JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Just been chatting to a mate of mine who has today been on the new Tacho course. He says the new tacho is being rolled out for lorries very soon. It has GPS and SatNav incorporated and records every move you make, including speeds travelled through speed restricted areas. He says VOSA will be able to download anyone's tacho at any time...Big Brother for sure..scary or what.
He also said that tachos are being rolled out into Motorhomes in the near future, as well as down to Transit Van size, though i did not ask what size of motorhome of whether it will be for new ones only as it would be difficult to retrofit I would think.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I thought tachos were only for vehicles that are for hire or reward?
Use to know a chap who had to put one in his Land Cruiser as he used to hire and deliver roll-along cabins out.
A mate who has a plant hire company has to run his Ford Transit beaver tail with a tacho so seems to be not based on large wagons?

I suppose they could have put them in hire Motorhomes.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What would be the point?

Unless you're driving commercially there are no restrictions on driving hours so a tacho would serve no useful purpose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was told you only use taco on smaller vehicles, Transits etc, if you travel outside a certain radius from base.

But the rules may have changed.

Reactions: JaG

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It has been spoken about but they have to work out what to do about say a plumber driving a transit to work etc. What they are after is ones like east European sprinter with a sleeping pod on top of the cab who can drive day and night non stop with no checks. Think it will be a while yet.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I was told you only use taco on smaller vehicles, Transits etc, if you travel outside a certain radius from base.

AFAIK transits and the like have never been subjected to the tacho laws

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

However, irrespective of size, if a tacho is fitted, it must be used.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unless you're driving commercially there are no restrictions on driving hours so a tacho would serve no useful purpose.

Governments all over must be gagging to get such devices into as many vehicles as possible. Think of security implications. Think of law enforcement implications. It really does not bear thinking about but sure as hell it will happen.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No but pretty positive if non commercial

There are a surprising amount of exemptions even with a taco fitted.

I used to use a reasonable sized trailer for work a few years ago and had to look into the regs.
Provided I stayed within a certain radius I didn't need to use one :)

It could of proved expensive :eek:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
For 3.5 tonne vehicles fitted with a towing hitch and used commercialy it must have a tacho fitted, if you are not towing the tacho must be set to out of scope, this is done through a menu option. There are many exemptions to EU rules regarding tachos and drivers hours one someone alluded to earlier is breakdown vehicles travelling within 100km radius of there base, these do not need a tacho likewise someone hiring a 7.5 tonne box van to move house is not required to use the tacho unless they are being paid to do it for someone else when of course it becomes commercial. You can find more information on exemptions here https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law but remember currently tachos are required for commercial vehicles only.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The remote access to the tachos has been around for a while. They were discussed when I did my CPC training course in 2015. I think it is a great idea.
It means VOSA can check every drivers hours as they are passing a check point rather than just pulling a selection in. Combine this with the WIMs stations to catch overloaded/dangerous vehicles I think it is great.

The WIMs (Weigh in Motion) are scales that check a vehicles weight as it passes over and even does per axle checks (y)

The two technologies combined will help take a lot of dangerous drivers and vehicles off the road. It won't be luck any more whether you get away with it or not.

I don't have any problems with this at all. If you obey the law you won't get into trouble.

I already have my Tacho Card so even if they make us all use them I don't see the problem. You have 9 hours drive time a day which can be extended to 10 hours twice a week from memory and you must take specific rest days each week. I doubt very much that any of us motorhomers get any where near the weekly hours. However it would stop some of the crazy long 18 hour drive sessions I hear some people do...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: It also means that people who obey the laws, ie drive within their hours and are within weight limits won't be stopped unnecessarily.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The remote access to the tachos has been around for a while. They were discussed when I did my CPC training course in 2015. I think it is a great idea.
It means VOSA can check every drivers hours as they are passing a check point rather than just pulling a selection in. Combine this with the WIMs stations to catch overloaded/dangerous vehicles I think it is great.

The WIMs (Weigh in Motion) are scales that check a vehicles weight as it passes over and even does per axle checks (y)

The two technologies combined will help take a lot of dangerous drivers and vehicles off the road. It won't be luck any more whether you get away with it or not.

I don't have any problems with this at all. If you obey the law you won't get into trouble.

I already have my Tacho Card so even if they make us all use them I don't see the problem. You have 9 hours drive time a day which can be extended to 10 hours twice a week from memory and you must take specific rest days each week. I doubt very much that any of us motorhomers get any where near the weekly hours. However it would stop some of the crazy long 18 hour drive sessions I hear some people do...
I certainly hope the WIM's work better than other designs as, depending on speed, they can appear under weight if speeding but I'm sure that'll get sorted.
The remote access will only apply to vehicles fitted with the newer tachograph. Recently I've been on tachograph discs.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
PS: It also means that people who obey the laws, ie drive within their hours and are within weight limits won't be stopped unnecessarily.

Plus, that also assumes the driver and driver card match particularly foreign vehicles

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
It wouldn't bother me at all, driving four hours a day is more than enough for me.
Does that mean they would know where you are --- even if it was nicked?
Good point that. If they can download from any vehicle at any time, which apparantly they are going to be able to, then they will be able to track and find any stolen vehicle. Now that would be a positive, especially for motorhomes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I certainly hope the WIM's work better than other designs as, depending on speed, they can appear under weight if speeding but I'm sure that'll get sorted.
The remote access will only apply to vehicles fitted with the newer tachograph. Recently I've been on tachograph discs.
The WIMs system proved to be extremely accurate.
http://www.transportsfriend.org/enforcement/wims.html

As for tachograph discs, they are dying out quite quickly I have heard. It will take about 10 years for the new ones to become prevalent I think.

Plus, that also assumes the driver and driver card match particularly foreign vehicles
Yes, that is true but the new system I believe allows VOSA to flag vehicles that have surpassed drivers hours. They can then check to see if the vehicle has 2 drivers in it. If not they can flag it as suspected of being driven by a driver with 2 cards.. Not fool proof but still an improvement on the old disk tachos.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As for tachograph discs, they are dying out quite quickly I have heard. It will take about 10 years for the new ones to become prevalent I think
They are but more older vehicles are being sought by cowboys.
The one I drive is the boss's pride and joy

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are but more older vehicles are being sought by cowboys.
The one I drive is the boss's pride and joy
They will probably become the target of VOSA then. Any vehicle with a paper disk will become more popular with VOSA as they become more popular with cowboys.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I cant see them ever being rolled out to motorhomes for leisure use.

Who are the largest producers and users of Mhs -The Germans. If they dont want it the EU wont have it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back