Tag Axle Rear Brakes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by meexi, Mar 9, 2012.

1. meexi

meexi Read Only Funster

Hello,

I have a 1989 Hymer B694 Tag axle motorhome on a Peugeot J5 2.5 td chassis.

We had a problem with the brakes as every time you pressed the pedal the brakes would lock on, After much investigating we found what looks to be a one way valve just back from the nearside seat, When we removed this and put a spacer in its place and the brakes have been ok since if a little bit more travel.

Can you confirm our suspicions as to why we need a one way valve in the system?

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It may be acting like one, Im not aware of any one way valves in any braking system Its more likely a pressure regulator/equaliser brake bias valve thats gorn tits up it needs replacing dont circumvent anything on your brakes some very strange things can happen under emergency braking, your insurance will have a field day if police examiner says system was modified:Sad:

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

I'm sure Geo is right its a pressure regulator/equaliser brake bias valve especially as its a tag axle. Seem to remember reading about these playing up when I was researching mine before I bought it. Tag axles often need a double tap on the brake pedal to increase brake pressure. Mine does and plenty of others I've spoken to have said their's are the same. Brakes work perfect without a double tap and fly through the mot but pedal pressure definately increses if you just release pressure a fraction the reapply.

4. meexi

meexi Read Only Funster

That`s what i was thinking, the next question is where do i look for a replacement?

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Try this company .. get good reviews and if they can't help should be able to point you to someone who can.. worth a call

Hambilton Engineering Ltd

6. meexi

meexi Read Only Funster

Hi Jim,

Tried them, They seem to only do interior work.

Meexi