Talbot Glendale Rear Seat Belts question (1 Viewer)

Pento1

Free Member
May 23, 2011
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All, I am new to the world of motorhomes and to this forum...so hello everyone :). I have recently acquired a 1985 Talbot Express (5 berth) in excellent condition. I have a 7 month old baby boy and the idea of the motorhome purchase was to have many family camping experiences. I am looking for some advise on getting seat belts installed in the back of the motorhome that can be used for a forward facing child seat. Thanks....Pento1

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya and welcome to MHF.
Does your Motorhome have the rear facing seat behind the drivers seat or just bench seats?
Reason I ask is that you wont get anyone to fit lap-strap belts on a side facing seat. When your Mh was made you didnt have to have seat belts in the back.
You may get someone to fit them on the rear facing seat if you have one.
I know you said you wanted a front facing car seat , did you mean front facing on the chair or front facing towards the cab of the vehicle?
You may find that you end up having to have the baby on the front passenger seat. Someone else may say different but thats what I'm led to believe. Hope you can get sorted out.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Pento1

Welcome to MH Fun first

Getting retro fitted seat belts is almost impossible, older vans don't have the necessary mounting points. Most of the structures inside the van are built with wood and not like modern ones that have seatbelts fitted with a metal framework fixed to the base chassis, and mounting points fitted prior to building the interior of the van.

Most workshops will not take the risk of fitting due to health and safety restrictions to the best of my knowledge, as they would be responsible if any thing went wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Unlikely you will get anyone to retrofit belts as the proper mountings wont be there.

Many years ago I fitted a seat belt mounted child seat in the back of a Kon-Tiki 650 to a rear facing seat, as I thought that would be safer than forward facing. I constructed a dexion frame within the seat box, bolted through the floor and mounted the seat belt to that.
While this was not as strong as a proper chassis mount, it was much better than having a baby bouncing around loose at the back. In those days seatbelts were not compulsory and so a seven berth van could be fitted with just two seatbelts as in this case. The baby I made it for is now 6ft 8" so obviously it didn't stunt his growth :roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site from another pompey lad. (though now living in Devon) I am afraid retro fit seat belts will most likely be impossible commercially. I also seem to remember it is illegal to have a childs seat in the front of the cab (could be wrong) So it looks like it will be down to you to fit something you are happy with as garages will not take the risk.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sorry no can do without aproved fixing/anchor points in addition you could invalidate your insurance.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back