Tablets v Liquid (toilet cassette) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we go to some remote parts of Scotland where the blue / green stuff is banned and haven't used it for years, we often don't bother with anything added at all

but when we do we use NON Bio, not really sure if it makes any difference, just sounds more friendly but should we be using BIO not NON BIO?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bio washing stuff is not very green, in the sense you shouldn't use it heavily if you have a septic tank. I believe it kills off the bugs you want in a septic tank which is why it probably keeps the smells at bay in a toilet cassette.

And no, in my experience it doesn't break up the "lumps" but as it smells fine this isn't an issue with me.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Currently touring Scotland we thought that we would try the bio washing liquid method just as an experiment . Not impressed since ended up with pot full of brown silage ! Used plenty as well ...might try again in an emergency but up till then it will be the proper blue stuff never mind the cost .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Always used blue but hearing that it is not good for septic tanks has persuaded me to try the bio wash stuff when I run out!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
cat litter is your friend if you experience this or the cassette leaks. soaks it up and kills the smell

That is an excellent tip thank you!

Damn stuff gets everywhere and starts a stink in no time!

Had to dismantle the toilet completely and clean everything!

All because I didn't lock the cassette completely back in place after emptying!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi

Currently touring Scotland we thought that we would try the bio washing liquid method just as an experiment . Not impressed since ended up with pot full of brown silage ! Used plenty as well ...might try again in an emergency but up till then it will be the proper blue stuff never mind the cost .
How often do you empty your 'pot' :Eeek::Eeek: Just used the Bio liquid on a three week trip, emptying every second or third day, no brown silage!
Could it be it was 'silage' (if you get my meaning), on 'insertion'? I only used one capful, that seemed plenty in achieving the desire effect, namely no smells.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Simple answer is to make an excuse to pop and see your mate in his motorhome and have a good old dump and clear out in their toilet :clap2:

To counter their initial shock simply compliment them on the sweet smell that the Non Bio gives off, tell them you brought your own RV toilet liner and that the pan has remained all sparkly clean and shiny :party2:

Could always chance your luck on the way in and blag a bacon buttie and brew too, but only after washing your hands you understand - result ::bigsmile::rofl:

It's been a while since we posted this, so what better thread to resurrect on :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi

Did your pot smell? The bio liquids that we have use breakdowns the lumps of no. 2s and rarely smells. Perfect for our needs.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

How often do you empty your 'pot' :Eeek::Eeek: Just used the Bio liquid on a three week trip, emptying every second or third day, no brown silage!
Could it be it was 'silage' (if you get my meaning), on 'insertion'? I only used one capful, that seemed plenty in achieving the desire effect, namely no smells.

We pretty much empty every other day when we can . This time the volume of the contents was no different ....only more smelly than usual . The stuff we experimented with was Lidl bio liquid .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi

We pretty much empty every other day when we can . This time the volume of the contents was no different ....only more smelly than usual . The stuff we experimented with was Lidl bio liquid .
We used Sainsbury's....Worked so well I wont go back to blue.....it always worried me anyway, in case it 'escaped'.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have had a few mishaps with toilet blue over the years. worst being a bottle that split in the garage. the concrete is still stained years later. or the caravan gas locker stained blue inside. then you have the blue fingers if the wind blows hard when pouring. nah not a pleasant chemical cocktail to carry in the van

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
We have always used cheap bio sachets, two per cassette does it for us Pound shop specials .

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Tried the bio liquid, but didn't think it was as good as the proper stuff, so back using elsan

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Bio washing stuff is not very green, in the sense you shouldn't use it heavily if you have a septic tank. I believe it kills off the bugs you want in a septic tank which is why it probably keeps the smells at bay in a toilet cassette.

And no, in my experience it doesn't break up the "lumps" but as it smells fine this isn't an issue with me.
Sodium percarbonate (is that what you people call "bio washing stuff"?) is an oxygenator and is perfectly "green".
Adding oxygen is the way sewerage is treated commercially and it is also absolutely fine for septic tanks.

Cheers,
Peter

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sodium percarbonate (is that what you people call "bio washing stuff"?) is an oxygenator and is perfectly "green".
Adding oxygen is the way sewerage is treated commercially and it is also absolutely fine for septic tanks.

Cheers,
Peter
It's the enzymes in the stuff which kills the bugs I believe, it's not a simple chemical. The enzymes are in there to attack stains but they also kill or inhibit bacteria. By killing the bugs it prevents them generating the smells, which is why it is good in toilet cassettes but, except in moderation, not in septic tanks.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's a long time since I did organic chemistry & I don't remember that we ever got as far as enzymes, but from what I remember:-

The older formaldehyde based fluids & similar work as a preservative. They kill all bugs & stop any changes happening. They mask the smell & add blue colouring so when you pour it out, you aren't reminded quite so forcefully what it really is!

The newer enzyme based chemicals encourage the bugs that work in the presence of oxygen & by overwhelming them, discourage those that work without oxygen. This is a similar effect to a sewage farm, so you get a mini-sewage works in your cassette. It's the bugs that work without oxygen that produce the really nasty smells.

The bio-wash powders & liquids work the same way, but because they are designed for clothes rather than the more extreme conditions in your cassette, they don't have quite so much added perfume to mask any remaining smell, nor do they have any added dye to change the colour. The enzyme action, if it has had time to work will have stopped a lot of the smell, but what you pour out will still look a pretty unpleasant colour! You can't kid yourself it's not liquidised sh*t, which you can to some extent when it comes out all blue.

Others with better knowledge of the chemistry involved may be able to correct any misconceptions I may have.

Reactions: DBK

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Enzymes are catalysts and are not 'consumed' by the reactions they promote.
Sodium percarbonate is consumed as it does its job.
............not that it matters..........the important thing is that it works extremely well, it is green and it is cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

"As an oxidizing agent, sodium percarbonate is an ingredient in a number of home and laundry cleaning products, including non-chlorine bleach products such as OxiClean, Tide laundry detergent,[1] and Vanish.[5] Dissolved in water, it yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen) and sodium carbonate ("soda ash").[1]"

Cheers,
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back