tablet suitable for use in europe. (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Please could you state what tablet you are using and the benefits.
I have £250 credit with tescos and can add to it, but needs to be spent by the 26th.
I need a suitable tablet for use in spain, france and Portugal.
I would like one which charges quickly, and has battery for 8 + hrs or around there.
It must be able to use apps like, google earth, campercontact, park4night.
must be able to search and give results in English.
must have a translation app.
have gps
a big bonus but not sure if possible, would be the ability to download movies, or even purchase a movie, and download books to read.
not sure of any other apps I need or what else required.
I just travelled the above coutries for 3 months, purchasing an amazon fire hd 2 days before I left.
other than quick charging and long battery life, it could no none of the above, and I really struggled finding locations, vets, hairdresser, etc. cause it did none of the above.
many thanks for input.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much any(y)
Edit just read the last bit of your post, any but Amazon or kindle:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
iPad

It doesn't really make a lot of difference though. They all do pretty much the same things.

It comes down to personal preference with perhaps a little bit of brand snobbery thrown in for good measure (y)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have used my I-pad when in France, Italy, Belgium and Spain without any problems.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First question is screen size.

Then choose an Android with that size. ASUS has an enviable reputation. Samsung even more enviable.

You can get a good tablet for under £100 even at PC World.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Samsung for me with a data card - currently have one of the 3 12gig 12month sims. Have been using it when away in UK and will use when we go to Europe later this month.

Denise

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Having been an ipad and iPhone user for years I have just changed both to Samsung. I am now using a Samsung Tab A and cannot fault it, quicker than my ipad and far more storage thanks to being able to install an micro SD memory card. The apps available for Android are just as good if not better than the Apple offerings and the GPS is spot on.

I am still getting used to the phone but the tab for me wins over the Ipad and cheaper too.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I,m not a mac person, bit the op wants gps, does Ipad have true gps or only work off cell phone masts? I have a tesco hudl 2 and gps works fine for use as gps but no sim card.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
iPad, very easy to use, no problems with viruses/malware etc. will work anywhere, easy to charge. I can't fault mine, we both use them, not bulky to use/store or hide.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Another vote for an android tablet. Stick with a well known brand and not a generic one.

My choice is the Samsung Tab

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any good Android tablet preferably Samsung if you don't mind spending a bit more.
IPads are far too limiting just expensive web browsers not much good for anything else, can't upgrade the memory, hidden file system makes it impossible to organise files.
We have both can't stand the iPad.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The double up ends on 26th june but it does not look as though ipads and other tablets are included in the double up so there's no need to rush.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm using a Nexus 9 in deepest Tuscany at the moment and using it to upload photos and a bit of youtube video to this forum, campercontacting and general web browsing. It works fine but I don't think Tesco sell them. :(

Eight hours battery life might be a challenge if you are using it all that time but an external power pack, £20'ish off Amazon, will solve that problem.

My suggestion would be Android and if you can get one with 32gb of memory that would be best if you want to watch films. However, where you will get the data and bandwidth to download a film when in Europe is a big question. A campsite or bar with very good WiFi might be ok, otherwise it will be difficult.

Mine communicates to the world through a mifi and with the kindle app I can get my night time reading. It has all the other bits you want such as GPS but they more or less all have that - or at least the Android ones do. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm using a Nexus 9 in deepest Tuscany at the moment and using it to upload photos and a bit of youtube video to this forum, campercontacting and general web browsing. It works fine but I don't think Tesco sell them. :(

PC World seem to have a very close relative in the ASUS ( who made the Nexus ). I've just been reading Bond, James Bond on mine, battery lasts ages and the screen is excellent.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I-Pad and stick "TomTom" on it (£65 from I tunes) and "Campercontact" (£7 from I tunes).
They work symbiotically and we have used them all over Europe fro Denmark to Greece.
The I-Pad sits well on the dash as sat nag and I can see it easily without specs.
Good luck.
There are cheaper but I-Pad is bomb proof.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I-Pad and stick "TomTom" on it (£65 from I tunes) and "Campercontact" (£7 from I tunes).
They work symbiotically and we have used them all over Europe from Denmark to Greece.
The I-Pad sits well on the dash as sat nag and I can see it easily without specs.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
They work symbiotically and we have used them all over Europe from Denmark to Greece.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck.
Mitch.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Is there a blip? 4 copines of the same post?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The I-Pad sits well on the dash as "sat nag" and I can see it easily without specs.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The I-Pad sits well on the dash as "sat nag" and I can see it easily without specs.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back