Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
When we had taken the deposit last time and agreed a price with the extras we reloaded the RV.

We now find we have to unload it again.. oh joy:Sad:

I have my son in law coming over tomorrow night to lend a hand ... he useful for something other than making a baby::bigsmile:... I digress.. back to unloading the RV.

Since I reduced the price to £19,999 I have had a fair few enquiries. Most and 'time waster' ... one as far away from me as you can get in the UK, wanting to know how many mpg it does.. that sort of thing. You name it, despite a lot of info in my adverts they still find something to ask..... no problems, not busy at the moment so I send the info.

But as there is only 7 days on the ebay advert to run and a few more on the others we decided that if it does not go at this give away price we are just not going to advertise it until next season. So we are back to taking it all off again.. not as bad as the 9 hours first time around as most of the kit we had agreed on is in boxes or in the lockers... so with luck a couple of hours work only... removed the Reece tow ball bar this morning as they are the extras (have 3 of them different). But it is a real pain doing it. Only put it all back on as we took a deposit.

Had a lot more interest as soon as the sub £20k was reached. But has not stopped lots of idiots offering silly money... I do wonder why they do it.

Bob:Blush:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
having been involved in the buying and selling of motors for almost 40 years i can only sympathise with your frustration ! from my own experience i can tell you that advertising at a low price will not keep the tyre kickers or the "whats the least you will take for it " brigade away !! i have found the key to completing a deal is being flexible and willing to compromise. if you pitch YOUR price at a figure that you cannot negotiate from you will have painted youself into a corner (so to speak,) always leave room to "close the deal " in the past for me, this has been a full tank of fuel (not ideal in your case! ), 6 months road tax etc .the danger with just knocking money off the asking price at the begining is that the buyer will still expect a sweetner later on in the negotiations and you will be left with no cards to play !!! i can see from your previous posts that your van is packed with extras, again, from my time in the motor trade, buyers will NOT want to pay you any extra for them. leave the ones on that make your van more desirable than the nearest competitor (by nearest i mean price as much as location )and be prepared to throw in some of the others as a deal closer if need be ! in my opinion your van will have to be priced very close to the price of a basic van without any extras. buyers will then perceive yours to be better value because of the extras you have left on !!! otherwise they will think they are having to pay a premium for YOUR choice of goodies that you are asuming they would want or need ! please do not take anything i have said as any form of critisism to anything you have done so far ,they are just observations from being in the motor trade and dealing with" punters" for the past four decades . best regards garry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I sure hope the eventual buyer doesn't want it all loaded back on again::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
having been involved in the buying and selling of motors for almost 40 years i can only sympathise with your frustration ! from my own experience i can tell you that advertising at a low price will not keep the tyre kickers or the "whats the least you will take for it " brigade away !! i have found the key to completing a deal is being flexible and willing to compromise. if you pitch YOUR price at a figure that you cannot negotiate from you will have painted youself into a corner (so to speak,) always leave room to "close the deal " in the past for me, this has been a full tank of fuel (not ideal in your case! ), 6 months road tax etc .the danger with just knocking money off the asking price at the begining is that the buyer will still expect a sweetner later on in the negotiations and you will be left with no cards to play !!! i can see from your previous posts that your van is packed with extras, again, from my time in the motor trade, buyers will NOT want to pay you any extra for them. leave the ones on that make your van more desirable than the nearest competitor (by nearest i mean price as much as location )and be prepared to throw in some of the others as a deal closer if need be ! in my opinion your van will have to be priced very close to the price of a basic van without any extras. buyers will then perceive yours to be better value because of the extras you have left on !!! otherwise they will think they are having to pay a premium for YOUR choice of goodies that you are asuming they would want or need ! please do not take anything i have said as any form of critisism to anything you have done so far ,they are just observations from being in the motor trade and dealing with" punters" for the past four decades . best regards garry

Interesting post Gary. As a novice, I think there's good advice for Buyers and Sellers in your response. As a potential buyer of a MH, I will bear that in mind when negotiating the final price.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I can not believe that you are only asking 19999 now. That van at that price is a steal, It just goes to show how difficult the market is for RV's at the moment. Your's is not even a big one.

Good luck with it Bob, I know you have your heart set on something else but I would rather keep hold of it than give it away.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not hard to sell RVs at all, plenty moving on other forums, there has been for some time now a definite hint of desperation on this sale, either by virtue of there is desperation, or the perceived desperation cause by constant re writes of adds, and up and down yo yo prices and endless posts on extras that are going in or coming out, that are to be included or not depending on what mood the seller is in, coupled to the fact it appears to have had one guy walk away leaving a £500 deposit behind, begs the question why, people researching and contemplating do their homework usually and this RV is certain;y well known now by most potential buyers
I sincerely believe that if it had been advertised in
the conventional way, and left alone, it would be long gone,
It is indeed a bargain RV but only to those who know the van

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I can not believe that you are only asking 19999 now. That van at that price is a steal, It just goes to show how difficult the market is for RV's at the moment. Your's is not even a big one.

Good luck with it Bob, I know you have your heart set on something else but I would rather keep hold of it than give it away.

No it is not but it sill has a big thirsty engine :Sad:I too am surprised it has not sold yet ,but then again if Bob had done his homework and priced it right, not what he thought was right :winky: or better still stuck it on ebay with the least he will take as the starting bid then things may be different
terry

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i agree with GEO 100 percent , your motor has now got what is termed in the trade as "having a story with it " and this is the KISS OF DEATH where selling is concerned . this is probably the biggest factor now in it not attracting genuine buyers ! not the price, nor the amount of extras on or off it ! i would summise that a large portion of potential buyers (either on or by connection with this site) have been alienated by the ongoing sorry tale and your obvious anger and frustration! i bet there are some people on mhf that even if they wanted to come and look at your van would now not do so, for fear of the verbal retribution that may ensue if they did not buy it !! it might be time to close up the hatches and stay under the radar for a while (if you get my drift!! ) once again no critisism intended just an observation from a outsider (with insider knowledge ) looking on !!! good luck garry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Got to agree with the above two post's, it would,probably be better to just take it off sale, and store it until next season to allow the "waters" to clear up a bit, and punters to forget the recent pantomime with it.

As a recent punter, who was prepared to buy a large RV, can I just bring up the obvious again...and this IS from a punters point of view.
I nearly bought a large RV, the reason I was attracted to it apart from the obvious, was that it had a Cummins diesel engine.
There engines are known the world over, parts are easy to get, and they do stellar mileage in buses etc...so i would,nt have minded a little less to the gallon, because of the reliability.

I would LOVE, to sell my euro, and buy Bobs, BUT, I dont know what "extras" he is dealing with, however.........I do not have, nor want, a genny, solar power, safari rooms, or....mostly, anything else really, and if I did, me and the missus would not want to be robbed of the chance to research/haggle and buy stufff we felt we needed,...all part of the fun.
What I WOULD want, is to be able to do what we did this year, a week touring Devon, several weekends away, and a trip to Portugal and some time in France. With the best will in the world, and with the utmost respect to Bob, I couldnt do that with his motor without a gas conversion.
On his engine, a conversion (certified) would,nt cost me a lot less that £3000, I believe it would have to be a split system.
As fuel prices go higher, some MH owners are giving it up ( ive heard of at least one, maybe two on here), something is only worth, what someone will pay for it, there will be a buyer for Bobs, but I suspect Autotrader rather than ebay will produce the man with the money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back