Tablet (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi , I'm still looking for a tabler for my good lady. It has to have usb port/s , must be able to use word or similar. Ususal email stuff etc. But she doesn't want an Ipad. I thought it would be simple and get her one of those. Nae luck. Any suggestions please?:Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1. Make sure you get one with a "Capacitive" screen Not "resistive"... Cap is the same as ipad and a lot more responsive.
2. Wait for advise off others because it's a minefield, you get what you pay for so dont buy to cheap.. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought cheap, Curry's advent vega, as I was tight and did not want to pay for an ipad.
Finally bit the bullet last year and splashed out on the ipad2.. LOVE IT TO BITS..:thumb:

May be best to list the things that you want it to do and then see what fits the bill.

ie.. What are you going to do with the USB port,?? remember they dont work like a PC and you cant download device drivers, ie you cant use wifi extenders or other accessories that need to use a driver.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Most non-ipad tablets run android as their operating system and they won't run word, outlook etc. They are also a pain the arse to get to print.

The asus e-pad has an optional keyboard that attaches and has a usb port.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have the Asus Transformer TF101 tablet and now have the optional keyboard/dockstation as well. Android won't run Word/Excel etc but you can run OpenOffice which I prefer anyway and will do everything that Microsoft Office can do and a bit more besides. The keyboard is more than just a keyboard though as it adds extra battery capacity giving up to 16 hours use on one charge, it also adds two USB2 sockets and a SD card reader. I have Photoshop express on mine which was a free download and allows for simple basic image editing. Its also great for internet browsing, music download/storage/playback. You can plug a USB2 hard drive into it with the keyboard and extend storage capacity or you can use micro SD on the tab itself, SD on the keyboard or USB pen drives to add storage capacity. The tab also has HDMI output so if you can put films/programmes onto a memory device you can then use the tab to play them back to a HD capable TV. It doesn't have a SIM card so you need a WiFi or bluetooth capable internet access device, I use my HTC desire HD phone as a portable WiFi hotspot and mostly it works well. Its not a cheap solution but if you keep an eye on Ebay and Amazon you can pick up a tab and keyboard from around £300.

D.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi

There is an app for iPad called documents to go. You can create Word and Excel documents.

You also download a copy to your laptop and sync documents.

Really good app but it does cost about £6.99 as far as I remember works really well. You can save PDF files to it.
Check it out.

Unfortunately no USB port.:cry:

Lesley

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi , I'm still looking for a tabler for my good lady. It has to have usb port/s , must be able to use word or similar. Ususal email stuff etc. But she doesn't want an Ipad. I thought it would be simple and get her one of those. Nae luck. Any suggestions please?:Smile:

I have an iPad and have paid for Pages (Word) and Numbers (Excel) that work fine. I also believe that you can now get a gadget to plug in that supports a sd card and possibly a memory stick ( this may be USB)
Great piece of kit!

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with a keyboard that it drops into to make it like a laptop. I too was worried about no USB but I now realise, having used the thing, that there is no need for it and no point as the operating system on a tablet, whether apple or android, is different. You get any app you need directly from the internet.
I love the tab and find android very easy to use but when I see an ipad I still feel a pang of longing. :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sorry I lied in my previous posting, its not OpenOffice I have on the tablet its Polaris Office, almost as good and certainly good enough for my needs. I have OpenOffice on my old Windoze laptop. Sorry ofr any confusion caused.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back