Taking Dog to Norway

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TerryL, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Just returned from taking Jamie for his first trip to Europe, we are now planning his(our) next big trip, to Scandinavia, specifically Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

The official sites for Denmark and Sweden indicate no special requirements but that for Norway seems to indicate a similar procedure to entering UK, i.e. tapeworm treatment by a vet but it is not clear on when this should be done.

So could anybody who has taken their dog to Norway kindly advise me of what they did in respect of their dog, including where they entered from because that seems to make a difference too!

Ta muchly (and bark bark from Jamie)

2. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

I went in 2013 and the requirements then were tapeworm jab between 1 and 5 days before entering country - same as UK. Additionally there was a requirement for a further treatment within 7 days of entering the country. We entered from Hertsals in Denmark and found a vet just on the outskirts of Kristiansand. Although I can't find it at the moment I believe the after entry treatment is no longer required. I'll try and find the reference. The border control were very thorough in checking the dogs passport.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Okay, that's great and clearer than the official site. Thanks very much.

So that's one more thing to add to the checklist!

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

6. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We are considering this trip with our dog and just checking that this info is correct. No special treatment needed?
    Clip from the link:
    All dogs that are to be imported to Norway must be treated for fox dwarf tapeworm (Echinococcus). (Except from UK, Irland, Malta, and Finland) This tapeworm is not dangerous for the dogs themselves, but it can cause serious illness in humans. The owners of the dogs may not treat the animals themselves.
    Does anyone know about holland and Germany?

7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

As far as I can tell from reading the relevant regulations for each country, there are no entry restrictions for dogs except UK & Norway, which are the same. As you cannot enter Norway direct from UK (except by flying), you are therefore subject to these restrictions and need to get your dog wormed between 24 and 120 hours prior to arrival by a vet.