Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Guys .

Anyone taken their pets abroad at all? Can you advise us what's best to do?
We have two small dogs and both are microchipped and extremely well looked after by our vet here at home.
Gladly appreciate whatever info you can give us please.

Kind regards Carolyn ( and Kev of course!)

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Trev.

We are looking at following our late Fathers trip to portugal. He and mom spent the 3 months away around january every year until they couldn't due to ill health.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's very easy. Pet passport from your vet's, a worming tablet/jab from a vet from the country you are in, 24 to72 hrs before embarking on your ferry or train back home, job done. Been taking Nellie across the water for the last 3 years without issue (touch wood ).

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It's very easy. Pet passport from your vet's, a worming tablet/jab from a vet from the country you are in, 24 to72 hrs before embarking on your ferry or train back home, job done. Been taking Nellie across the water for the last 3 years without issue (touch wood ).
For some reason , we thought it to be a little more difficult?
Sounds a lot more simpler?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Calling at the Vet may look daunting at first but in fact is very simple once you have been through the procedure as many others who take pets abroad will testify.

Most French Vets speak at least a smattering of English and many speak better English than you and me.

Whatever the length of time, one day or one year, you are abroad you will need the Passport signing and dating by a Vet before being allowed back to the UK.

You already have a Pet Passport and I presume the dogs medical requirements and Rabies treatment are up to date.

On your return to the UK you must visit a European Vet within a time scale of 24 hours and 120 hours (1 – 5 days) of your Train or Ferry ARRIVAL time in the UK..

The Vet will give a tablet for the 'Echinococcus Treatment' (Tapeworm) (pages 14-21 of the Pet Passport) and must stamp, sign and date correctly the relevant page.

You may be able to use your own tablet, make sure it is the correct dose for the size/weight of dog, but the Vet can insist on providing the tablet and refuse to use the one you provide.

The Vet should, but it is not obligatory, also examine the dog to ensure it is fit to travel and sign and date 'Clinical Examination' (page 28).

I think it's worth having the 'Clinical Examination' page signed just for peace of mind.

The five day window for having the Passport procedure means you can be almost anywhere in Europe and still get back to the Ports within the 120 hours allowed.

The further you are from the Tunnel/Ferries when you see the Vet it's usually cheaper – but not always!

At the Pet Passport Office you will need to have the Pet Passport, travel booking form and to know your vehicle registration number.

Also you should know the position of the Microchip on your animal (see page 3 of the Pet Passport) as you have to scan the animal to show the Microchip number corresponds to the one in the Pet Passport.

PLEASE NOTE - You MUST check that the Passport has been correctly signed and dated by the Vet for the Tapeworm treatment as it the responsibility of you, and only you, if it is not correct when presented at the Passport Office.

Any Pet Passport that appears to have been altered in any shape or form will almost certainly be rejected.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It really is that easy,as I said we have only been doing it for 3 years but there are lots of funsters on here that have more experience. I'm sure some will be along soon to tell you likewise.One thing I would advise is to make sure you get your pets insured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
We took our dog to France for the first time this year. Pet passport sorted by our local vet. We use the tunnel so she stays with us in the MH. Easily found a vet in France in a town to administer the worming tablets and sign the passport prior to our return home.
No problems encountered but if you need reassurance on any particular question don't hesitate to ask
Chris

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Been taking ours for years dead easy a lot better than leaving him at home or even worse prison (kennels). Only thing to be aware of is some countries (Portugal this year) seem to have quite a few sray dogs roaming arould.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just to clarify..Both dogs are fully insured and up to date with everything required here at home. Just was not sure if there was something else we had missed ? Looks like it is all in hand . Thanks for the speedy replies folks . Really appreciate the help.

Carolyn

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Make sure your own vet has filled in the details correctly, ours didn't fill in the name and address of the clinic and it cost us 20 euros and a lot of aggro to put right.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
PLEASE NOTE - You MUST check that the Passport has been correctly signed and dated by the Vet for the Tapeworm treatment as it the responsibility of you, and only you, if it is not correct when presented at the Passport Office.

Any Pet Passport that appears to have been altered in any shape or form will almost certainly be rejected.

Can vouch for this. Had my dog checked and wormed in Montendre and arrived at Caen check in to find it hadn't been signed. She gave us the name and number of a vets in the town, he fit us straight in and signed it, and we managed to catch our original ferry!

:france: :france: :france: :france:[/QUOTE]

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Kev & Carolyn,
We took our dog twice this year,very easy, get your vet to fill the passport out etc ,cost us about £100 for our cocker , but lasts for 3 years,
We used the tunnel, no problem leaving Folkestone,
or Calais on the way back.

gps for pet passport office Calais -- N50.93744 E1.81265

We used a vet at Forges Les Eaux , 113 miles from Calais
Dr Patrick Pattyn
Cabinet Vétérinaire Saint Nicolas
1 Rue Neufchatel
76,440 Forges-les-Eaux
Seine-Maritime, France
gps n49.613243, 1.544545
He speak perfect english & very helpful & good with dogs.

Hope this helps

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Carolyn have you got their pet passport ? And have they had their rabies done recently and had the blood test ? You must have the rabies jab every year coming back before the year expires.

When you go outward you will have paid for the dogs with your booking and be given a sticker for your windscreen until you pass through control, as already been said before you come back you visit a Vet to have the wormer administered and your pet passport stamped, not less than 24 hrs and not more than 5 days before departure, at the port or tunnel in our case we go into the pet control were they scan the dogs microchip compare with their passport and examine the passport to make sure the Vet has filled it in properly.

I can recommend a Vet at Marquise just off the 16 that is very reasonable, the ones in Calais are more expensive, but others will be able to recommend Vets further away if you prefer.

It isn't complicated as the Vets all know the procedures now and most of them do speak English

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Makes you wonder if its all really necessary I don't know of any scare stories about rabies for years in France and life seems to go on just as normal!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I have just read Fidgets post and see their Vet does it for three years! That is good but our Vet wanted it done every year ! I do know Minxy girl used to have hers done two years, we haven't bothered last year as our oldest now has health problems, your dogs will love being with you enjoy while you can.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Calling at the Vet may look daunting at first but in fact is very simple once you have been through the procedure as many others who take pets abroad will testify.

Most French Vets speak at least a smattering of English and many speak better English than you and me.

Whatever the length of time, one day or one year, you are abroad you will need the Passport signing and dating by a Vet before being allowed back to the UK.

You already have a Pet Passport and I presume the dogs medical requirements and Rabies treatment are up to date.

On your return to the UK you must visit a European Vet within a time scale of 24 hours and 120 hours (1 – 5 days) of your Train or Ferry ARRIVAL time in the UK..

The Vet will give a tablet for the 'Echinococcus Treatment' (Tapeworm) (pages 14-21 of the Pet Passport) and must stamp, sign and date correctly the relevant page.

You may be able to use your own tablet, make sure it is the correct dose for the size/weight of dog, but the Vet can insist on providing the tablet and refuse to use the one you provide.

The Vet should, but it is not obligatory, also examine the dog to ensure it is fit to travel and sign and date 'Clinical Examination' (page 28).

I think it's worth having the 'Clinical Examination' page signed just for peace of mind.

The five day window for having the Passport procedure means you can be almost anywhere in Europe and still get back to the Ports within the 120 hours allowed.

The further you are from the Tunnel/Ferries when you see the Vet it's usually cheaper – but not always!

At the Pet Passport Office you will need to have the Pet Passport, travel booking form and to know your vehicle registration number.

Also you should know the position of the Microchip on your animal (see page 3 of the Pet Passport) as you have to scan the animal to show the Microchip number corresponds to the one in the Pet Passport.

Yes it is simple as long as you stick exactly to the rules. Both our dogs came with us from Portugal and the only problem was when a vet in the UK who was not used to the system entered a date improperly, just month and year, it cost us 60 euros to get the day added by a vet. We get most of our vet stuff done in Portugal, the vets know the routine and are just as thorough and a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I must admit..the vet we use always makes it a part of his /her business to vaccinate every year with the booster against rabies? We have always just accepted it in case we were able to travel.
Basically they are both up to date.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Agree with all previous comments, it's a doddle.
Would add that there is an excellent site called European Vets for Pets, I think started by a Funster, which shows a huge number of vets abroad who are aware of what the UK traveller needs to get their pet back home. So depending on which port you are using, you will always be able to find a vet.
Plus, if you're going to Portugal, my vet (my dog's vet I should say) and also the French vet we saw on our way back just last week recommended a good tick collar because of the increasing prevalence of Leishmaniisis (a tick borne disease) the further south you go. Get it from a vet, apparently the ones you get off the shelf aren't good enough. (I suppose they would say that though!)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Candapack - any info, especially up-to-date prices, about the Vet/s you've used would be appreciated and added to the Google Map

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
No blood test required now. Just have to let 21 days elapse after the first rabies jab. Our Vet uses the 3 year vaccine and no booster required. So as long as you renew prior to expiry then cover is continuous.
I use the ferry so he stays in vehicle, P & O pass me scanner at check in and issue travel permit. It is their responsibility to check all is in order.
Some breeds in France are classified as dangerous, luckily pure Staffies are not!
I usually use vet in Calais, cost is €30 as dog is 30kg, vet at Mailleraye charges FROM €15 if own tablet used. We still paid €30 as he needed 2 tablets at €7.50 each.
I use the Scalibor collar to protect against, mosquitoes, ticks and sand flies.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit..the vet we use always makes it a part of his /her business to vaccinate every year with the booster against rabies? We have always just accepted it in case we were able to travel.
Basically they are both up to date.
Are you sure the yearly booster that your dog is getting isn't just the standard one for parvo etc? It would be very unusual for the rabies one to be administered just 'for the sake of it' - it's a totally separate injection and can be for 1, 2 or 3 years duration - we always insist on a 3 year one from our vet as, quite apart from anything else it saves having to pay for it more frequently, however it also means we don't have to remember to do it so often! AFAIK it's the same stuff at the same 'strength' and the only difference is the expiry date on the box! :cautious:

You've already got the micro-chipping done so that's the first bit done.(y)

The pet passport document itself and rabies jab can be done by any vet so ring around and get the prices from other vets as it can differ enormously, from £20 to £100 just for the passport plus the jab ... it seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing at the time!

Assuming you DO need the rabies jab (as per my earlier query) it has to be administered 3 weeks before you intend to return to the UK, ie in reality you could have it done the day you go out of the UK so long as you don't want to come back within that 3 week period but better not to leave it until then just in case your dog has a reaction (none of ours ever have though). The injection & consultation should cost no more than £40 and around £60-£80 I believe with the passport document.

The return procedure is as already mentioned by others - ie go to a vet before your return to the UK, this should be between 120 and 24 hours of your return date/time so that they worming treatment can be administered and the passport signed, dated and the time of the treatment put on! This is very important - if they miss off the time it will not be valid! We always check ours when we get out of the vet's clinic to ensure all sections are correctly completed and match, much easier to rectify whilst you're still there than when you're at the pet-check in!!! Costs vary but some expensive vets charge over €100 for 2 dogs (ouch!:eek:), others can be as little as €10!!!!(y) You normally don't need to make an appointment well in advance, we tend to look for a vet as we're travelling back up and then pop in to see if we can make an appointment for an hour or two later - never had a problem yet and most of the time they just slot us in between existing appointments. If you find a good vet who doesn't charge the earth and know you'll go that way again it's worth keeping the details so you can pre-arrange your visit for the next time, so long as you know when you'll be there ... we rarely do! :rolleyes:

We've been taking our dogs away since 2005 and the system now is much easier than it used to be thank goodness - we used to have to be careful with booking return crossings ... once we did it under the old system with just the 48-24 hour time period for the 'vet check' and the only time we could get see a vet was on a Saturday afternoon as we were travelling back on a ruddy bank holiday Monday lunchtime! :rolleyes:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Candapack - any info, especially up-to-date prices, about the Vet/s you've used would be appreciated and added to the Google Map
Yes, I will. It's very easy to just use these great resources without contributing. If it was you who set it up, well done.
Although we have only had a dog for our last 3 trips abroad, we always use the Tunnel, we really like Le Crotoy, and so have only ever used the vet in Rue - who we also like but is I think a wee bit more expensive than some. 34 Euros including the worming tablet. (I'm too much of a wuss to tell him we've brought our own.:oops:)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
OK, so I've tried to update the map, I'm signed in to Google, but can't find how to do it.
Any advice?

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Are you sure the yearly booster that your dog is getting isn't just the standard one for parvo etc? It would be very unusual for the rabies one to be administered just 'for the sake of it' - it's a totally separate injection and can be for 1, 2 or 3 years duration - we always insist on a 3 year one from our vet as, quite apart from anything else it saves having to pay for it more frequently, however it also means we don't have to remember to do it so often! AFAIK it's the same stuff at the same 'strength' and the only difference is the expiry date on the box! :cautious:

You've already got the micro-chipping done so that's the first bit done.(y)

The pet passport document itself and rabies jab can be done by any vet so ring around and get the prices from other vets as it can differ enormously, from £20 to £100 just for the passport plus the jab ... it seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing at the time!

Assuming you DO need the rabies jab (as per my earlier query) it has to be administered 3 weeks before you intend to return to the UK, ie in reality you could have it done the day you go out of the UK so long as you don't want to come back within that 3 week period but better not to leave it until then just in case your dog has a reaction (none of ours ever have though). The injection & consultation should cost no more than £40 and around £60-£80 I believe with the passport document.

The return procedure is as already mentioned by others - ie go to a vet before your return to the UK, this should be between 120 and 24 hours of your return date/time so that they worming treatment can be administered and the passport signed, dated and the time of the treatment put on! This is very important - if they miss off the time it will not be valid! We always check ours when we get out of the vet's clinic to ensure all sections are correctly completed and match, much easier to rectify whilst you're still there than when you're at the pet-check in!!! Costs vary but some expensive vets charge over €100 for 2 dogs (ouch!:eek:), others can be as little as €10!!!!(y) You normally don't need to make an appointment well in advance, we tend to look for a vet as we're travelling back up and then pop in to see if we can make an appointment for an hour or two later - never had a problem yet and most of the time they just slot us in between existing appointments. If you find a good vet who doesn't charge the earth and know you'll go that way again it's worth keeping the details so you can pre-arrange your visit for the next time, so long as you know when you'll be there ... we rarely do! :rolleyes:

We've been taking our dogs away since 2005 and the system now is much easier than it used to be thank goodness - we used to have to be careful with booking return crossings ... once we did it under the old system with just the 48-24 hour time period for the 'vet check' and the only time we could get see a vet was on a Saturday afternoon as we were travelling back on a ruddy bank holiday Monday lunchtime! :rolleyes:

You are quite correct about the interval for Rabies. It is 3 years . I have checked my paperwork for both dogs and they are due a Rabies injection May 2017. I Have assumed that when they were called in for their Booster etc, that it included the Rabies shot? My fault for not being clear.
It is looking quite positive though with all the information we are getting back from you guys though. Thank you very much for your help and advice
Carolyn

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Candapack - sorry but you can't update the Map.

I'm the only one who can add details and would appreciate it if you could post any helpful info on this thread.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back