Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Anyone seen item 1306 3133 5390 on ebay? - Trojan batteries ex-ups (standby). Will need refilling with acid before use. £33 at the mo.

Thoughts? Comments? Expletives?

:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mmmm!!!

theres 22 of 'em...thats 132vdc....and they are conveniently selling a steam powered 110v DC generator

sounds like they may have had a hard life powering 110v equipment or could have been wired as 12v [STRIKE]series[/STRIKE]:Doh: parallel (series pairs) and running an invertor for years :RollEyes:

also in the title there is mention of wind and solar power.....

could be on their last legs.:Sad:

to see the item on evilbay, remove the spaces in the item number in Stcyr's post first

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hmm .. hard to say really..

I go along with what John has said.. without knowing the history there is no way of telling .. and you still need to source and pay for sulphuric acid.. fill em and charge with a proper 3 stage charger..

Do you feel lucky ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you scroll to the bottom of the evilbay page there are some interesting questions and answers ... the seller claims they are 'standby' batteries as used by banks etc., which would only have been used if/when mains power was interrupted for any reason - he quotes banks as an example: 'not wanting to lose data etc etc ...'

Gamble sure, but for £33 (at the moment) not too great a one :RollEyes: ??

Some potential bidder's asking if, should he win, would there be 10 available ... :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you scroll to the bottom of the evilbay page there are some interesting questions and answers ... the seller claims they are 'standby' batteries as used by banks etc., which would only have been used if/when mains power was interrupted for any reason - he quotes banks as an example: 'not wanting to lose data etc etc ...'

Gamble sure, but for £33 (at the moment) not too great a one :RollEyes: ??

Some potential bidder's asking if, should he win, would there be 10 available ... :winky:

interesting ebay questions..

best one is 'why were they drained' .. and not a very convincing answer.. and he doesn't know or say where they came from.. only an example..

if they were indeed from a UPS then in all probability they will be good.. but how can you know if he hasn't filled, charged and tested.. ?

sorry.. too big a gamble for me...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

best one is 'why were they drained' .. and not a very convincing answer.. and he doesn't know or say where they came from.. only an example..

if they were indeed from a UPS then in all probability they will be good.. but how can you know if he hasn't filled, charged and tested.. ?

it was that steam driven 110v DC gennie that put me off.....coincidence ?

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My thoughts too ... someone will probably buy a quantity which will reappear later as up and running .... for a lot more £££ :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

and, of course, you read his answer.....

but tell me, how do tyre and battery centres get their batteries if they cant be transported...they receive them filled and charged.:Doh:

any half decent courier should have a dangerous goods permit.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It certainly sounds a bit - erm - v a g u e and e v a s i v e ... :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My thoughts too ... someone will probably buy a quantity which will reappear later as up and running .... for a lot more £££ :RollEyes:

UPS batteries that have been tested come up on eBay fairly regularly, so at least you know they don't have a duff cell..

just had a look at his steam generator.. who would pay £4,300.00 for that ... a museum :roflmto:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
probably ex telephone exchange or something similar.

the question really should be asked is where were they drained and was it disposed of correctly.
chances they will have been drained by an idiot who thinks you cannot scrap them full, we used to get that alot when i was at the scrap yard but the really silly thing was they weighed more full so would get more money for them:Doh:.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
more on the requirements of transporting batteries here. Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
They are probably sulphated to buggery if they were standby batteries.

Look up battery stratification.....................

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UPS batteries that have been tested come up on eBay fairly regularly, so at least you know they don't have a duff cell..

just had a look at his steam generator.. who would pay £4,300.00 for that ... a museum :roflmto:
as its about the same price as a replacement onboard genny for the Rv i figured i could buy that and fit it in the existing frame...after i beef it up with some railway track :Doh:

to power it i could re-route the RV furnace blow air hoses through a boiler chamber and then i could book myself in for therapy for a week or ten

Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Well it was worth sharing the empty trojan ad just for the giggle. I'll be keeping watch - bet he sells'em... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Did you know that Trojan is also the brand name for extra large condoms, trouble is the're made in America and I have to pay overseas postage when I buy mine:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back