tablet suitable for use in europe. (1 Viewer)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any good Android tablet preferably Samsung if you don't mind spending a bit more.
IPads are far too limiting just expensive web browsers not much good for anything else, can't upgrade the memory, hidden file system makes it impossible to organise files.
We have both can't stand the iPad.

What a load of twaddle!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" screen for watching movies etc, battery life excellent, expandable memory, Android OS and less restricted than Apple. I have a Mac which is so much better than Windows but Android all day when it comes to phones and tablets, for me anyway

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a load of twaddle!
OK then show me an easy way to organise files into folders the way I would configure them on a pc, and to comunicate with my network, how expand memory without expensive add on's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There
All the info given already is good advice, what I would say if you are expecting to get one which can take a data sim card then you choice will be somewhat limited.
It might be slightly different now but looking about a year ago there was little choice. I went for an 128GB I pad in the end because I wanted to put a data card in it, but I find I pads somewhat limiting in the type of video you can play without converting them and all files downloaded to the Ipad need an App to play or access, you cannot access the files independently like you can on a PC. The problem with Ipads is the price and the fact you cannot insert more memory as you can in most Android tablets, but Ipads are slick and you can’t fault the build and quality of the Ipad. If I could have found a Samsung with a sim card slot I would of gone that way as I find they are more flexible than the I pad. Just my opinion.
Also by now you must have seen a slight snobbery from some posts but that's understandable.
Listen to Lenny HB he is correct in what he says.

Best Wishes Tony

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
LennyHB.....
We live up a country lane with underground ALUMINIUM cable for our phone line !!
We all know what happens to aluminium as it ages !!
It turns to crap.
THAT is the cause of my "stammering" post !!
NOT the effing tablet !!!
Anyway , I'm on a MacBookPro !!
Mitch...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Currently I am using a Toshiba encore tablet, usually in the van I use my ASUS hybrid because I like a proper keyboard. We also own an android tablet, and 2 iPad and a kindle fire. What can I say, I work in IT and need to know if our software is compatible.
What I can say is, they all have strengths and weaknesses, but my personal favourite is this little encore that costs £89 I put in a 128gb sd card so it is the most powerful the lot, and the most compact.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I've just bought a Samsung TAB S2 8 inch 32 mb (WIFI only as i have a MIFI device) from ARGOS complete with a 128gb SD card for under £300 I have put over 3000 songs on it, a few films, SYGIC with maps for every country in Europe including the Russian federation, various apps, Exchange rate, Camper Contact etc. Google translate is good, and free and has speech recognition for many countries and also an offline mode for some countries, and i still have 60 GB free on the card and 20 odd on the device it's self, if you compare that with an IPAD mini 4 128 GB at £479 or £579 if you want one with a SIM card i can't see why one would buy the ipad unless you were already a dedicated Apple person or needed to run a particular app that was only available on ipad, the Samsung is faster according to bench mark tests as well.

HTH

PS Sygic is £16.49 for the whole of Europe, however to be honest the motorhome version is quite a lot more if you need it.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I bought a lenovo tablet, android , bout 120 quid . As ive been away more and thought a tab would do, it is still usefull, ive bought a lappy . Lenovo tablet is brills tho as well . just saying if youve got 250 to spend a lappy may be ? Can get 12v chargers for them .

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Please could you state what tablet you are using and the benefits.
I have £250 credit with tescos and can add to it, but needs to be spent by the 26th.
I need a suitable tablet for use in spain, france and Portugal.
I would like one which charges quickly, and has battery for 8 + hrs or around there.
It must be able to use apps like, google earth, campercontact, park4night.
must be able to search and give results in English.
must have a translation app.
have gps
a big bonus but not sure if possible, would be the ability to download movies, or even purchase a movie, and download books to read.
not sure of any other apps I need or what else required.
I just travelled the above coutries for 3 months, purchasing an amazon fire hd 2 days before I left.
other than quick charging and long battery life, it could no none of the above, and I really struggled finding locations, vets, hairdresser, etc. cause it did none of the above.
many thanks for input.

A little bit over your budget but this offer at John Lewis is really good, just ordered one myself
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ga...-android-9-7-wi-fi-32gb/p2169149?colour=Black

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought my wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab E from Tesco. I can't remember the price but it was well under £200. It's fine although the screen isn't brilliant compared to some other models. However, you don't notice that unless you look at other models. :) If you can stretch to one with a better screen do so, otherwise the Tab E will do all you want.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Please do not get an iPad...

Too expensive.

Android for me every time...

Loads and loads of free apps.

JJ :cool:

Why not get an iPad?
You get what you pay for-quality & fantastic support, call in any Apple shop.
Just as many apps-& free ones with Apple.
Anyway just because one personally doesn't like Apple or Android should not give one the right to say 'please don't get......"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For those who like fiddling with files and getting under the hood.. loading third party apps, and playing at being a techie ..
please, don't buy an iPad.. you will be frustrated and disappointed..

An iPad it just does what it says on the box.. there is no need to go under the hood exploring.. you don't need to understand how it works or why ... it just works.. like all other Apple Products, it meant to be used with the least fuss and without reading a a 500 page manual .. it works out of the box with all the apps most of us will ever need.. turn it on and start enjoying..

The Apple store has plenty of free or very low priced apps which you can download and use with confidence knowing there are no hidden nasties waiting to bite yer bum

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why not get an iPad?
You get what you pay for-quality & fantastic support, call in any Apple shop.
Just as many apps-& free ones with Apple.
Anyway just because one personally doesn't like Apple or Android should not give one the right to say 'please don't get......"

There are many, many reasons why I suggest the OP (having briefly tried to help her with some computing issues) does not get an iPad.

Only one of them is its cost.

But, sorry, I am unwilling to expand here because the "Apple Gang" and the "Others" just continually squabble and get nowhere.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I love it how whenever a thread like this happens the anti-Apple brigade rack their little brains for something absolutely unnecessary and insignificant that the iPad won't do, and 99% of users will never want to do anyway, and try and spin it as something so absolutely essential to using the device that not being able to do it renders the device unusable.

It does make me smile. (y):D:D:D

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Please do not get an iPad...

Too expensive.

Android for me every time...

Loads and loads of free apps.

Ditto too many to list and easy to install (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
too many to list and easy to install
yes indeed..

but sometime it's quality , not quantity that counts.. you can have too much of a good thing..

example..

When I upgraded my phone to an iPhone,:D I gave my daughter my Samsung S3 .. it was a great phone.. no complaints ... good battery life , easy and fast to use..

a few weeks later .. a call for help... "Dad, can you help, my phone is slow, battery is going flat and it's using tons of data "

had a look and it was full and I mean full, dozens of apps.. many working in the background, slowing the phone down, using the battery and lots of data..

I explained the problem and suggested she weed out the ones not needed .. .. to no avail.. "but Dad .. I use them all.. " :rolleyes:

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I have an iPad one.

Never again. They stop you from updating the operating system past OS5. When I tried to download a different calculator it had to be OS6 or higher, the same for all other apps I've wanted. So it's a brick now!

You have to get apps from the Apple store which prevents you from downloading some of the more legally questionable apps, for instance a chef in a pub told me about an app that would let me watch every Sky channel for nowt on an Android device. Rather sceptically I downloaded it from a website and I have watched a few Grand Prix's and a couple of footy matches, I have now obviously deleted and sent some money to Sky :whistle:

Just another example of Apples control freak attitude to their customers.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Id recommend Immodium every time for anywhere in Europe including Morocco. :rofl:

However we always carry a Mac Book Pro and an iPad. Used the iPad extensively in Morocco as a Sat Nav

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Definitely not an Ipad unless you have more money than things to spend it on. Android is more versatile and cheaper. The thing is we could tell you to get all kinds of different makes, models and operating systems but basically there is no reason at all why the one you have shouldn't easily do all the things you want with the exception of GPS because it doesn't have it, none of the other stuff is particularly difficult. Battery life is perhaps the only issue because no tablet will give you a realistic 8 hours life despite what they may claim.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
I currently use a Samsung Tab and have used it all over Europe, family and friends own IPads and they swear by them but each to their own.To be honest for what I use it for the Samsung has been excellent and cost half the price of the IPad. I was given an IPad 1 which was good whilst it worked but as onemanandhisdog has already stated it got to the stage that I could not update it as there is no way to update the OS past OS5 so it became useless.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have both Ipads and Androids, my recommendations would be:

If you want a good quality product, with a very good battery life, and can afford it, particularly good for anyone who is not comfortable with PC's/Tablets and only wants to use it for Browsing and Email, you will not get better than an Ipad

If you are more comfortable with PC's/Tablets, and want to pay less and add things and do more thing with it, then go Android

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Such zealots for & against :D
Think everyone missed the key point - the OP has credit with TESCO so it's a bit pointless pointing him to marvellous pieces of kit at PCWorld, Argos or John Lewis :doh:
So yes he can get either a basic [old generation] iPad Air or iPad Mini within his budget or a Samsung Galaxy Tab A - any will do what you want with greater or lesser degrees of frustration - but they only come with a small amount of storage (16/32gb), and some of that will be used up with the operating system.

So the key point for me would be that you cant [easily] add extra storage to an iPad - so for that reason, I'd personally opt for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A [at Tesco] for £179 and use the rest of your credit on a few 32gb MicroSD cards which you can load up with movies etc before you go & a case
http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung...-black/149-6202.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=149-6202

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An iPad 1 that can't be updated.. that's awful .. it must be all of what.. six years old ? :rolleyes:

How many have a six year old Android tablet running the latest flavour of Android .. or even a 6 year old Android tablet ?

I remember when Macs changed to Intel processors.. I think it was around 2006 .. I was left with a 17" Powerbook that was soon to be obsolete.. but it was still supported for several years ..

Technology moves on.. it's inevitable it becomes obsolete , I don't think six years is bad ..

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The way to think of Apple products and Android is the difference between Catholicism and Presbyterianism.

Apple tells you to give it all your money and you don't have to worry about anything apart from giving them more money. Android expects you to RTFM.

As the OP has come here looking for advice I would suggest that an Apple product is more likely to fit their requirements.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I bought a cheap 10" tablet of Amazon for under a £100, 16Gb on board, gps all the usual stuff and takes a 64Gb micro sd card, which cost an extra £20 odd quid. Stuffed the card full of films and games for the grandkids and used it on holiday worked fine.

Along with price, that to me is the big advantage over an Ipad, I can take the card out and put it in another Android and use it straight away. If by any chance I managed to fill it, simply buy another card and slot it in.

Ian

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
An iPad 1 that can't be updated.. that's awful .. it must be all of what.. six years old ? :rolleyes:

How many have a six year old Android tablet running the latest flavour of Android .. or even a 6 year old Android tablet ?

I remember when Macs changed to Intel processors.. I think it was around 2006 .. I was left with a 17" Powerbook that was soon to be obsolete.. but it was still supported for several years ..

Technology moves on.. it's inevitable it becomes obsolete , I don't think six years is bad ..

It's been scrap for a good two years now.

It's Apple controlling nature I don't like. You cant add memory, cant take the back off to change a battery.

Why can't a calculator run on ios5?

SkyGo stopped working on IOS5, it worked for years till the app was updated and you HAD to download the new one, which you couldn't because you had to update your OS, which you couldn't do!!! Oh Please!, there is no reason for much of what they do, other than make you replace a well looked after functioning tablet to line their pockets. Not stupid enough to fall for that one again.

Never experienced anything like that with Android devices

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I tried to wean myself onto Android (the wife eventually said no). As there was a keyboard app which emulated an Apple keyboard I thought that would be a good way of moving that was until I read the caveat with the app which said its security could not be guaranteed. While the attraction of adding generic features to Android is one of its strengths, allowing an app to be issued which could compromise your security is nuts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back