TAG Axle MH's

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Deckard, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

JUst reading through another post about the pro's and cons of coachbuilt vs A-Class - very valuable (and varied!) opinions - useful stuff....

...i want to pick your collective brains on the benefits of TAG axled vans....I did have another post on about this but i put an example add which i think means it was taken down (ooops sorry :Blush: )

I am planning to live 3-4 days a week on a site, so i can work, then either go back to base or head off to the lakes and scotland for longweekends. I plan to spend at least a month in europe each year.

I have weighed up the options, read this site pretty extensively before joining :thumb:

A rear fixed bed is essential, seperate shower preferred, a decent lounge, just a dinette area isnt big enough - having been to a few dealers and checked them out.

I feel like the TAG option gives me more capacity (weight and space), giving I will be living in it a lot, so will need more "stuff" (food, clothes, portable washing machine, etc)

Budget is circa £20k

I like the Hobby 750 and the Hymer 710 (?) - any other suggestions I could look at?
    Any known issues? (i know the hobby units had some paint issues)
    Any drawbacks to having a 7m+ van? (I know it wont be as nimble!)

I am trying to find out the stuff you only find 2 months after buying and think - dang if i'd only known....!!

Appreciate the feedback :thumb:

2. maz

maz Funster

No, the thread is still there: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/63908-absolute-beginner.html

I answered a few of your points about Tags. Think maybe you asked too many questions in one post to get the replies you wanted tho'. Funsters tend to have limited attention spans! :BigGrin:

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

A tag axle gives you a higher payload by increasing the GVW, but this is deducted from the weight you can tow as the train weight doesn't change. This only matters if you are thinking of towing a toad or trailer of course.

Many sites especially in France do not allow tag axle trailer caravans, and I have been told (but not seen it myself) that some extend this to tag axle motorhomes.

Front wheel drive motorhomes with tag axles are even worse on mud than single axle ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I think the Hobby is a good idea, but I think you should be thinking about a garage ie fixed bed over garage as IMO the hobbies storage is not as good as it could be. however, I know someone who fulltimes in a hobby and isn't complaining.

Also, dont get wrapped up in the tag axle thing, Merc's can have similar payloads but they are not all tag axle. If your going to be spending so much time in it, I would think that a good lounging area should be considered and not just a dinette area as this can appear quite cramped.

Have you considered a Rapido? Pilote? Autotrail chieftan, Kontiki 669?

There are many other's to consider. :thumb:

just remember, everything is about comprimise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. maz

maz Funster

And if it's a tag axle Hobby then prepare to be hounded everywhere you go! :Wink:

And yet who was it that drove their FWD tag off the field unaided at last year's Peterborough mud-fest, when the vast majority had to be towed off by a tractor? :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Deckard

7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

8. Deckard

Also, dont get wrapped up in the tag axle thing, M[HI]erc's can have similar payloads but they are not all tag axle[/HI]. If your going to be spending so much time in it, I would think that a good lounging area should be considered and not just a dinette area as this can appear quite cramped.

Have you considered [HI]a Rapido? Pilote? Autotrail chieftan, Kontiki 669? [/HI]

.[/QUOTE]

Hmm guess i havent been checking on the cabs too much - i'll be looking again...

I'd decided on the TAG axle as they all offer better space inside...eg. a decent lounge + dinette area.

As for the other makes you list, some of the "Big" vans get pricey real fast....and the ones i have been to look at my price point have looked "rough" and in need of more work than i want to take on.....Pilote have some nice looking ones, just not found any around my price range in the right layout.

There are lots of Kontikis for sale - wondering why - they have issues? I found a few things in forums but nothing serious...??

Also (yeah i know - more questions) I was looking for "low line"/coach in the (misguided) belief that the highline design would use more fuel....??

9. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We imported, A new, (with the help of a friend), a Tag axle Hobby 760 FMS.... did more miles in that towing a car on a trailer than any M/H or RV we have had since...

Build quality is fantastic, Road holding is superb, no sway in the wind... Short`ish overhang..

All in all I love em... :thumb:

Only down side,,,, Hobby hold there price reasonably well... :thumb:

10. maz

maz Funster

Depends on what you want to carry with you. If it's big and bulky then probably you do need a garage van. My previous van had a high bed over a garage. I found I just used to pile stuff into it (some of which I didn't really need - clutter expands to fill the available space, sort of thing) but it wasn't accessible from inside the van so I was in and out like a fiddler's elbow. :RollEyes:

Now my Hobby (fixed French bed) has a reasonable amount of under-bed storage (which is also accessible from inside the van) and it also has an excellent number of overhead lockers. Add to these a full-height wardrobe plus another full-height cupboard all kitted out with shelves and I'd say the storage was pretty damn good! :BigGrin:

11. maz

maz Funster

Probably 'cos they are British (Swift) and so are in the UK in large numbers to start with, like AutoTrails. No doubt they are fine if you only want to use them for the touring season. However if you want to live in one all year round in the UK you need to be looking at fully winterised vans, which tend to be German.

Not misguided at all, as the more aerodynamic (low profile) the beastie the lower its fuel consumption (all other things being equal). Some coachbuilts are about as aerodynamic as a house brick on wheels. :RollEyes:

12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I loved my Tag Eura Mobil. Just over 1,000 KG payload. Double floor so loads of storage. I did miss the garage a bit at first.

But the build quality was second to none. Very impress.

13. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've had a tag axle Hymer for nearly two and half years now done 20000 miles all over Europe winter and summer including skiing at 10000ft and minus 25c temps. Double floor with underfloor heating, big lounge, massive bathroom and shower, fixed rear bed, loads of storage and over 1 tonne payload a huge garage which carries our 650 Kawasaki plus all the other stuff. We lived in it for 6 months when we sold our house and regularly spend 3 months away travelling. At 25ft its short enough to go anywhere and has a very short overhang so is very manouverable. As for being turned away from sites another urban myth I'm afraid we've stayed on hundreds of sites and never been refused nor do we have a condensation problem and as I said we use it all year round we just use a set of external screens in winter.
    We love ours and we downsized from a huge American RV and have no regrets its so much better built and can be used in any weather.
    If we were going to change it would only ever be a German A class, I'm afraid nothing else comes close for all year round use.
    Some great vans out there at around 8/10 years old and far better built and value than a 4/5 year old one. Good luck with your search:thumb:

14. Deckard

Thanks for all the feedback - i feel a little more reassured I am going along the right path and getting my head "into" this MH thing :thumb:

I doubt my budget is going to stretch to anything in single figure age, £20k isnt a lot in this game - that i have figured!

In looking at an older van, other than the obvious mechanical - service history etc, what should i look for? I plan to look in every locker, opening and drawer....:Rofl1:...just not sure what I am looking for in there!

I assume damp is easy enough to spot?

My biggest worry is the er...amateur DIY enthusiast....what should i look out for?

15. Hobby

Hobby Deleted User

Viva The Tag Axle!

:RollEyes: Needless to say, I have a Tag Axle Hobby 750 FML.... with 6 extremely good disk brakes to stop me in emergency. (Used once only thank goodness).
    It has the AlKo Air suspension and is far superior to the Merc Spring Suspension system designed for light trucks. :Rofl1:
    We have had ours for about 8 years now since new and would be hard pressed to get a better replacement - believe me wwe have looked!
    It is a very roomy van with 2 wardrobes big fridge-freezer etc and have carried 10 people for some distance too. :thumb:

16. jezport

jezport Funster

Sorry but you are wrong FWD Tag axles are better on wet and mud than 2 axle vans. I have had both and found the tag moves where my 2 axle van would stick.

I have also got a friend who travels in France in a tag and has never had a site refuse hmm entry.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

with reference to your other thread.....

I see a lot of people replacing timing belts with very low mileages - i had a diesel van that did 90K before it needed such things??

just one reason for this......age !!!

the belt will deteriorate due to age even though the mileage may be extremely low.

the average belt change is 4 to 5 years or around 80000 miles...whichever comes first.

unless there is documented, date and mileage, proof its been changed its always advisable to have it changed for piece of mind if nothing else.

inadvisable to ignore this time/mileage interval as a routine belt change may cost around £300......but a cylinder head rebuild and possibly a couple of new pistons when, not if but when, it breaks may set you back around £1300.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Absolutely very good advice:thumb::thumb:

19. Deckard

thanks for that - obvious now you point it out :)

20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Deckard,

Like Rory & Jan (Forestboy), Rita and I love our 14 year old tandem axle Hymer. It's a fixed rear bed model with a half garage underneath. In the last 8 x years of ownership, we haven't seen another layout that we would like to swap it for...................even if we could afford to.
    With a budget of £20K and German quality build, you'll be looking at something around 18 to 20 years old, but hopefully pre-loved.
    The tandem/tag axle thing is not a problem, as tyre scrub when turning is minimal, and they will more than likely age, before they wear out. We too have never been turned away because of the axle configuration, and have managed to exit from soft ground, where single axle FWD MHs have got stuck.

With regards to extra toll fees on the French Peage, due to dimensions and axle configuration, we just use the auto toll booths, use the intercom facility, and politely insist that we are a "camping car". :Wink: However, we prefer to avoid the Peage if time constraints allow.

Good luck with your search,

Jock & Rita.