geo -

unfortuntately my Hymer is Manx registered, so, the avarage motor factors would not be able to find it on the DVLA list. This is because the UK DVLA do not list Manx registrations in their database due the the UK and Manx VRO's being totally independent of each other - However, if I could find out what its old UK registration number was, then, this could be done, so long as the old reg hasn't been reissued to another vehicle as a private plate !