Taking a trip to Portugal in Jan to find some warmer weather

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Helga, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

Hi there
    I wonder if anyone could advise us. We are planning on taking a trip down to Portugal around the 3rd Jan in chase of some warmer weather. We plan to be away for about 6 weeks. Could anyone advise us as to the best route to take or anywhere in particular we should head for?
    Thank you
    Deborah and Colin
    AKA Helga

2. Mel

Mel Funster

Go South:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

You get all the best answers on FUN. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

First make your mind up about the ferry. Do you want to slog all the way from Calais or go direct to Santander.

5. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

Well we quite fancied going on the ferry but then someone told us the sea was likely to be very rough so we decided it might be better to drive all the way there and probably cheaper.
    Thank you for your help
    Deborah x

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Debora
    We are booked on the Portsmouth/ Bilboa Ferry on the 5th Jan heading down South to Albuferia on the C & CC rally not been before so I cant help much help but we are looking forward to it, the only problem driving down through France is the weather can be very bad snow etc, we have had friends stuck, also some stuck at Portsmouth due to Ferries cancelled due to bad weather so it's six of one or six of another which route is best, but we prefer the Ferry. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Ps enjoy your trip

7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Fly down and get some sucker to drive the van there for you :Smile:

8. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

I'll drive down, if I can fly back !

9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    It rains a lot up in the northern third of Portugal,a mate who lives about 15 mins. north of Faro,will not come and visit us,as his wife says....... "It's TO COLD :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:".
    The part where we are is very nice,but at this time of the year,rain is to be expected,saying that,the last couple of weeks have been big blue skied,but this week,there have been quite heavy frosts in the morning, warming up 10 o'clock onwards.
    So,go south,must go,of outside to sunbathe:thumb:
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  10. trophychap

trophychap Funster

See you there then Peter we are travelling on the 12 Dec and driving down from Dunkerque should be there by The 20th Dec.

We will have the kettle on for you.............

Route is roughly Rouen to Bordeaux, then Hendaye, Pamplona, Burgos, Salamanca, Badajoz, Evora, Albufeira.

Never been before so only time will tell if its a good route or not.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

JJ is your man on here for Portugal...Drop him a PM and ask away..:Smile:

PS He is a Man City fan too:thumb:

12. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

Cheers

Thank you all for your replies.
    Starting to get excited now
    Deborah x
    :Smile::Smile:

13. Quintapedro

Quintapedro Campsite Owner Portugal

if you Pass Albufeira

hello Helga

I´m Pedro(Big Pedro) as most of funsters call me, me and my wife Mireille run a special site, very smal but full of nice activeteis.

So if wen you come to Portugal and pass here in Albufeira, please come to visit us, it will be a pleasur to know you and have a drink with you...

http://motorhomefriends.com

even if you don´t stay us, please pass here, we always have some funsters here, it's always nice to meet new friends.

Pedro & Mireille

• Like Like x 4
  14. jackierals

jackierals Read Only Funster

Deborah,

Just FYI, we left Estopona Spain (really not that far from Portugal) just over a week ago. We were £93 on Le Shuttle and £417 or EURO495 on diesel. We wanted to get back as quickly as possible so used toll roads nearly all the way. We have a tag for France and haven't had the bill yet but we paid EURO32 for Spanish tolls. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip. :Smile:

15. Fermenter

Fermenter Read Only Funster

Hi Pedro

What sort of temperatures do you get there in January and February?

16. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We're off on the 4th Jan, euro-tunnel, by passing Rouen, there are bridge repairs, although they might be finish by then, on to friends at Hardanges for a couple of days, then to San Sebastian (Aire) then down to an aire near Salamanca, where we stayed with Sundowners the able down into Portugal, cant wait. Make sure you all have your stickers in the windows.

17. sedge

sedge Funster

Our MHF nameplate is in our window at EVERY rally we attend ! Doesn't matter what organisation is running the rally - if they can't be bothered providing nice nameplates ......... !

18. Quintapedro

Quintapedro Campsite Owner Portugal

algarve

Hi

My freind, for me it´s a littel bit cold:Wink:, but i ken tell you in the past, same days in febuary, i went to the beach an pass a day swim in the sea:thumb:, in the nigth is a littel bit cold....

But in the begining of January,it´s a littel bit cold....but most of the days in the day time, you don´t need a jacket, in the nigth is wen it´s cold.....

i ken tell you, is a bit like the days we are having here now in Algarve, in the evening and early morning is a littel bit cold, but after 11 am an till 4pm you enjoy the sun onli with a shirt or a swetshirt....today for Dezembem it´s a very good day, herewe have sun and 19º day time, and in the evning probably it will be 9º....

See you soon
    Pedro & Mireille

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Last year in Portugal during December / January it was around 18C most days from about 10am to about 3pm and some days we got 22C for short periods. You can get away with jeans and a tea shirt ( Mel was in shorts a few days!! ) and one chap ( who's name has gone from my mind ) was in shorts 247.....

At night you will need a jumper or coat, but again some did not wear anything other than a tea shirt!!!!

In 9 days time I will be able to report back here as to what the weather is like on he ground.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Good question because I was daydreaming last night of going that way after Christmas. This site gives what are probably useful figures. http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Algarve-weather-averages/PT.aspx

You will often just see a graph showing average temperatures which isn't much use at it is the average over 24 hours but the graph at the bottom of the page shows average highs and lows. It also shows the rainfall and the average number of days each month rain falls on.

The above is easily digestible information but if you want more detail the best weather site I know is www.yr.no which despite being Norwegian is a brilliant resource. Just type in a place and it will show things like the next 10 days forecast and also by clicking the statistics button you can get annual figures. For example: http://www.yr.no/place/Portugal/Faro/Faro/statistics.html

I used this site on a cycle trip up the west coast of France this summer and their 10 day forecast turned out to be spot on everyday.

However, from what I have read getting a pitch which gets full sun all day and is out of the wind is perhaps the most important factor!