Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Sorry for another thread on mini computermabob thingys:RollEyes:

we want something to access net and emails but also has word processor
(word), not bothered about apps (we know where the sky is, we don't like Mc D's and we don't use trains::bigsmile:)

any suggestions please?

Cheers
2dogs

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but also has word processor
(word),
2dogs

Much as I like tablets, for typing on screen they are not good.

So an ASUS transformer with keyboard or any other decent Android, of which there are many, with a bluetooth keyboard.

They all come with a office type suit.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
agree with Brian lovel the tablet but its pity poor for typing so if thats important get one that can have a keyboard option.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Brian,

to be honest I haven't got a clue on the things but the better half would like word? I didn't realize the come with it:Doh:
the less I do when away the better, I'd rather use my fingers for wine than type::bigsmile:

Will take a look thanks

Cheers
2dogs

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks for the reply Phill, you sneaked in there while I was typing with a glass in my hand,

I just can't multi-task::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a wireless keyboard and Mouse for the iPad. Works a treat. :thumb::thumb:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks Brian,

to be honest I haven't got a clue on the things but the better half would like word? I didn't realize the come with it:Doh:
the less I do when away the better, I'd rather use my fingers for wine than type::bigsmile:

Will take a look thanks

Cheers
2dogs

Just keep taking them :)

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We have a couple of netbooks which are fine if we have a wifi signal nearby we can get onto.
Also have a Commtiva N700 tablet which picks up Wifi for internet use and has a Simcard slot which (if you get one unlocked) takes a phone sim card.

We take the sim from the phone and put it into the Commtiva as its a phone tablet anyway, and we get internet ect.
You can use it as a book reader,phone,internet,games (if you want) and the usual million of apps if you want.

I/pads are clever but they would be better if they had the sim card facillity.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Much as I like tablets, for typing on screen they are not good.

So an ASUS transformer with keyboard or any other decent Android, of which there are many, with a bluetooth keyboard.

They all come with a office type suit.

I wonder how long the Transformers will last now that Asus are producing the Vivobook range which will run a proper office suite under Windows 8 rather than a "type" suite? I see Currys/PC World no longer stock them.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Most of the reviews I've watched/read on the Vivobook give the screen a thumbs down. This would stop me buying it as it renders it useless for use outside in bright conditions - not that we see that much in Wales :)

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wonder how long the Transformers will last now that Asus are producing the Vivobook range

Didn't know it existed, the one I saw reviewed is just a touch screen laptop so not a direct competitor to the Transformer. I have seen the Microsoft adverts featuring transformers big time.

I really can't get my head around a touch screen laptop. Why go to the expense of a finger marked touch screen when we know the conventional layout works so well for a keyboard equipped device.

It seems to me that Microsoft is in a blind panic to maintain it's position and is tossing all sorts of gizomos into the air to see which might fly and help stem the Android tide.

Meanwhile I'm typing here on Windows XP SP3, it's as solid as a rock, does everything I need fast. At the moment I've 4 XP machines and a Vista laptop. Vista has never troubled me and that has done some serious on site work programming embedded controlers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most of the reviews I've watched/read on the Vivobook give the screen a thumbs down. This would stop me buying it as it renders it useless for use outside in bright conditions - not that we see that much in Wales :)

Lots of screens are fairly useless outside in bright conditions - which is why e-readers use a different technology.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Didn't know it existed, the one I saw reviewed is just a touch screen laptop so not a direct competitor to the Transformer. I have seen the Microsoft adverts featuring transformers big time.

I really can't get my head around a touch screen laptop. Why go to the expense of a finger marked touch screen when we know the conventional layout works so well for a keyboard equipped device.

It seems to me that Microsoft is in a blind panic to maintain it's position and is tossing all sorts of gizomos into the air to see which might fly and help stem the Android tide.

Meanwhile I'm typing here on Windows XP SP3, it's as solid as a rock, does everything I need fast. At the moment I've 4 XP machines and a Vista laptop. Vista has never troubled me and that has done some serious on site work programming embedded controlers.
Yes, the Vivobook is different from the Transformer but so is Windows 8 different from Android. Transformers seem to be in short supply at the moment so I just wonder if Asus is going to dump them.

There only seem to be a few convertible laptops around and they are rather expensive compared to netbooks, (conventional) laptops and tablets (for which cheap Bluetooth keyboards are available). I can't see the attraction either.

I still tend to regard my Samsung Galaxy Tab as a toy and take a netbook (Win 7 32 bit) with us in the van as well because I sometimes need to use Windows software. I'm using a Win 8 laptop at home now (bought just after Christmas) and it is a lot faster (especially to boot up) than either XP or 7 (both 32 & 64 bit) so the Vivobook looks attractive to replace the netbook.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I still tend to regard my Samsung Galaxy Tab as a toy and take a netbook

I have to do the same, they have quite different incapabilities, he says stating the obvious.

The serious difference is for use as photo backup and IO. Now slip some decent storage in a tablet and that would start to really confuse things.

Tablet with 1TB of storage, full spec USB port and a bluetooth keyboard with scratchpad, full day battery. Is this in the in multitude of new Microsoft attempts at world domination ?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, the Vivobook is different from the Transformer but so is Windows 8 different from Android. Transformers seem to be in short supply at the moment so I just wonder if Asus is going to dump them.

They're making things confusing by coming out with a "Transformer Book" that runs Windows 8.

I like my little ASUS netbook (Windows 7 32-bit). It does the job and the battery life is excellent. I'm worried that in the future my only options will be expensive (and possibly fragile) ultrabooks, cheap laptops that are too big, or expensive tablets because the cheaper Android/iOS/Windows (Surface/8) RT ones won't run the software I need :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They're making things confusing by coming out with a "Transformer Book" that runs Windows 8.
Now that's just being spiteful :roflmto::roflmto:
I like my little ASUS netbook (Windows 7 32-bit). It does the job and the battery life is excellent. I'm worried that in the future my only options will be expensive (and possibly fragile) ultrabooks, cheap laptops that are too big, or expensive tablets because the cheaper Android/iOS/Windows (Surface/8) RT ones won't run the software I need :Sad:

My netbook is also an Asus - Eee PC 1011PX. It's OK but no better than the Acer Aspire One which it replaced. Indeed Windows 7 32-bit seems to run on it a bit slower than XP did on the Acer (even though I doubled the RAM to 2GB). Never mind, it's only money ::bigsmile:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Erm, they do! iPads are available with or without 3G. My 64Gig has one, and I use a Samba sim card in it, but at almost £700 :Eeek: with a case they are quite expensive:Eeek:

Ok we are corrected..:cry:

Thought they did not , but not really looked at them all. And as you say £700 is a lot of savings.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Now i am getting to grips with my asus tf300t transformer pad, i think its great, and is supposed to give 15hrs of battery use between charges, have to admit i have give it some hammer over the last couple of days trying to sort the things i want on it, and am only just giving it its first recharge

bailys dad

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we have several way of entering internet, we need internet daily for business ..
iphone sim only deal this the wifes .me samsung 3 plus tethering to tab also have brought from curry 3mobile dogal wifi pay as you go ,just aplied to have unblocked use any sim then home our abroard,,can now use lap top power up through small inverter

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks all for the replies but this is getting beyond me.

More techy bits at work than you can shake a cow at but I like to leave it all at the front gate when I leave:thumb:

I have a moblile .... black+grey, only 1 ring tone, no camera, never tried the games?? normally £10 for 3+ months use payg, robust (did throw it at a magpie once, 20+ yards, no damage).

Might just try a Galaxy with keyboard.

Thanks all again.

Cheers
2dogs

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
expensive indeed

I use a Samba sim card in it, but at almost £700 :Eeek: with a case they are quite expensive:Eeek:

That's a hell of a price for a card. I shop at Clintons and don't pay anything like that even though I love her very much:Cool: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Clintons:Eeek::Eeek:, way tooo much for my loved one,

I draw my own:thumb: ... more personal::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Clintons:Eeek::Eeek:, way tooo much for my loved one,

[HI]I draw my own:thumb: ... more personal::bigsmile:[/HI]

Cheers
2dogs
Then the only tablet for you has got to be the Galaxy NOTE 10.1. Can make a weekend doodler into an arteest. 1000 different screen pressure options. a palate of every colour, type of brush pen pencil highlighter and eraser that would make your wife so proud.:lovewait: Clintons eat your heart out, I draw my own cards with my Note 10.1 using jelly bean operating system. You know it makes sense.:youbetcha:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Then the only tablet for you has got to be the Galaxy NOTE 10.1. Can make a weekend doodler into an arteest. 1000 different screen pressure options. a palate of every colour, type of brush pen pencil highlighter and eraser that would make your wife so proud.:lovewait: Clintons eat your heart out, I draw my own cards with my Note 10.1 using jelly bean operating system. You know it makes sense.:youbetcha:

KISS ... :winky:

never lets me down, needs no battery, charging, updating, ... cheap as chips.. :thumb:
pen-and-paper-600x400.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tablets

Hello to both dogs,

We always take the iPhone and the iPad with us on our trips as they are great for uploading on Facebook etc and quite small items.....and I have never found the virtual keyboard to be a problem on the iPad, but that is just my personal view. However, on our recent trip to Morocco I wished I had taken our Netbook! When we got over there the tour leader had arranged for group members to rent a dongle for the length of the trip (1 month) and everyone wanted one at a mere €15. Sadly, they were of course USB connected, and IPads don't do USB so we had to scratch around for whatever wifi hotspots we could find, also using the occasional paid wifi on campsites. I still favour the iPad, but in future will also take the small Netbook too.

Cheers, Gary ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back