TABLET TO TV

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Clever Claire, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Help!! I'm sure there are loads of you that do what we want to. Downoad free movies from Amazon Prime to your tablet, in this case a Fire 10 hd, then mirror them on the van tv and watch in comfort. We have tried connecting to the tv (Avtex) with usb lead and the tv seems to want to cooperate as the correct screen comes up which tells us it cannot find the device. What are we doing wrong or is it another one of Amazons litle tricks to thwart you. Thanks.

2. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I don't think you can [easily] connect a TV to a Tablet via USB.
    USB is usually for memory sticks & then some TV's can be very fussy what video formats they will play.
    Does your Amazon Tablet have a HDMI socket?
    If so that will be easy - the right cable, connect the two & change the source input on TV
    If not, you'll need a "dongle", an adapter to plug into the USB socket on the tablet, then a HDMI from that to TV

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi, have a look at this link info, there are a few options depending on which kindle fire and age of to ie HD or analogue. But appears relatively simple.
    http://www.technipages.com/how-to-connect-kindle-fire-hd-to-tv

:)

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

This is what I use. 71bvyshak3l._sl1500_.jpg

From my Samsung tablet to HDMI on the tv.

5. Chris172

Chris172 Funster

6. Langtoftlad

7. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Thanks for all this. Brilliant. HDMI route looks the best, am I correct in thinking this can be done without WiFi. The film's are downloaded and can be watched off line. Just one thing, after following the link to the tech pages the HDMI route talks about also plugging into mobile phone, what's the reason for this. Sorry to be dense.

8. Langtoftlad

No wifi necessary (y)
    Plugging in via a USB adaptor from your Amazon tablet (if it supports it) via an HDMI cable to the HDMI socket on your Avtex telly is the simplest.
    Online guides are useful as long as you know which "generation" of HD10 tablet you have.
    Only reason I can think of plugging in phone is if a) you have your movies stored on it, or b) for streaming live if you have WiFi or a good 4g connection (and a generous data package).
    Can you transfer Amazon downloaded content onto another device or must it be played via the tablet (for copyright reasons)?

9. Chris172

Chris172 Funster

What about a cheap second hand wifi router? they are usually stepped down to 12v by the power brick thats with them. Would that work? no wires then :)
    Just a thought.

Just binned 2 old wifi routers too :censored:

10. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Thanks for the info Langtoftlad. Knowing what Amazon are like I think they can only be played on the Fire tablet. I have looked on Amazon for an adapter and as usual it seems to be a minefield. I will get what I think to be the best option and try it. Your info has been very helpful so thank you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Langtoftlad

@Chris172 Good idea but unfortunately wouldn't work - a router only creates a WiFi zone from the landline broadband

@Clever Claire
    At least with Amazon you have a great returns policy if you happen to get the wrong dongle.
    If by chance HDMI is impossible with your existing tablet - then one route would be to buy a cheap basic Fire tablet (from £49) with an HDMI output purely for video playback?
    Also see if your phone can do (via an adaptor) HDMI output - then get Amazon Prime app to download content.

Good luck
    Stephen

12. cranky

cranky Funster

Concur. From memory about£25 edited to say Doh! Forgot it needs wi fi