taking money abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Clive17, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Clive17

Clive17 Read Only Funster

Hi can anyone tell us the best way to take money to Spain as we are going for 3 months in December i.e travellers cheques?

thanks

Clive

2. buttons

buttons Funster

Edge your bets cards cash and T cheques if you think you will need them. I would just take a debit and credit card with some cash. You will have to look around for the best deals.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Forget travellers cheques.. you lose at both ends.. and they are a pain to cash in..

I've only ever used my bank debit card .. lifting cash only for pocket money .. everything else on the card.. never had a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

A small amount of cash and a loaded Caxton Card works well for us. We had no problems using the Caxton Card in Spain last year. We used it to pay for shopping, fuel and campsite fee's.

Brisey.

6. Viennese

Viennese Funster

We take

Caxton cards, which can be topped up, and 'no foreign fee' credit cards. Mine is a Halifax Clarity card.

Catherine

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

Forgive my ignorance..

but what 's the benefit of a Caxton card over a Bank Debit Card ?

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Credit / debit cards, a small amount of local currency and a Caxton preload card .... the only problem I find is that the Caxton is not accepted at most French auto tolls or at unattended fuel stations where you put your card into the pump.

9. keith

keith Funster

Isn't it the fact that Caxton card don't charge you for using ATM's, whereas bank debit cards do have some charge, either by a fee or an exchange rate penalty?

Gone are the heady days of Nationwide fee free cards at international exchange rates. :cry:

Unless you live "up North" and can get a Cumberland B S bank card, they don't charge us or massage the exchange rate. :thumb:

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Another vote for Caxton from us. :thumb:

Simple, straightforward and no charges.

Wyn

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thing is with Caxton and similar they might not make a charge but they offer lower exchange rates than most high street banks in my experience.

The benefits are therefore marginal I suspect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

The Norwich and Peterborough B.Soc. ( part of Yorkshire B.Soc.) offer a charge free DD card, which uses the latest Bank Exchange rate, if you pay in at least £500pm or keep a min. balance of £3k.

They have a full Internet Banking.

Pete:Cool:

13. scotjimland

Honestly I can't recall Keith .. but while travelling in France and Spain for more than two years I only used the Coop Bank Debit card and lifted Euros for pocket money ..

I like to keep things simple.. I'm sure Caxton don't do it for nothing

14. buttons

buttons Funster

I was going to ask who pays for the service, you have probably answered that.

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

A little cash and a Post Office credit card is the way we go.. No charges for transactions outside the UK

16. keith

keith Funster

Never been very impressed with the P O, their exchange rates over the counter are very poor, so are they any better if you have a card from them?

Caxton today are exchanging at €1.2160 to the £, so that's how they get their money as at present it is €1.2448

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That's the point I was making. Whats that about 2% less?

As i said earlier Caxton v debit card is pretty marginal.

18. Jill

Jill Funster

Three weeks ago (after visiting Money Saving Expert to check out best rates) I ordered £250 in Euros from HSBC online. I think they gave me 1.22 to the pound which was the best on offer at the time (for such a small amount). I also took a Halifax Clarity and that was all.

I did get a Caxton card back in February for my skiing trip but tbh I get easily confused with too many choices. I did bring it with me (unloaded) in case I needed it in an emergency as the beauty of it is you can top up anytime with your mobile. :Smile:

I was under the impression that normal debit cards charged you a fee from withdrawing cash abroad and a conversion fee when used in payment.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. scotjimland

prompted me to check what the Coop charge

Q:
    What's the charge for withdrawing cash from abroad?

A:
    We currently charge a 2.75% conversion fee, plus 2.5% or £3.00. From 1st July we will charge a 2.75% conversion fee, plus 3% or £3.00 whichever is the minimum cash advance fee.

Q: Do I get charged for using my card abroad?

A:
    For using your card to buy things in shops while you're overseas, there's a 2.75% commission charge on every purchase. This is for converting the foreign amount into pounds, and it'll be included in the total transaction when it shows on your statement.

When you use your card to buy currency or travellers cheques, or to draw money from a cash machine abroad, you'll also be charged 2% of the amount withdrawn (minimum 2 pounds) for each transaction you make. These charges will show separately on your statement as 'Visa charge'.

20. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I used to carry cash in sterling since the Nationwide stopped doing free withdrawals at ATMs. But for sometime now have used the Nationwide credit card for purchases such as fuel and provisions as they give a good rate and no charges as long as you pay the bill in full at months end, which I have set up by DD. I also have a pre loaded Caxton card for Europe which I load through the year when the exchange rate is good and a Caxton Worldwide pre load card for when am outside of Europe. I only use the Caxton for drawing cash abroad from ATMs, this way I don't have to pay for the privilege of spending my own money.