Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Can please someone point me in the right direction regards taking a dog (or 2) abroad to france maybe spain and italy
What do I need to do etc
I know nothing on this subject

Thanks

Duane

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
it needs its rabis jab and a pet passport then max 5 days before u return u need to get a jab done at a local vets if goin to spain get it the tic collor as well

and dont forget to get a dog as well

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
best read is this web site

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

its the official DEFRA site.

we take our dog all the time no issues and simple on return just make sure you are aware of the requirements and speak to roryboysdad re where vets are located who are in the scheme in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Queenie

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
dogs on holls

best check with your vet or Kennel Club, you will need a pet passport, the dogs have to be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and kennel cough also they need to have their annual vacs up to date. check with the ferry company you travel with, to make sure they take dogs.....hope this helps.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
best check with your vet or Kennel Club, you will need a pet passport, the dogs have to be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and kennel cough also they need to have their annual vacs up to date. check with the ferry company you travel with, to make sure they take dogs.....hope this helps.:thumb:

i dont think Kennel Cough vaccination is needed ( at least we dont have it and travel ) ( the dog that is:Doh: ) only Rabies and normal vaccines upto date.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pity you can't get Frontline or flea collars for humans. SWMBO and me got bitten all over in Spain last year. The dog was fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Go and see your Vet after reading the Defra link.

Dog microchipped, annual injections up to date, passport in paw - and then unleash the dogs into Europe.

You'll not regret the meagre amount of money spent on their Passport/s when you realise what it would have cost to put them in Kennels and the peace of mind when you take them with you.

Then you'll start asking – Tunnel or Ferry? - won't you?

:france::france::france:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Whilst waiting for my lad to be checked for return to the UK, I managed to read a little of a poster in the Vets aimed at the French. They recommend further innoculations if they are travelling to Southern France and into Spain.
Can't recall what it was (IT WAS IN FRENCH) but something to do with other dog related diseases. Even my vet did tell me he would need more if venturing into Spain.
It's incredible that if me and the dog were bitten by a rabid dog he is better protected than me! I haven't had a rabies jab but then I don't have to have a chip implanted in my neck !

Most ferry operators take pets. P and O etc are £15 each way but DFDS are free out but £30 return to the UK?
Pets must stay below on the Calais crossing but my lad is in his bed in his MH. He will always accept any discomfort to go on holiday. Even on the back seat 328 miles to Cornwall !

Attachments

• Travel.jpg
    Travel.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread