Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
JUst reading through another post about the pro's and cons of coachbuilt vs A-Class - very valuable (and varied!) opinions - useful stuff....

...i want to pick your collective brains on the benefits of TAG axled vans....I did have another post on about this but i put an example add which i think means it was taken down (ooops sorry :Blush: )

I am planning to live 3-4 days a week on a site, so i can work, then either go back to base or head off to the lakes and scotland for longweekends. I plan to spend at least a month in europe each year.

I have weighed up the options, read this site pretty extensively before joining :thumb:

A rear fixed bed is essential, seperate shower preferred, a decent lounge, just a dinette area isnt big enough - having been to a few dealers and checked them out.

I feel like the TAG option gives me more capacity (weight and space), giving I will be living in it a lot, so will need more "stuff" (food, clothes, portable washing machine, etc)

Budget is circa £20k

I like the Hobby 750 and the Hymer 710 (?) - any other suggestions I could look at?
Any known issues? (i know the hobby units had some paint issues)
Any drawbacks to having a 7m+ van? (I know it wont be as nimble!)

I am trying to find out the stuff you only find 2 months after buying and think - dang if i'd only known....!!

Appreciate the feedback :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Don't worry about the terminology it may not be technically correct but anyone that knows anything about motorhomes understands a tag axle just means its got a third axle. :thumb:

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Don't worry about the terminology it may not be technically correct but anyone that knows anything about motorhomes understands a tag axle just means its got a third axle. :thumb:

IMO correcting the term 'tag axle' is rather like correcting someone's grammar in a post - and we all know that's in direct contravention of Rule 1. :Tongue1:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
IMO correcting the term 'tag axle' is rather like correcting someone's grammar in a post - and we all know that's in direct contravention of Rule 1. :Tongue1:

i dont mind being corrected or having my mistakes pointed out - i am a novice and trying to learn about this area and these vehicles. I have only 1 go at this to get this right at the outset - so i need to make sure i have enough info to make an informed decision.

I have no problem asking questions and questioning what i am told (as you may have gathered!). If someone wants to point out technical errors, thats okay, i can take it all onboard.

I'd rather be corrected than ill informed:thumb:.

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time

Before Jim wields his ban hammer,
I would just like to say Its been great knowing you all :thumb:

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
i dont mind being corrected

You might not but I do in the context of a thread where those of us who actually drive 3-axled vans are trying to be helpful. The vast majority of dealers and motorhomers will use the term 'tag', as I'm sure duane0001 knows. :RollEyes: No dealer is going to get all precious and refuse to sell you a van unless you refer to it and all its components in absolutely technically-correct terminology. ::bigsmile:

There have been several previous threads going over this old chestnut of when is a tag axle not a tag axle ..........

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The twin rear axle units have, or appear to have, more room, better layouts (for me) e.g fixed rear bed, dinette AND lounge - full timing, so i want more space - then we have the weight issue. These are plated higher 4.5-5k kgs ( I am 47 btw so my license is fine)
You are absolutely right Deckard, and we all knew what you meant, and were enquiring about.

Maz (Marian) fulltime's in her twin axle MH, Forestboy (Rory & Jan) have spent months in theirs, and I would like to spend months away in ours too, however, I just have to convince the lovely Rita, that she needs to spend more time with me on the road, rather than working for a High Street retailer. :roflmto:

Seen anything you like yet?

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I have spent the day travelling round visiting a few dealers, seeing whats about.

I wanted spcifically to view the kon-tiki and the Hobby 750.

The hobby 750 @20K was a dog - sadly abused vehicle, everything was broken, taps, shower door, various hinges n catches - it had been drilled full of holes too. I had midlew in the mattress and in the head lining - smelt damp too. :Eeek:

THe kon-tiki i saw was much newer than the hobby and @30k needing me to save some more too, but this also had seen a good kicking in its shorter life than the hobby.

I am not expecting showroom condition on a 10-15-18 year old vehicle - but blimey some people treat their stuff badly.....:whatthe:

I guess its going to be a good long search process to find the right one. :Sad:

I did look at some single axle units but i am just not sure i can get everything in them. Which its also worth noting, someone made some comments about the garage - or lack thereof on the 750 - they were right, i think a garage is going to be a "must", so the 750 is off the shortlist.

This could be a long search........

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Which its also worth noting, someone made some comments about the garage - or lack thereof on the 750 - they were right, i think a garage is going to be a "must", so the 750 is off the shortlist.

Hobby 750/700 come in different layouts. Mine is an FLC, someone else on here has an ELC I think. Don't know the codes for the older Hobby vans but here is an '05 700 with a garage.

187_2008111112.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Hobby 750/700 come in different layouts. Mine is an FLC, someone else on here has an ELC I think. Don't know the codes for the older Hobby vans but here is an '05 700 with a garage.

187_2008111112.jpg

aaaah ..interesting (you can tell i am a noob!) - so is the ELC a fixed rear bed with a garage?

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
aaaah ..interesting (you can tell i am a noob!) - so is the ELC a fixed rear bed with a garage?

Don't think so - I think it might have two single beds.

Ok - I've just looked in the 2011 Hobby Brochure. They don't seem to do a 750 with a garage, only the 690 which is a shorter van. You can download the brochure from here if you want to have a look: Link Removed

I know you are looking for an older van than this but it might give you an idea of layouts. It might be difficult finding older Hobby brochures on the web but they're probably out there somewhere. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back