Taking Dog To Eire

Discussion in 'Pets' started by scotzsue, May 12, 2015.

1. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Our friends are taking their dog to southern Ireland later this year, do they need to see a vet prior to return to UK?

2. SandT

SandT Funster

Yes.

Terry

3. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jaime

Jaime

I just followed that link: Ireland, Finland, Norway and Malta are all considered to be free of tapeworm and no treatment needed prior to return to the UK. Well I never.

It seems Veterinary visit is not obligatory but to be honest I'd check the microchip was still active before returning to the UK as once they are at the "border" trying to get back into UK it will be too late if anything has happened and the microchip has stopped scanning. I always get a Vet to sign the "fit to travel" section in the dog's passport, even though strictly speaking that is not required for some countries. I'm just really over-cautious.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

We come over every year with our four and there is absolutely no need to see a vet before going back...

It's just like travelling to NI...

6. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Thank you so much for that.

Sue

7. Polly Put The Kettle On

Polly Put The Kettle On Read Only Funster

Hia

This as been a very grey area
    People saying yes and people saying no

My dog Izzy is booked in for her rabies jab on Monday as I am going beginning of Sept.

8. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

when i made enquiries for our friends I also got mixed responses, official line was that as Eire is EU not UK passport is required. Fortunately they took theirs, as although they weren't asked for ID or passports on return, they had to provide the passport for their dog! It's not much of an overhead if you already have one, have spoken to a few people who did not need to produce the pet passport though.

9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Why would your friends need to see a vet?:eek:
    If anything, and it's not required, surely it would be the dog that would need to see the vet.:giggler:

10. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Since the end of December 2014 all dogs travelling to/from Ireland must have pet passports - this is to try and stop puppy farming as unfortunately Ireland is one of the places where puppy farming takes place in a wholesale way. You don't need to visit a vet on the way back but if you are stopped you need to be able to produce the pet passport for your dog.

On saying that we have never been stopped/pet passports checked on the way to/from Ireland. Another bonus is that the ferry companies do not charge extra for dogs unlike the channel ferry/Eurotunnel who charge £17 per dog per crossing! We paid for our tunnel with tesco points but had to pay £68 for the Wyaye pack!
    Kath

11. Polly Put The Kettle On

Polly Put The Kettle On Read Only Funster

Hia

Izzy as had her rabies and my vet said she doesn't need to see a vet coming back