Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Hi everyone.

Just a quick question which I hope doesn't sound too stupid :Smile:

When crossing the channel either by tunnel or ferry. Are there anythings you can't put in your fridge or food cupboards when entering France?

I think I read or heard somewhere that Bacon wasn't allowed.
Or is someone telling me a Porkie ? :ROFLMAO:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Why would anyone take food to France?

Pop to the nearest hypermarche and there is everything you could ever want.
Live squid, maggoty cheese, half a horse's head in the freezer - love it!

Forget the Typhoo and Marmite - eat like a native! :thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have traveled across the water a number of times over the last few years, and have never seen or heard of any restrictions other than beef during the foot and mouth problems and bringing back poultry products when the bird flu scare was on. I have been stopped and searched when crossing some borders but no one has ever asked me what I had in the fridge.
Pete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There are some things I take back from the UK because either you can't source them over the water or if you can they are expensive.

Proper Lincolnshire sausages.
Strong Chedder cheese.
Fray Bentos tinned pies. ( just love 'em )
sausage and beans.
and of course John Smith's Extra smooth.
etc. etc. etc.

Pete.

PS You can get some of these at Calais. But beyond there, they are not readily available. I'm sure everyone has their favourite foods.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
not to panic anyone but if you get caught by customs taking sausages and cheese, plants and other fresh food items, expect them to be confiscated.

We have seen whole vehicles being emptied of food contents

Depends whether or not you get stopped and whether or not they search the fridge

Its all to do with bugs and transfer of bacteria

The customs and excise have a website and so do defra on what is and is not permitted for transportation abroad

hope this helps

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We've been back and forth across the water since 1968 and never been checked for what's in the car / van foodwise! TOUCH WOOD!!!:winky:

Only was ever checked crossing from Andorra into France in 2000 and even then they missed most of the cupboards!!:ROFLMAO:

Always take sausages and bacon and bring back cheese - if they confiscate - so be it!:ROFLMAO:

Marie
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have not had any problems when travelling in either direction::bigsmile:. In reality there is no need to worry about getting the food you want on the continent as there are plenty of options. Smaller supermarkets will often have an "English foods" section - this certainly applies to the three near us - and the bigger ones like Carrefour stock bacon, sausages etc.

But why not try all of the local goodies? Buy small quantities, if you like them buy more, but it will make your holiday much more of a change from your normal life!:thumb::thumb:

Whatever, enjoy your travels.

Bob and Di

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We contacted Sea France and this was there reply>

Thank you for your e-mail.

I would like to confirm that the foot and mouth restrictions were lifted some time ago that was confirmed by DEFRA at the Port of Dover. As far as France in concerned, they are allowing meat and dairy products in the country. For your information, Holland may still restrict the import of meat and dairy products.

With kind regards

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
When crossing the channel either by tunnel or ferry. Are there anythings you can't put in your fridge or food cupboards when entering France?

:Cool: Wacky baccy. :ROFLMAO:

We have never been stopped and asked WHAT food we had on board. However. The last few times coming back we have been checked for illegal immigrants. :RollEyes:

Must be the sun tan. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Marrwyck

Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Hi everyone, thxs for all your replies.

Just as I thought, take an empty fridge & enjoy everyone elses delights ::bigsmile:

As for my cuppa, taking no chances there, packed plenty of tea ::bigsmile:

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
Came back last Sunday via the Tunnel, in the terminal building (Calais) they sold cheese etc................. so begs the question, if it is a banned item where are you supposed to be taking it? you can't turn around.

As an aside, we took a load of frozen pork, beef, chicken etc out with us to offset the silly Euro price and speaking to others over there, we were not alone either.

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Taking food abroad

I always take bacon (frozen) to France as I have always found it hard to get, except the strange wafer thin stuff that vanishes if you cook it. No problem in Spain or Holland.

I like to have the local food, and especially the local siesta:RollEyes:but I can't get used to the idea of nothing but a cup of coffee and a bun for breakfast.:Eeek: You can get black pudding in France, also interesting sausage!

It's not breakfast without pig in it,:Angry:

Always take the tea, we need approx 240 bags per month (addicted or what), you can buy it most places but not at Tesco price.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi you can take what you like, we always take my farvorite coffee Janes tea bags marmalade and my JOHN SMITHS thats the most important of all. I dont get on very well with that larger so it Vodka or Red Wine, everything else you can get there. We have just come back from Denmark if I had Known that Bread was £3 a loaf I would have took the bread maker! Good Luck Bob.:ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Some years ago we lived in Kent close to the channel tunnel & did regular shopping trips to France throu the 'tube'. ::bigsmile:
A day trip was very reasonable then & we could save more than the fare by shopping over there. :thumb:
We always take Bacon & Tea when going over now, don't like the stuff that the Europeans called bacon. :Eeek:
Someone said plants are banned, but if they have a passport they can be move between Euro countries legally. It's a small label attached to the plant to confirm it can be exported/imported. We brought a Lime tree back from Spain & were searched at Dover but nothing was said about it. :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Some years ago we lived in Kent close to the channel tunnel & did regular shopping trips to France throu the 'tube'. ::bigsmile:
A day trip was very reasonable then & we could save more than the fare by shopping over there. :thumb:
We always take Bacon & Tea when going over now, don't like the stuff that the Europeans called bacon. :Eeek:
Someone said plants are banned, but if they have a passport they can be move between Euro countries legally. It's a small label attached to the plant to confirm it can be exported/imported. We brought a Lime tree back from Spain & were searched at Dover but nothing was said about it. :thumb:

Hi Keith that intresting about the PLANTS we have just come back from Holland and our van was full of plants, we were not seached so everything was OK, but never even thought about it. We have never done it before its normally full of booze LOL, I will make sure she does not get her own way again, and stick to what we know. Many Thanks Bob.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back