Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just got back from the very first trip in the Hymer. Sunny Southport, no less. Now, TV reception can be dickey at the best of times there, but mine was zilch. On the roof sit two TV aerials, a Omnidirectional thing, and a MaxView satellite dish, both kaput, and so my thoughts are running this way:
Strip down the MaxView kit off the extending pole, and fit an 'Image' flat fishbone type aerial. (I already have one from the ex caravan). This can be extended at rest, and folds neatly behind the Hymer's luton top bulge when mobile. Now the question. The Image seems quite sturdy, but does the team think it will stand up to travel on the roof?? Never seen one used like this, but it would save a large wad if I can get away with it.::bigsmile:
Dave.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There are mixed views regarding the flying saucer aeriels. As for the sat dish is there a sat receiver connected to it and not just a tv. Southport is closer to Winter Hill and you should have no problem with signal strength.
A lot of your motorhoming life will be taken up by trying to get a decent TV picture,why waste it? If its sports you want there are many sites with clubhouses with TV. The pictures are much better on the radio. I take a tv and portable sat kit with me and have used them very rarely and generally listen to the radio,Ipod or read a book.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these Link Removed
works for local tv here or abroad .
lots truckers use them . great bits of kit .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
just a thought, if using a digital TV /set top as I would think most would have to by now have you re tuned the receiver, remember you need to do this everytime you change sites / area's. I use one of these Link Removed only had a couple of problems getting a signal in real bad area's but most of the time it's been excellent

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Sorry No such thing as a digital aerial, it is the tv , mine has the sat reciever in it, its an Aztex, others may need a sat box,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thanks to you all for your replies. The 'MaxView' has no box, the dish is broken, and the centre receiving thingie is all taped up, and so thats my reason for discounting it, on cost alone. The 'Omni' sort of worked, but even though it's mounted high, the picture from the Winter Hill Transmitter has broken and patchy. We dont watch much telly, maybe the news, when away, just really to keep up with things, hence the idea ref the 'Image' aerial.
The list of stuff we need to renew/replace is endless, and I dont want to spend a packet, or really add another aerial to the thing, it already looks like GCHQ on the top!:roflmto: Like Bigfoot, we tend to have the 'wireless' on most of the time, and so it's importance is very low in the pecking order of things, but we do have a TV, hence my question. The 'MaxView' pole goes through the roof, so just thought to utilise it.
And yes, we do retune every move.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back