Taking the plunge! France

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by escapecommittee, Aug 27, 2016.

1. escapecommittee

escapecommittee Funster

Finally we have a motorhome, a weekend's experience and a ferry crossing from Dover to Calais in mid-September with a plan to return after two weeks. We shall be heading SW to Calvados for part of the trip. Bearing in mind that we are beginners, any tips for places to stop on the way? (apart from the motorhome we do not have bikes, scooter or towed cars but like to see historical sites and beauty spots....dont mind walking). Also any practical stuff on extra equipment needed for France. Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. laneside

laneside Funster

Hey be careful as France can be habit forming, as you can see we now live there.

Enjoy your trip

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

We often use "all the sites France" sold by vicarous books (order over the phone or online". Lots of the sites are within walking distance to towns with historical sites.

4. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

We usually use Campercontact on a tablet. If you buy the full version of the app it's available offline. Think it's £4.99 a year. The app is called "motorhomeparkings - campercontact".

Denise

5. Speve

Speve Funster

It's called All the Aires France a really useful set of books(y);)

• Like Like x 1
  6. laneside

laneside Funster

Much depends if you want to stay on campsites or aires, many campsites close at the end of August in France. The aires are brilliant and many are free or just a few euros, as has been said the Campercontact is well worth downloading so that you can do a bit of planning beforehand. Do not make ridgid plans as it is so easy to change them on a daily basis as you will seldom be more than about 30 Km from the next aire.

If you initially prefer campsites with electric hook up to aires then can I suggest that your first stop is La Fontain at Montreuil sur Mer, a nice easy drive from the ports and sufficiently French to catch your breath and it is open all year.

7. carhil

carhil Funster

Ill be watching this thread with interest, we are beginners too. France later this year, maybe the new year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. laneside

laneside Funster

Ask away, it is a quick and easy way to learn

9. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

It's that bloody predictive computer thing again

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. escapecommittee

escapecommittee Funster

Hi Carhil, so far bought an aguri RV770 sat nav, an adaptor to convert to French power sockets, a Michel Thomas set of language cds (ebay), a spare bulb kit. I have not bought any headlamp deflectors but read lots of posts about them on various forums. I have travelled through France with dipped headlamps on my Ford Kuga and not had any difficulty and I dont think I will be driving the MOHO when its dark anyway. (there is lots of conflicting advicse on this subject). I have campercontact downloaded on my phone, and am taking Laneside's advice on campsite for the first night. I have never wild camped and confess to being a little nervous about the concept.....more reading to do. Thanks everybody.....anything alse I need to do?

11. laneside

laneside Funster

Hey if you do the campsite at Montreuil sur Mer, then look at the free aire in the town as an example as what is available for free. If you want to do as we did to gain your confidence in aires then head to Embry, beautiful aire a half hour away and the lady comes in the evening to collect her 6 ish euros, the toilet and shower block is five star. Take food as there are no shops in close proximity

• Like Like x 1