taking a feed from leisure battery to a 12 volt socket (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
20161108_173058.jpg We want to use a 12 volt socket and connect it direct to the leisure battery, can we use ordinary electrical wire and will it harm either the tv or the leisure battery.
The leisure battery reads 13.6 now as it is connected to EHU from the unit above the door so will that high of 13.6 harm the tv?
We have been running the tv watching movies from a tablet from which we play movies and watch on the 22 inch screen from a 12 volt socket in the habitation are but the cables only reach to the tv if placed across the floor which is not ideal.
The leisure batteries are in a locker outside on the side the tv sits so we could bring a cable in from the battery boxes nearer to the tv

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A leisure battery's voltage will vary between 12ish Volts and over 14 Volts (when driving and it's charging from the alternator). Best guess is your telly has a power pack between the 12v socket and the set that will regulate how much current it takes from the battery. That's why someone in the back could watch the telly when parked up or while driving.

If a cable is coming directly from the the leisure battery it should have an appropriate in-line fuse fitted. The fuse rating can be calculated from the Wattage of the telly (see on power pack label) and the Voltage of the battery.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
It depends on your definition of "ordinary electrical wire". Do you mean domestic twin & earth? Or something made with automotive applications in mind?

I'm not sure if that 10A fuse you have there is suitable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
A leisure battery's voltage will vary between 12ish Volts and over 14 Volts (when driving and it's charging from the alternator). Best guess is your telly has a power pack between the 12v socket and the set that will regulate how much current it takes from the battery. That's why someone in the back could watch the telly when parked up or while driving.

If a cable is coming directly from the the leisure battery it should have an appropriate in-line fuse fitted. The fuse rating can be calculated from the Wattage of the telly (see on power pack label) and the Voltage of the battery.

Theres no power pack on the tv, the original power pack broke and we had a cable which fitted and it runs directly from a cable.
The only power pack we have is the one we use for it when its runs from a 3 pin electric plug socket, 240v.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It depends on your definition of "ordinary electrical wire". Do you mean domestic twin & earth? Or something made with automotive applications in mind?

I'm not sure if that 10A fuse you have there is suitable.

I mean ordinary domestic twin and earth but we would only use the twin and not the earth.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't use T&E in a m/h. It's likely to fracture. You could use domestic flex (13A), the wires must be multi-core.
Some TVs are sensitive to over voltage, so you may need a stabiliser (I'd only bother if the TV was expensive).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Theres no power pack on the tv, the original power pack broke and we had a cable which fitted and it runs directly from a cable.

A wiser person than me might be able to advise you on that then, but if the telly's 22 inch and its 12v cable originally had a power pack on it there would have been a reason. Current regulation is the best I can think of.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Don't use T&E in a m/h. It's likely to fracture. You could use domestic flex (13A), the wires must be multi-core.
Some TVs are sensitive to over voltage, so you may need a stabiliser (I'd only bother if the TV was expensive).

whats... Don't use T&E in a m/h please?

The tv is now 5 years old so not expensive, I dont want the risk of a fire though, any chance of that?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We run our's on 12v all the time, The power pack is stowed away,

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A cigarette socket will typically carry 10-12 Amps so the flexible cable should be capable of carrying that current.
You fit the correct size fuse to protect that cable from carrying too much current, overheating and melting the insulation
Typical TV's require around 8 Amps at 12Volts.

You'll be fine(y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

The tv is now 5 years old so not expensive, I dont want the risk of a fire though, any chance of that?

Domestic twin and earth is solid copper and doesn't like vibration or flexing as it may snap. Multicore stranded of the appropriate diameter is the way to go.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Don't use the grey domestic wiring twin and earth which comprise just single wires. Use a multistrand wire which is more flexible

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

Do not use twin and earth (cable) in a motorhome. The TV is unlikely to burst into flames.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When twin and earth is referred to it's the stiff wire used in (fixed) house wiring. If you meant the kind of wire used between a kettle and the wall (i.e. flexible) that'd be ok.
The picture I recall included a fuse. You'll need one of those at the same (12V) rating for your TV.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
this is twin and earth cable
Link Removed

This is multistrand cable

R6903946-01.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why run it from the battery, why not connect it to your vans 12v distribution system, that is what I do when I fit extra sockets.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Twin red and black cable for car / auto use is cheap enough on ebay..
Link Removed

Most Tv's will be capable of accepting voltage variations with a certain tolerance ie 11-14v...
Of course you can be ultra careful and buy 12v regulators to keep the voltage constant,... In theory the only time it's going to hit close to 14v is when the mains charger is on. You pays your money and makes your choice. Ran a 12v tv direct for 4 years, never an issue.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Why run it from the battery, why not connect it to your vans 12v distribution system, that is what I do when I fit extra sockets.
We would if we knew how. We fitted this to a previous van which had the hab battery under the rear lounge bed.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Twin red and black cable for car / auto use is cheap enough on ebay..
Link Removed

Most Tv's will be capable of accepting voltage variations with a certain tolerance ie 11-14v...
Of course you can be ultra careful and buy 12v regulators to keep the voltage constant,... In theory the only time it's going to hit close to 14v is when the mains charger is on. You pays your money and makes your choice. Ran a 12v tv direct for 4 years, never an issue.
We're travelling round spain so haven't got an address to send it to otherwise we would order it. It would be a lot cheaper too I reckon!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We're travelling round spain so haven't got an address to send it to otherwise we would order it. It would be a lot cheaper too I reckon!!

AH... You never told me that... ;)

Chinese shops, all over Spain bet you will find something in there...(y)

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Next time were in a town or village we'll look out for some cable. now we know what to look for.
How would you connect it to your distribution box then?
We have the Sargent control box.cheyenne 09.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back