Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
can any of you funsters help me out.
I am thinking of buying a tabletop freezer and running this off an inverter while travelling. Can I also run my 3 way fridge off the 12 volt battery at the same time. The inverter would be wired up to 2 110amp Leisure batteries.
When I am on site I would revert to running the appliances off the site electrics.
As you may guess I know nowt about electrics.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
1) On many (most?) conversions the leisure electrics are cut off when the engine is running. Thus, your inverter would not be able to draw power from the leisure batteries. 12 volt power to keep the fridge cold whilst travelling comes from the engine battery. So, you would have to plug your inverter into a lighter/power socket in the cab. Would that be practical?

2) Do you really need a freezer? It's worth thinking about whether it is more practical to buy food more often, especially given the cost.

3) Would the weight of a freezer (and its contents) eat into your payload too much?

4) Would the bulk of a freezer make it impractical?

We only have a tiny freezer compartment in our fridge but haven't encountered a problem in just over 5 years usage.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Graham makes some good points ..

Technically it can be done, the inverter would need to be close to and wired directly to the leisure batteries and a 230v supply cable run to a socket for the freezer.

my question .. what do you do when for whatever reason you have no site electrics.. will you also carry a genny as back up ?

Frankly, if you really need more freezer capacity I would save up and buy a 3 way chest freezer .. less hassle and all eventualities covered..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back