LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jill fancies a tablet PC for e-mail/surfing whilst we are away in the van, as an alternative to the netbook we already have. However, as it will basically be for van use, rather than at home, she doesn't want to spend to much - which cuts out devices like the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab.

One thing that concerns me is that a lot of the 7" screen devices have comparatively low battery life (something like 2 or 3 hours) which could be a problem on extended trips without EHU.

Has anyone any experience of an inexpensive tablet with decent battery life? Also, are devices running Android v1.6 or v2.1 worth having for e-mail/surfing or is it worth paying extra for a device running v2.2 to take advantage of Flash capabilities?

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Tablet PC

I've gone through the same as you.

Bought a 12" laptop and use an Inverter to charge when we are travelling. I only get about 1 1/2 hrs use.

Decided I'd now like an Ebook reader. Most have only mono screen so checked out Fleabay and, thinking 'why not have colour and be able to view pictures and movies, and maybe access the Internet' I ordered an 8" Epad from Hong Kong.

It only took 7 days to arrive and looked great. Ebooks no problem, pictures yeah! but the Internet wouldnt work..... looks like the Internet card is kapput.:swear:

Have returned to seller who is sending a new Epad. Hoping this one is OK :thumb:

Advice I took was to look for anything higher than Android 1.6, so my 8" is 2.2.

On checking the first version that came I was told by 'a friend what knows' that the version of Android had been cloned from a smartphone. Does that matter for what I want it for? I ask myself. Once I can access the Internet I can look for upgrades.

I thought the same as you. Why pay in excess of £300? My Epad was £125.

Good Luck

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jill fancies a tablet PC for e-mail/surfing whilst we are away in the van,

My Kindle turned into a ZT180 Epad. Android. Surfing and Kindle books fine. Played a ripped DVD movie fine. Not tried email. Fine for boring folk with your pictures ( though only one person at a time ). No GPS but it does landscape/portrait automatically. It's 10 inch but due to widescreen I'd not want one smaller and the excellent on screen keyboard would not be as good on a small screen. Resistive touch, so just single finger. Touch or swipe fine. With 1024x600 display it's OK for FUN because the up/down swipe scrolls nice and quickly. WiFi or LAN.

Battery not good, 3 hours (ish).

For me, much more use than the Kindle. It's as good for reading indoors.

I've flashed to Android 2.2 so Market/Kindle work.

Make sure your processor is quick, this is 1GHz and you would not want slower.

One negative, boot time is similar to windows. If there is a sleep mode I've not found it yet.

Edit by Android. Works but you'd not write a book on it.

Altogether Happy Bunny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I came across this post on another forum thought it may be of some interest.

Have been toying with the idea of a e book or Kindle came across this and thought it may be useful, on what a kindle can do.
been so impressed with this bit of kit since I've bought it, what with its internet connection capabilities and all. I thought I would see what else it can do.

With just a quick Google I've discovered that it can be used as a route planner, just get it into browser mode and type in the url maps.google.com/m/directions and you will come up with 'To' and 'From' boxes and the choices of 'By Car', By 'Transit', 'Walking' and 'Bicycling'.

Just input where you are and your destination and there you go.... all worked out for you.

All at no cost other than original purchase of the 3G Kindle. Neat eh?

So, what else can you get your Kindle to do?

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
You say that you dont want to spend alot...

You do know you can get the Galaxy Tab for FREE! with a data contract like i did. Well i know it isn't completely free as they up the price on tariff to cover Tab...

I got -

Galaxy Tab cost "Free" £0
5gb of Data plenty for everyday use.
250 Text also handy

all for £40 a month :thumb:

So where ever you are you can surf away without looking for hotspots.. And the Galaxy Tab is a awesome tool and does eveyrthing i need and i am gadget mad...

Craig

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You say that you dont want to spend alot...

You do know you can get the Galaxy Tab for FREE! with a data contract like i did. Well i know it isn't completely free as they up the price on tariff to cover Tab...

I got -

Galaxy Tab cost "Free" £0
5gb of Data plenty for everyday use.
250 Text also handy

all for £40 a month :thumb:

So where ever you are you can surf away without looking for hotspots.. And the Galaxy Tab is a awesome tool and does eveyrthing i need and i am gadget mad...

Craig

Thanks but it's all relative. We need landline and cable broadband (which cost around £30 a month including calls on average) for other reasons so couldn't save by scrapping that. Our cell phones are on PAYG and we only use the dongle (also PAYG) when away in the van so our outgoings on the lot are in the region of about £10 a month.

So, a £40 a month contract would probably mean overall extra costs of about £35 a month.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
What features do you need?

If you aren't worried about GPS or 3G then the Advent Vega 10" tablet has been reduced in price to £199.

Run the Modaco ROM on it (which Advent support and even link to) and you get a very responsive tablet with Android Market etc all working.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I bought an epad a while ago. It was ok but the battery life was crap and the screen left a lot to be desired.

Got a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the sales in January and love it!! Battery last min 6 hours and it just works brilliantly. Great for emails and its also doubles as a phone which is a huge advantage over the Ipad. I have unlimited data on 3 for £8 per month and can use it as a wifi hub for the lappy etc. Also the GPS (which is free!!!) is fantastic!!

I sold the Epad for almost what I paid for it so not a great loss there. You get what you pay for but there are lots of manufacturers releasing Tablets in the next 6 months so hang on and see how much the new generation sell for. The Ipad 2 is cheaper than the first version and better equipped :Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Jill fancies a tablet PC for e-mail/surfing whilst we are away in the van, as an alternative to the netbook we already have. However, as it will basically be for van use, rather than at home, she doesn't want to spend to much - which cuts out devices like the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab.One thing that concerns me is that a lot of the 7" screen devices have comparatively low battery life (something like 2 or 3 hours) which could be a problem on extended trips without EHU.Has anyone any experience of an inexpensive tablet with decent battery life? Also, are devices running Android v1.6 or v2.1 worth having for e-mail/surfing or is it worth paying extra for a device running v2.2 to take advantage of Flash capabilities?
My son has been the proud owner of a Motorola XOOM for the past few weeks, the Android 3.0 Honeycomb powered tablet with usb slots etc. Makes the Ipad 2 look prehistoric. Not the cheepest tablet but lightning quick and very capable.:thumb:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks to all who have replied. I've been looking round and found a new tablet from Elonex - the Link Removed which seems to offer quite a bit for not a lot of money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back