Tag Or Double Axle

Discussion in 'How To' started by brian hill, Sep 5, 2011.

1. brian hill

brian hill Read Only Funster

Tag axle or Double wheel any one got any suggestions

2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Usually twin wheels are the driving wheels giving plenty of grip, with weight above, and tag axles are usually floating wheels, not driven, and rely on front wheel drive pulling them along.
    If a front wheel drive vehicle is heavily loaded at the rear, they can have little grip, hence having to be towed off a wet site, where as a rear wheel drive would fair better.

Craig

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Tag axle will cost you more on any foreign toll roads if you ever use them. Also a tag is often associated with a longer van..
    So if you want to remain a bit shorter but still have weight capacity the the double / twin wheel... However I think these are harder to find..

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

At the risk of being labelled a pedant, your question refers to the pros and cons of Twin Rear Axle vans versus Twin Rear Wheel vans. The term "Tag Axle" refers to a non-driven axle that sits behind the driven axle of a rear-wheel drive vehicle to provide additional load carrying capacity. These are often seen on coaches and some garbage trucks. I don't think any motorhome has a "Tag Axle" according to the strict definition of the term, although it is often used - even by dealers.

So, a twin-axled van has two non-driven rear axles, whereas a twin-wheeled van has one rear driven axle with two wheels at each end. The biggest advantage comes from rear wheel drive, since the weight is concentrated over the driven axle. As stated in an earlier response, that may get you off a wet pitch much more easily than a front-wheel drive van. Having twin wheels gives even more grip than with a single rear wheel-driven van (like mine).

Another advantage of a rear-wheel driven van is that it often has a tighter turning circle than is the case for many front-wheel driven vans.

In France, some municipal campsites will not allow twin-axled vans onto the site. I believe this is a "non-discriminatory" way of preventing travellers from stopping, since they commonly use twin-axled caravans such as Fendt and Hobby. I know this to be true in Amboise and have heard other reports of the issue.

Hope this is some help.