Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A great place to Link Removed.. :thumb:

I could post Jim, but I suspect I may get a ban.

There are cowboys out there and they know they are cowboys and that's the problem, they simply play the smoke and mirrors and snake oil bullshit, what they don't realise is that one day their actions will kill someone.

They would NOT be allowed to undertake ANY work on your home, so why the hell we allow them near our motorhomes is beyond me, they are a walking taking time bomb, and the sooner we expose them the better. It may even save a life.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I could post Jim, but I suspect I may get a ban.

There are cowboys out there and they know they are cowboys and that's the problem, they simply play the smoke and mirrors and snake oil bullshit, what they don't realise is that one day their actions will kill someone.

They would NOT be allowed to undertake ANY work on your home, so why the hell we allow them near our motorhomes is beyond me, they are a walking taking time bomb, and the sooner we expose them the better. It may even save a life.

Why would you get a ban for leaving a review? :Doh: have a look at the site, there are good bad and terrible reviews in place. Honest reviews of service received is what that site is for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Perhaps!!!

And it is just Perhaps!! any tradesman? Kitchen fitter, Wardrobe fitter, Roofer, Chippy, Painter, Painter Decorator, Dry liner, Plumber ,Macnic WHATEVER!!! needs to be licenced?
In Aus, NSW, EVERY TRADDIE IS LICENCED BY THE STATE, I used to pay A$150 for mine per year, my mate a Roofer paid A$800 for his, as it covered Slate, Lead, tile, and Tin, SO? Why not here?

And Yes there were provisions to catch AND heavily fine those working on the Black, up to A$20,000

And think about the revenue for the Gov:thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps!!!

And it is just Perhaps!! any tradesman? Kitchen fitter, Wardrobe fitter, Roofer, Chippy, Painter, Painter Decorator, Dry liner, Plumber ,Macnic WHATEVER!!! needs to be licenced?
In Aus, NSW, EVERY TRADDIE IS LICENCED BY THE STATE, I used to pay A$150 for mine per year, my mate a Roofer paid A$800 for his, as it covered Slate, Lead, tile, and Tin, SO? Why not here?

And Yes there were provisions to catch AND heavily fine those working on the Black, up to A$20,000

And think about the revenue for the Gov:thumb:

Rangi

Its more about safety, these Muppets go out and do this work and I doubt if they have the full training. They may talk the talk, but you cant go from carpet fitter to Motorhome engineer after a 6 hr training course.

I bet Tofo never managed to go and work on people gas boilers after 4 hours training, but we allow these UNQUALIFIED individuals to. It should be made illegal..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I disagree.
Controlled Area Network Bus Systems , or CAN bus ( there are many other data bus systems with differering protocols) simplify both the wiring harness AND diagnostics.

Here's a typical diagnostic process-

Fault- Box A won't talk to Box B.

Is the wiring broken? No, go to next stage. Yes, repair the wiring.

Does Box A talk to Box C? No, replace Box A. Yes, replace Box B.

Simples!:thumb:

Sure beats measuring countless analogue inputs and outputs!::bigsmile:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The funniest post this year

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Rangi

Its more about safety, these Muppets go out and do this work and I doubt if they have the full training. They may talk the talk, but you cant go from carpet fitter to Motorhome engineer after a 6 hr training course.

I bet Tofo never managed to go and work on people gas boilers after [HI]4 hours training, [/HI]but we allow these UNQUALIFIED individuals to. It should be made illegal..

I think the HSE Exec approved ACOPS Gas course is run over a full week. Should it be longer?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think the HSE Excec approved ACOPS Gas course is a full week. Should it be longer?

I have no idea, the best person to answer that one would be Tofo... He is the expert on gas,.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't have time to read 5 pages (where this may have already been discussed) but looking at the picture in the OP it looks to me as if the box has been melted by external heat, i.e. has it been "cooked" by the heater?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Rangi

I bet Tofo never managed to go and work on people gas boilers after 4 hours training, but we allow these UNQUALIFIED individuals to. It should be made illegal..

I wouldn't like to count the hours behind a desk and workshop time
For my city & guilds in gas fitting
(my electrical qualification for [HI]British gas pre division into b gas/ Transco[/HI]
Use only then my weeks of training to install and maintain gas boilers)

All to be lost when British gas/Transco ( national grid now )devolved out of
British gas corporation

Now I am no longer deemed competent and as such am no more competent than anyone else
Would I use a gas engineer electrician or plumber
In my house not if I can avoid it
Which may not be far off the way I feel some days
All problems from the work I've done

In my opinion Evan the best can make a mistake
Done it myself wired the heating system in our house
27 wires into one box and I missed 1 blue link wire about 1&1/2 inches long
Took a while to track it down
But I'm good at persistance
Much easier when I changed the boiler to a combination
All that was required was a 3amp plug and thermostatic valves

I generally trust my own competence
When I'm out of my depth I employ someone
At the moment it's only the mot man and skoda cause the cars still under warranty :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I think the HSE Exec approved ACOPS Gas course is run over a full week. Should it be longer?

When we took on apprentices to national grid gas they underwent 3 years training to end up NVQ in pipes and meters
Oh and stopping gas leaks with the aid of a cap and plug
Or at the gas meter
And resetting prepayment meters

Much to consumers annoyance I am sure

I don't think the training now is as in depth
for acops accreditation as it was when I joined British gas 46 years back

But now I'm not qualified to turn a tap on

In answer to your question mr sir lord jim
Although the course and exam
may be a week for the basic qualification
I understand that there are many levels of competence

Ie gas pipes
Boilers
Fires
Cookers
Water heaters
Catering
Then you move up to industrial appliances a whole world of maths to perform for testing and commissioning

Then you get to LPG a whole different ball game

And that lot has to be repeated every 5 years
In an exam by whatever company holds the current contact
To I think HMG

And when you sit the exam you have left your qualification at the door in
If you pass you pick it up going out so to speak
It used to be 100% for a pass

:thumb:j:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can someone please tell me what qualifications if any, are required to become a motorhome service engineer and how long does it take to get these qualifications. As I see it, to do any motorhome habitation services you would have to have qualifications in Electrics, both 12 volt and mains. Gas, boilers, heaters and refrigeration. Plumbing, water etc. This is before we start on the actual van mechanics, ie brakes, lights, steering. I wonder how many one man bands have the correct qualifications to do this work. Many may think they can maintain there own van, but its one thing maintaining your own van and another charging £25 per hour plus to maintain someone else's. As Shifty quite rightly points out, what is required for the transition from carpet fitter to motorhome fitter ?.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not sure how much training they do Dave, but it's measured in weeks I think. I don't know if there are any longer courses or apprenticeships like a motor mechanic might attend. But there is a structure of qualifications they need to get NCC approved status. Most don't touch the vehicle engine and running gear aspects, leaving that to Fiat, Mercedes etc, focussing only on the habitation aspects.

Meanwhile, If there are companies or individuals out there who are so incompetent that they are dangerous, then let's have the reviews of their shoddy work on the review site. If the companies are not already listed, just shout, we'll get them added. Keeping people guessing about these companies or individuals while implying they are or might be Funsters casts a shadow over fitters who maybe more than competent

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Re the 60%, I imagine that is the starting level for new members, bearing in mind that to get in, they have to be assessed to the NCC "rigorous standards" whatever they are. That seems a fair way to do it. I will try and find out what those standards are later to day.

Meanwhile among all the bluster, I note that our review site has no new reviews:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have no idea, the best person to answer that one would be Tofo... He is the expert on gas,.

You should ask Pammy, she's spent the last 15 years +in gas training and certification administration at West Notts Collage, right from Corgi to whatever its called these days

Recently head hunted by one of the UKs big 5 Gas suppliers to keep all their men fully qualified and up to speed on qualifications

She has worked for many years in the leisure industry also dealing with training and Gas safety

A personal friend is also a "Recognised Expert Legal Witness" dealing with cases from gas leaks to explosions and unfortunately fatalities

Some of the stories are scary:Eeek:

So me thinks Pammy might outrank the others:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Knowing Pammy's area of expertise I did plan to contact her today:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Going back to electrickery, when I was at work there was a team of qualified electricians whos sole purpose in life was to go round the site testing plugs and sockets. They had a device that they (for example) would plug into a socket and it would let them know if a fault was present.
Could this not be done as part of a hab check? :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Going back to electrickery, when I was at work there was a team of qualified electricians whos sole purpose in life was to go round the site testing plugs and sockets. They had a device that they (for example) would plug into a socket and it would let them know if a fault was present.
Could this not be done as part of a hab check? :Smile:

In the hab checks I've had Ken, there was extensive testing of the 240 circuitry, I have used Ash for the last couple of years and he leaves me with a sheet that details all the checks/tests and results. I will dig it out later and scan it to show the scope. From memory, it's quite comprehensive.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Meanwhile, If there are companies or individuals out there who are so incompetent that they are dangerous, then let's have the reviews of their shoddy work on the review site. If the companies are not already listed, just shout, we'll get them added. Keeping people guessing about these companies or individuals while implying they are or might be Funsters casts a shadow over fitters who maybe more than competent

Thats where I have concerns , generally speaking , ref company review sites Jim . For want of a better description , some appear to narrow down to a "love in " for particular companies or organisations .Making their purpose nothing at all to do with reviews , more to do with company advertising and all reviews being positive .Basically completely worthless to customers searching around for a decent , professional company to undertake whatever work is required .

But being subjected to poor standards of service anywhere in the range from pre sale through to after care , then putting that on a review site is a different ball game . Surely that lays the reviewer , or site owner for that matter , open to legal action if the review is not "good" ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So...We think its weeks that the professionals have to train to service and repair all the different types and makes of fridge, boiler, heating system, etc , that are fitted in a motorhome. Do they go on refresher courses when new products come out, or do they learn as they go along at our expense. Many think that all motorhome fridges are the same but have a look on the Dometic website just to see how many different models of fridge there are. Thats just the fridge, multiply that by all the other consumer units in a modern motorhome and then tell me they can learn all about that in a few weeks. I have a friend who is a time served plumber and gas fitter, who I once asked to fit me an outside gas BBQ point. He flatly refused saying he was not qualified to work on bottled gas, after 30 years of fitting and maintaining gas boilers with regular refresher courses. When you think of the basic construction of a motorhome with gas, electric and water all in close proximity they are nothing short of a bomb waiting to go off if not maintained by a fully qualified competent engineer and not someone in a back yard drinking beer.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't allow bad reviews in the forums because you get a lot of "me too" "they're crooks" "wouldn't touch them with a barge pole" type comments. These leave me wide open to damage claims. Also, if someone has a beef with a company, every time that company is mentioned, the boot goes in again and again. This is not a consumer site, this place is for the Fun aspect of Motorhomes and their use.

The review site is different, it's a one time review site on a different domain. One bit of bad service, one complaint, reviews that are clear, objective and state the facts, remain for all to see. take a look there are plenty of less than satisfactory reviews.

If the review contains terms like crooks, rip off merchants etc, they will be deleted. Reviews should be honest open and factual.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Should have someone coming back to me today with the criteria for obtaining NCC approved Worksop Status:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A few years ago I had the misfortune to witness a campsite fire in Spain, started by a leaking BBQ hose connection. Within 10 minutes 5 vans were no more. It would have completely destroyed the site if it were not for there being 2 empty pitches that stopped it. We have all seen how close pitches are in Spain, so its imperative that safety checks are not only done correctly but frequently. The Germans have the right idea as gas tests are compulsory and must be done like an MOT in the UK. Once a heating system or gas boiler is 20 years old, it must be decommissioned whether its working correctly or not.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Over the last two I have suffered some water creeping into the van, the place I have it services could not find the source.

I have also suffered from a failure of my fridge, well partially, the ignition light failed to go out, so I assumed that the fridge was not working when it was.

Suddenly my hot water and heater failed and upon investigation it was discovered the following ‘meltdown’ on my distribution board.

Not a new issue I hear you shout, indeed not, but having said that, the company who sold me the motorhome, a mobile engineer and a fully fledged dealer all failed to spot the issue. What was the issue I hear a lone voice from the back?

Well the issue was a simple one, the EHU hook-up connector was faulty, the heat from the said EHU connector then transferred the heat to the distribution board and that then caused the casing to melt. There was a lack of ANY protection on the 240v supply.

I suggest that as Funsters you check very carefully as to your electricity, as 240v running through the metallic frame of your bed is not an ideas that I would recommend.

Whilst on recommendations, I suggest that you chose who you allow to work on your pride and joy with great care. One week a self employed carpet fitter, next week a fully qualified Caravan and Motorhome certified engineer with suitable qualifications from some unknown organisation for Hull or Honduras.

In the motorhome industry I doubt if John Wayne came across as many cowboys, so be aware. My current problem could have easily fried ShiftZZ, so tale care out there.
With thanks to MB.

THERE ARE MOUSE DROPPINGS IN YOUR VAN!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have had a look but can't find reviews??

Is it going to be like my car keys, right in front of my nose when I ask Bev!

David
left hand side of front page

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988