taking money abroad (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We spent three weeks in France using just the Halifax Clarity credit card. There is NO CHARGE for cash withdrawals, no 'currency conversion fee' and you get the existing interbank exchange rate at the time you use the card. We got through around £1200 over the three weeks, some in purchases and some in cash withdrawals. We were charged £2.21 in total. This was because interest on cash withdrawals is levied [at 12.9% APR] from date of withdrawal and I wasn't online to pay that back until our return to the UK. The exchange rate averaged 1.25 Euros to the £ which was several cents higher than we could have got if we'd exchanged money in the UK.

I HATE being charged to access my own money, and now feel a sense of smug satisfaction at having found what I think is the best solution currently available. I remember with dread the days of travellers cheques, when I was charged to buy them and charged to exchange them. Now that ATMs are ubiquitous across Europe and credit cards equally well accepted, surely travellers cheques will soon go the way of the tally stick?

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
My Halifax Clarity statement came yesterday and we were given 1.24 euro on all our purchases (10 - 17th October)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back