mac111051

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi all, just found this site looks good, can anyone give me a few do,s and dont,s for Switzerland, driving, I know i nead a vignet but do you allso pay tolls on the motorways, what are the campsites like, and changing money etc anything would help, going to Bormio Italy on thursday can anyone recomend a route,

Thanks Mal

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all, just found this site looks good, can anyone give me a few do,s and dont,s for Switzerland, driving, I know i nead a vignet but do you allso pay tolls on the motorways, what are the campsites like, and changing money etc anything would help, going to Bormio Italy on thursday can anyone recomend a route,

Thanks Mal
no tolls payable. there is a very good site in lauterbrunnen

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mal,

You might want to take a look at swissterroir.ch. They offer free stopovers at vineyards, farms and other places (a la France Passion). There is a one-off subscription for the year which I think is about £30 but it could be a bit more.

The site is not in English, but google translate should be able to give you the gist of it (you may need to do a google search for "swiss terroir" and use the translate page link)

Hope that helps,

Steve

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun we have been to Switzerland in van but it was only to visit caves when we where in France so sorry i cant help.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its worth doing the research, there are more firearms per capita in Switzerland than anywhere else in the world:ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think you have to buy a Swiss motorway permit before you drive on m/ways--sticks to your windscreen. I've got one on my car which I bought 2nd hand.

A vignette : Link Removed

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Mal
yes buy the vignet, no other tolls to pay,:thumb: we went there last year, stopped at Junjfraublick at Interlaken, nice holiday, WHEN you pay for your vignet pay in Swiss Francs its cheaper than Euros which they ask for, it must be their fiddle lol, any way enjoy its great, you also get free bus passes from the local camp sites, and if you are going up the mountains etc buy the all in tickets it works out a lot better. Pete :thumb:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I think some of the tunnels have an extra toll charge. If memory serves me right a couple of them are very steep.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do be aware that if you have a trailer then that TOO will need a vignette ( and it is the same ruddsy price as the car/van one ! :Angry: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
If your going in through Basel go in over the German border not the French you will get in a lot quicker buy you vignette at the last services it lasts for a year, Gray. (unless its changed i was there three years ago)

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Leaving Calais on 15th heading for Interlakin,no plans as yet playing it by ear.
Hope you have a good time been twice before first time with m/home
Good luck.:thumb:

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

Thanks Mal
I should have said that you need a vignette which lasts a year obtainable from Tolltickets on line for about £30. Travel through Luxembourg and get your fuel for a £1 per litre and stay On the Wohnmobille Stelplatz in Wintrich in the Moselle Valley for 7 euros per night inc electric and free wifi, which I did on my trip down and return from Greece this year. The municipal campsite in Ypres is also good value at 14 euros per night and is only 10 minutes walk from the Menin gate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back