Taking a dog abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by duane0001, Mar 4, 2013.

1. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Can please someone point me in the right direction regards taking a dog (or 2) abroad to france maybe spain and italy
    What do I need to do etc
    I know nothing on this subject

Thanks

Duane

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

it needs its rabis jab and a pet passport then max 5 days before u return u need to get a jab done at a local vets if goin to spain get it the tic collor as well

and dont forget to get a dog as well

3. Phill D

Phill D

best read is this web site

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

its the official DEFRA site.

we take our dog all the time no issues and simple on return just make sure you are aware of the requirements and speak to roryboysdad re where vets are located who are in the scheme in France

4. Queenie

Queenie Read Only Funster

dogs on holls

best check with your vet or Kennel Club, you will need a pet passport, the dogs have to be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and kennel cough also they need to have their annual vacs up to date. check with the ferry company you travel with, to make sure they take dogs.....hope this helps.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phill D

Phill D

i dont think Kennel Cough vaccination is needed ( at least we dont have it and travel ) ( the dog that is:Doh: ) only Rabies and normal vaccines upto date.

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Pity you can't get Frontline or flea collars for humans. SWMBO and me got bitten all over in Spain last year. The dog was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Go and see your Vet after reading the Defra link.

Dog microchipped, annual injections up to date, passport in paw - and then unleash the dogs into Europe.

You'll not regret the meagre amount of money spent on their Passport/s when you realise what it would have cost to put them in Kennels and the peace of mind when you take them with you.

Then you'll start asking – Tunnel or Ferry? - won't you?

:france::france::france:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Larby

Larby Funster

Whilst waiting for my lad to be checked for return to the UK, I managed to read a little of a poster in the Vets aimed at the French. They recommend further innoculations if they are travelling to Southern France and into Spain.
    Can't recall what it was (IT WAS IN FRENCH) but something to do with other dog related diseases. Even my vet did tell me he would need more if venturing into Spain.
    It's incredible that if me and the dog were bitten by a rabid dog he is better protected than me! I haven't had a rabies jab but then I don't have to have a chip implanted in my neck !

Most ferry operators take pets. P and O etc are £15 each way but DFDS are free out but £30 return to the UK?
    Pets must stay below on the Calais crossing but my lad is in his bed in his MH. He will always accept any discomfort to go on holiday. Even on the back seat 328 miles to Cornwall !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013