Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Folks,

One for the mechanics here I think !

I need to remover the cylinder head from my Talbot 2.5TD to get some welding done on it, but, I am having trouble finding a head gasket set on 'Tinterweb - Parts are notoriously expensive on the Isle of man, particularly if you have to special order them.

So, I need a good reliable source for these sorts of parts that will do mail order or post out to me.

I may need a new/recon/good s/h head too, but, wont know till I get the old one off and check it, so, any advice on good sources of these too. It might also be useful to know which vehicles used this particular diesel engine ( someone mentioned Land Rovers ? ! ) as there may be a source on the island for a s/h head.

Obviously, if there is a major problem showing itself, once removed, then it will have to be replaced, but, otherwise, if nothing obvious, I will inspect it, get the obvious welding done, and refit it if it seems ok, but, will only really know once it has been refitted and the vehicle is back in use for a while.

Any advice warmly welcomed !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if it is repairable i suggest having it skimmed and pressure tested afterwards then source an 'oversize' gasket...usually around 5 thou thicker, in increments of 5 thou, depending on how much was taken off this time and possibly in the past.
a standard gasket wont be any good once skimmed....too much compression and little, if any, valve/piston clearance

the welding may distort the face and if it isnt skimmed it will blow again.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Link Removed

Very helpful people for things Talbot and Citroen.

Nick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back