taking a motorhome to lindisfarne priory and camping nearby

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by paulus the woodgnome, Feb 7, 2010.

1. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

going to northumberland soon
    want to visit lindisfarne priory
    any campsites nearby to either walk or cycle from or can you take your motorhome over and park thier
    motorhome is 7.35 metres

2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I must be wrong but I always thought lindisfarne was a small island??

Doug...

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if memory serves the roads in the village are a tad narrow but there is a carpark.....dont suppose for one minute they allow overnight camping.

just before the causeway is a pull-in area where, unless its been barriered, you could stay overnight.

apart from the proiry and walking theres not a lot there.
    couple of pubs and cafe's and the obligitory gift shops.

you do need to read the posted tide times at each end of the causeway as the tide comes in fast and you could be stranded on the island.

4. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

It's a tidal Island Doug. you can cross the causeway twice a day but not adviseable to try and race the tide. Lots of rescues each year of people who try.

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Ah!! I see, thanks for the info, never been there, obviously, just read about it in historical books.

Doug...

6. nicholsong

nicholsong Read Only Funster

Long, long ago, when at Durham University, sat waiting for the tide just off Lindisfarne causway in my Minivan (my only new purchase vehicle in my life-£359)

Then the thunderstorm arrived-we were the only bit of metal in the area! OK I know about Faraday Cages, but still scary.

Forget the problems of getting there, it is still a magical place - especially if you have studied the history of the place and know its significance in the history of the NE and of England as a whole.

Enjoy it

Geoff

7. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

Lindisfarne

Hi,

We went two years ago and stayed at a farm CL site just before the causeway. It was approx 5 miles to the island itself. As previous posters have said you do have to watch the tides. There is no overnight camping on the island. It is signposted in car park. The address is Mr Rogerson Brock Mill Farm Beal, Berwick upon Tweed. Tel. 01289 381283. or www.lindisfarne.org.uk/brock-mill-farmhouse. Its the closest we could find, hope it helps.:thumb::thumb:

8. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

Yes you can to over to lindisfarne with your motorhome and park on the main car park but i don`t think you can overnight there.Sorry i cant recommend any campsites. I have seen the odd motorhome tucked up in the dunes just off the causeway weather they overnight there ? i don't know.
    you could always arrange to miss getting of the Island with the tides forcing you to stay :)Wink::Wink:)
    I do quite a bit of wild camping but have never stayed on the island usually i stay on the car park at Seahouses when I'm up that way .

9. scran

scran Read Only Funster

car park

we have stayed overnight in car park before crossing with no problems but know chance of staying in car park on island have seen motorhomes in the dunes but not sure if they stayed overnight:Smile:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

11. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

12. paulus the woodgnome

thanks
    haggerstone castle campsite is looking good
    16 minutes to holy island
    12 minutes to berwick
    33 minutes to alnwick
    is there any motorhome parking in alnwick?

13. paulus the woodgnome

thankyou for the tide times they will be very usefull:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Another one to try http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/beachcomber/campsite.htm

You could try Alnwick rugby club[​IMG] .... Tel. 01665602342.... Just off the A1, they can accomodate motorhomes

Alnwick Parking :- from what I can remamber, there are somel dedicated Motorhome parking spaces in the car park outside Alnwick Castle. :Smile:

15. HWO

HWO Read Only Funster

Alnwick is good for parking. Special bays set aside for motorhomes at the castle gardens carpark and also in the town

16. paulus the woodgnome

17. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Haggi Castle can be a very rowdy site at times, not one I have frequented for a very long time.

The West Kyloe site is very quiet & probably better situated for what you want.
    Good access to the Holy Island, Budle Bay, Bem,burgh & chips at Seahouses, as well as straight down the A1 to Alnwick.

Trips to the Farne Islands to see the Seals & puffins depending on season are a good day out. :RollEyes:

18. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

There is a very nice CCC site at Beadnall (Anstead Camp Site).

It's one of my absolute favourites - very basic, but it's right on the beach, and the views out to the Farne Island just gorgeous. Seahouses, about 15 mins walk has some of the best fish and chips on the face of the planet!!

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We stayed on Lindesfarne in our motorhome in August 2004. It was wonderful! We bought a ticket for the car park and tucked ourselves up in the corner ... accidentially on purpose 'missing' the crossing back. :Blush:

We went down to the shore, looking back towards the mainland, where some of the locals had gathered, and had a nice natter to them whilst we watched the sunset, the dogs paddled, as did our pet rat Sprite - it was a beautiful evening.:Smile:

Unfortunately our Sprite passed away in the early hours of the morning, he'd had his normal 'tea' treat of a bit of our BBQ food as usual. As he was an old rat at 3 years it was to be expected some time, very upsetting still, but I couldn't think of a better place if I was gonna pop my clogs!!! He is buried in the sand dunes, well out of the way 'overlooking' the inner bay where we enjoyed the lovely evening ... say hello to him if you visit.

Oh, if anyone is wondering how Sprite got his name ... see the last photo!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Beware of walking dogs on Lindisfarne -they have a weed called Piri-Piri whose seeds are a right pain to remove from your dog. There are warning signs about the seeds but they only warn of the danger of spreading the weed off the island - they do not warn of the distress caused to dogs by being covered in this pest.(and the hours to remove them).

Haggerston castle cost us £28 for one night , arriving after 6 and having to be off site by 10 next morning. We had a car parked within 3 feet of us with an awning and a caravan 3 feet on the other side of the car - this was repeated down a row of about 20 units! A fire would have been disastrouse for many. When emptying the cassette in the morning I spoke to a lady who had phoned 'security' at 1, 3 and 5 oclock during the night to complain about a bunch of scroats shouting and fighting in the van next to her all night.
    We will never go back.