Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry Jim but you're wrong Class 2 unless its over 3 metres high. In nearly 5 years touring allover Europe never been charged more than Class 2. However I know someone with a Carthargo that is charged Class 4 it is shorter than my van but higher.

Class 2 for our Hobby :)

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
HI Spud and welcome to MHF,enjoy your time here its a great forum(y) don't take any notice of the fact that sometimes threads go a little off course:LOL:its part and parcel of how the forum works.we have had RV,s for the last 8yrs and have now ordered a N+B Arto due for delivery next month (fingers crossed) what motorhome are you getting,hope the hand over goes well and you enjoy it(y).welcome aboard.
Brian & Jo
Thank you both for your welcome.
We (my first wife and I) hopefully, take delivery next month of a Burstner Argos. Can't wait.
Spud.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Ah, Am I being drawn into going off topic!?

Hi Brian & Jo,
Just about to become the owner of a tag axle, so your above original posted question was of interest to me.
I am new to the forum and have started to notice how a lot of posts seem to get hijacked/sidetracked!
The premis of the question asked seems quite straight forward.
I may start another thread on this as I don't want to fall foul of my own observations.
Spud.
Mmm, I suppose I am.

Can i pry and ask do you have a secound wife tucked away somewhere :D

Do you just get her out for bank holidays and weekends :D

Under UK law, I believe, one wife at a time is all you are allowed, which is enough for any sane man and I've been with mine for over 30 years (the sanity aspect of that last sentence maybe questionable).
To keep the subject losely on topic, generally it is me , who on bank holidays and weekends, 'TAGs' along!
Spud.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ah, Am I being drawn into going off topic!?

Mmm, I suppose I am.

Under UK law, I believe, one wife at a time is all you are allowed, which is enough for any sane man and I've been with mine for over 30 years (the sanity aspect of that last sentence maybe questionable).
To keep the subject losely on topic, generally it is me , who on bank holidays and weekends, 'TAGs' along!
Spud.
Sorry i couldn't help myself it was just the way you put it as "first wife" maybe implying you had more than one :D

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Back on topic ! Sorry!!!

Burstner 747 tag 8m and 5t.
Before that had a 33'rv and a 37' fifth wheel.
We FT so a bigger vehicle and large payload is essential.

Will change it next year but will be for a newer tag or if I can fin the right layout and size a RWD dually.

Never had any problems with sites and roads etc - unlike with the previous 2 we had as above! (Not gettin onto that one!!) so for us it has given us a good deal more flexibility than before and to be honest the space is adequate and necessary. That's really why we 'downsized' !

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
That's my 'Tag' line when introducing her, and I'm her first husband. (Still losely on topic, hope you don't mind all this Brian & Jo)

Harrers

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C class lowline
Exp
Since 2011
See avatar! Autotrail Chieftain towing Fiat Panda on trailer.

In case the avatar is too small to see here's the full version

image.jpg

This is our first mh which we have owned for more than 3 years now. Very happy with the van but can't compare with non-tags as never having owned one. Did own and drive a Renault Master as a delivery van for approx. 6 months and also drove a 7.5 ton truck for 3 days (my ex didn't realise I was going to be away for nights!)

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
See avatar! Autotrail Chieftain towing Fiat Panda on trailer.

In case the avatar is too small to see here's the full version

View attachment 53484

This is our first mh which we have owned for more than 3 years now. Very happy with the van but can't compare with non-tags as never having owned one. Did own and drive a Renault Master as a delivery van for approx. 6 months and also drove a 7.5 ton truck for 3 days (my ex didn't realise I was going to be away for nights!)
we used to have an Autotrail Cheiftain and we towed Jo,s Panda on and A-frame,great motorhome the cheiftain(y)
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yes.. but it's a bit like a 'why I love my RV thread' .. all those who own them praising them ..

you need to ask ex owners why they sold them to get a balanced view.. :)
ok finally got around to it.What are the reasons people have sold their tag axle motorhomes.
Brian & Jo

freddy

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Laika eco vip
Exp
since 2006
autotrail chieftain with chev matiz, love the layout and size,used to have a 70'narrowboat! john & sylvia

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was put off tandem axles three years ago on this site because one of the TAG owners was having difficulty getting his hand-brake to operate efficiently and had also struggled leveling the rear as he felt he shouldn't leave one of the rear wheels "dangling",

My dilemma is this.......I'm about to change my MoHo and the one I like comes as 4.5 tonne single rear axle or 5 tonne Tandem Axle.

I fully intend carrying a scooter (heavy) in the Garage or on a purpose made chassis carrier which of course would benefit from the extra payload afforded by the Tandem Axle but I'm still reluctant.

Which route should I go down?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I was put off tandem axles three years ago on this site because one of the TAG owners was having difficulty getting his hand-brake to operate efficiently and had also struggled leveling the rear as he felt he shouldn't leave one of the rear wheels "dangling",

My dilemma is this.......I'm about to change my MoHo and the one I like comes as 4.5 tonne single rear axle or 5 tonne Tandem Axle.

I fully intend carrying a scooter (heavy) in the Garage or on a purpose made chassis carrier which of course would benefit from the extra payload afforded by the Tandem Axle but I'm still reluctant.

Which route should I go down?
Honestly Popeye, as long as the rear brakes and Tandem Bowden cables are correctly adjusted, there isn't a problem with braking efficiency. My MOT place couldn't get over how efficient the rear tandem brakes were, when the handbrake was applied during the rolling brake test.

I have just recently had the 2 x ALKO bowden cables replaced due to deterioration of the outer casings of the originals (at great expense I might add), and when first installed, the handbrake was pi## poor. A quick adjustment of the central yolks, cured that and we are back to full braking efficiency. (I did have the brakes fully serviced at the same time).

If the 4.5 T single rear axle has double wheels, then it will be RWD, which is favoured by many both for weight distribution and grip. The 5T Tandem will be FWD, and will be good for weight distribution and stability, and with the correct tyres on the front driving wheels, it will be good for grip too.

Forestboy (Rory) carries a heavy motorbike in his rear garage without any problems.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Holllllll The 5T Tandem will be FWD, and will be good for weight distribution and stability, and with the correct tyres on the front driving wheels, it will be good for grip too.

Forestboy (Rory) carries a heavy motorbike in his rear garage without any problems.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Jocks right don't listen to the doom merchants they nearly stopped me as well.
We use our van all year even in high altitude ski resorts and carry a 650cc Kawasaki Versys in the garage and have done for nearly 5 years.
As said before most of those who talk rubbish about tags and RVs have never owned one

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well that settles that then, thank you Jock and Rory for your opinion, I will no longer leave it off the list.

Am i right in reading that your bike is 210kg Rory, if so then my new scooter is heavier at 235kg but according to the blurb it will take the weight and the dimensions.

Thanks again fellers Griff

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
I have been reading this thread with interest as i have had motorhomes on both axle types a 5.0te tandem axle on an alko chassis 7.5m ,front wheel drive used for all year touring here and in Europe no problems.Very stable loaded and in cross winds or overtaking HGVs used in alps and on grass pitches with no problems (rear wheel and front will drive will spin if ground conditions are wet,no problems with tearing up grass when turning the tag ).
And a 6.5te twin axle 8.5m iveco chassis this with air suspension to rear axle,drove the same model with no air and very unstable in cross winds and overtaking.With air- suspension my wife drives it whilst i relax.
The problem is more a question of driving style, road /weather conditions with a heavy right foot on a up hill-left or right turn from a standing start will bring on wheel spin to either type of drive system. Adapt your driving to suit and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
we had a chieftain tag axle about 8 yrs ago,drove to many different places in many different weather conditions and never had a single problem great vechicle(y).the only reason we sold it was we wanted to try an American RV which we did for 7yrs but now we are going back to a tag axle german motorhome(y)
Brian & Jo

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well that settles that then, thank you Jock and Rory for your opinion, I will no longer leave it off the list.

Am i right in reading that your bike is 210kg Rory, if so then my new scooter is heavier at 235kg but according to the blurb it will take the weight and the dimensions.

Thanks again fellers Griff

According to the blurb its 210 kg in reality its 225 kg took it and had it weighed on a small 1000kg platform scale you're right though many scooters are heavier than traditional bikes. When I decided to go down the tag route and carry a bike numerous folks warned me it couldn't or shouldn't be done for all manner of ridiculous reasons, none of which I took any notice of as none had never tried it.
Fact is it can be done and is being done all over Europe we've been doing it for 5 years and when we go race circuits around Europe we see dozens of others doing exactly the same thing.
Just do your homework and make sure you get it right.(y)(y)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have an AutoTrail Comanche and I have to be a bit cautious when the roads are damp or wet.
If I get a bit carried away with the right foot in the low gears I can spin the wheels easily.
It also gets a little vague steering if you are accelerating uphill on damp/wet roads.
The answer is to moderate the "boy racer" in me and all is fine.
Or as SWMBO says, don't drive it like you stole it. ;)

The only site we have been refused access to was C&CC site at Braithwaite Fold in the Lake District.
They said they didn't have a pitch long enough for us. Twice so far. :(

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Seems to me the longer the van and especially the overhang the more potential for traction problems. Remember being on a Aire a few years ago parked in deepish snow with fresh snow overnight. The van next to us a tag at nearly 9 metres long and huge overhang had to put chains on to get our where as we at 7.6 metres and very short overhang drove straight out without spinning a wheel. We did have M+S tyres not sure what he had but dont think it was M+S.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Snow tyres are the difference without question. I have had 4x4's with plain tyres and they still had a problem.
Watch this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back