Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
Finally we have a motorhome, a weekend's experience and a ferry crossing from Dover to Calais in mid-September with a plan to return after two weeks. We shall be heading SW to Calvados for part of the trip. Bearing in mind that we are beginners, any tips for places to stop on the way? (apart from the motorhome we do not have bikes, scooter or towed cars but like to see historical sites and beauty spots....dont mind walking). Also any practical stuff on extra equipment needed for France. Thanks

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We often use "all the sites France" sold by vicarous books (order over the phone or online". Lots of the sites are within walking distance to towns with historical sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We usually use Campercontact on a tablet. If you buy the full version of the app it's available offline. Think it's £4.99 a year. The app is called "motorhomeparkings - campercontact".

Denise

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We often use "all the sites France" sold by vicarous books (order over the phone or online". Lots of the sites are within walking distance to towns with historical sites.
It's called All the Aires France a really useful set of books(y);)

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Much depends if you want to stay on campsites or aires, many campsites close at the end of August in France. The aires are brilliant and many are free or just a few euros, as has been said the Campercontact is well worth downloading so that you can do a bit of planning beforehand. Do not make ridgid plans as it is so easy to change them on a daily basis as you will seldom be more than about 30 Km from the next aire.

If you initially prefer campsites with electric hook up to aires then can I suggest that your first stop is La Fontain at Montreuil sur Mer, a nice easy drive from the ports and sufficiently French to catch your breath and it is open all year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

escapecommittee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
Hi Carhil, so far bought an aguri RV770 sat nav, an adaptor to convert to French power sockets, a Michel Thomas set of language cds (ebay), a spare bulb kit. I have not bought any headlamp deflectors but read lots of posts about them on various forums. I have travelled through France with dipped headlamps on my Ford Kuga and not had any difficulty and I dont think I will be driving the MOHO when its dark anyway. (there is lots of conflicting advicse on this subject). I have campercontact downloaded on my phone, and am taking Laneside's advice on campsite for the first night. I have never wild camped and confess to being a little nervous about the concept.....more reading to do. Thanks everybody.....anything alse I need to do?

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey if you do the campsite at Montreuil sur Mer, then look at the free aire in the town as an example as what is available for free. If you want to do as we did to gain your confidence in aires then head to Embry, beautiful aire a half hour away and the lady comes in the evening to collect her 6 ish euros, the toilet and shower block is five star. Take food as there are no shops in close proximity

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back