Taking a dog to Spain, advice regarding the ferry please and the heat (1 Viewer)

jg147

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
new
Sorry if this has been discussed before I have tried to look back at the discussions without success, I am new to the forum.

We are sailing from Plymouth on the 15th August and have dog booked in the kennels on board. I would like to know if I can walk her anywhere on board, do they have an area for her to toilet?

We are heading south to our house near Cordoba, we have booked a site an hour from the ferry in the Picos de Europa area to give our dog a few days rest and to enjoy the area. On the way to the ferry in Plymouth from Yorkshire we have also booked a night in Somerset so she is not confined to the motorhome too much. Thankfully she travels well and I think she actually enjoys going away most weekends with us as she gets so many lovely new walks.

A few friends and family have moaned at me for wanting to take our dog but I miss her so much when I am away for a few weeks. If for any reason she does seem to struggle I will not do it again. We have a local vet who has several clients from the UK so I am not too concered with her treatment before the return. I know it will be hot, we do have air con at our house and I have already bought her a paddling pool (nothing is too much trouble for my dog, we have a pecking order in our house and everyone knows Molly my dog comes first, followed by the humans, ha ha):ROFLMAO:

If anyone has any tips for the heat and how to help her I would be grateful. I will walk her very early morning and very late at night and expect a higher electric bill as we will run the air more for her.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
We came back from santander last year with our german shepherd, there are kennels on the top deck and you can visit them any time and give them a walk.

Our dog was stressed at being locked up but a lot of the dogs were not bothered and were fine, but the kennels have to be booked, this year we are going via Dover and he will come down to Spain with us he really enjoys the travells and copes with the heat ok.

You will be ok.:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use the santander crossing and usually have the dog.at one time they never had kennels you just left the dog i the car/camper and could get to the garage every 3 hrs. now a few yrs ago new boats have kennells . they are horible .i leave my dog in the camper .have to pay for the kennel .
when we used to come down to the garage at night i used to stay and sleep in the trailer saves having a cabin.
if all kennels are payed for they will still let you take a dog and leave it in the car.
cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Assuming you have a kennel booked, when you go on the ferry you will be told to leave the dog in the vehicle and take what stuff you require to your cabin and then go back to the car deck, you will then collect your dog and be taken to where the kennels are, make sure you have booked a big enough kennel for your dog, dont forget its bed and food etc, there is an area you can walk your dog and it can do its business and you are expected to clean any mess up, so have suitable clothes incase you also need to kennel clean.

OP
OP
jg147

jg147

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
new
Thank you

Thank you for the replies, I feel happier knowing I can walk her. Molly is only small and we have booked a kennel. I am not sure how she will be when we leave her but when she had to go to the vets they said she sat in a kennel fine. Lets hope she feels the same on the ferry. I also hope it is a calm crossing for her and us as I am not a keen sailer. We may go via France next year and make it part of the holiday one way at least.

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
We just took the Pont Aven return....doggies not keen on kennels but we visited often and you can arrange times that include mostly night hours?? It reassures them to know that you are there!!

Just a point that we were not aware of...we needed a kennel for the 3 Yorkies as they are happier together, so we booked a MEDIUM kennel.....yes, they had plenty of room BUT.....the 2 smallest could have got out through the front bars.....an "upstairs" kennel too.....happily, we were able to change!! Best of luck....!! :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back