Switzerland,Lump-Sum heavy vehicle charge (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Getting a little confused over what we require to travel through Switzerland. Plan not to use any motorway/toll roads but know sometimes you just end up on one.

We are over 3500kg and tow a trailer with a car on which is under 3500kg. So as I read the information on the Swiss website I need a Lump-sum heavy vehicle charge (PSVA) for foreign vehicles, this would be needed for the van but the trailer wouldn't come under the same category. The PSVA has to be paid for me to use any road but I'm guessing I don't have to get a vignette for the trailer if I think I'm not going on the motorway etc.

I guess the safest way would be to get a vignette for the car, one for the trailer then the PSVA for the van so would be pretty costly.

After any experiences of views on the matter please.

Confused and reaching for the rum

Shawn

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our van is 4.25 tons and cost €25 for 10 x 1 day passes which I believe last 12 months

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We went through Switzerland last year with our van 4.5 tonne with trailer and smart car.
We had to get the PSVA 10 day pass which is for on road days only but officially a vignette is required for the trailer and car, missed the trailer one out and just purchased a vignette for the car.
Compared to the French toll costs the Swiss system is cheaper depending on length of time a distance involved of course.
I believe the Swiss vignette and the PSVA is required for all roads not motorways only.
D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Or just take care to keep off the motorways ?

We've managed that through Austria a few times.
In Switzerland over 3500kg you have to pay for all roads and including days on a campsite you can buy a 10 day scratch card which works out cheap if you are traveling through, don't know about trailers if over 3500kg.

Link to relevant Broken Link Removed website.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We went through Switzerland last year with our van 4.5 tonne with trailer and smart car.
We had to get the PSVA 10 day pass which is for on road days only but officially a vignette is required for the trailer and car, missed the trailer one out and just purchased a vignette for the car.
Compared to the French toll costs the Swiss system is cheaper depending on length of time a distance involved of course.
I believe the Swiss vignette and the PSVA is required for all roads not motorways only.
D

Thanks for that. This is where I'm confused. I read the PSVA as a charge per day, whether on the road or parked up on site etc.
We're in no rush so avoid toll roads, unless we slip up.
I think your right that I should have a vignette for the car and the trailer, but don't plant to take the car of the trailer whilst in Switzerland.
I read the vignette is a motorway charge sticker, so my thinking is that it's not required on normal roads. If I have to pay that's fine but as there's no refunds given I don't want to pay if there's no need.

Thanks for replying.

Shawn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good job I included that question mark. Miserable bleeps, I wouldn't give them the business.
That is why we go through Austria and avoid the Autobahns.:)

Thanks for that. This is where I'm confused. I read the PSVA as a charge per day, whether on the road or parked up on site etc.
That is correct every day you are in Switzerland, a lot of people think it only applies to days on the road. If you are transiting Switzerland the 10 day pass works out cheap as you only pay for the days in Switzerland, so you can use it on the return journey.

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
The10 day ticket is for days on the road it has the columns which you fill in for the on road dates in theory should the police give you a tug this form should be up to date if you are off road and on a site for example for a couple of days the 10 days are extended by the number of days on site
The viginette is for all roads as far as I know toll roads as in France do not exist.
Everyone is supposed to buy the annual viginette about€34 if I remember correctly.
When I made a similar enquiry with the Swiss tourist office I was informed PSVA for the van and viginette for trailer and car.
D

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The10 day ticket is for days on the road it has the columns which you fill in for the on road dates in theory should the police give you a tug this form should be up to date if you are off road and on a site for example for a couple of days the 10 days are extended by the number of days on site
The viginette is for all roads as far as I know toll roads as in France do not exist.
Everyone is supposed to buy the annual viginette about€34 if I remember correctly.
When I made a similar enquiry with the Swiss tourist office I was informed PSVA for the van and viginette for trailer and car.
D

Still trying to get my head round this. From reading through the information on the Swiss website I still think you only need a vignette if you will be driving on what they call roads subject to taxation. I see what you mean about being able to put in the days on the form, the info sheet does say that you include the days you are parked up.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Still trying to get my head round this. From reading through the information on the Swiss website I still think you only need a vignette if you will be driving on what they call roads subject to taxation. I see what you mean about being able to put in the days on the form, the info sheet does say that you include the days you are parked up.

Subject to taxation = all public roads IMO.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This is not correct you have check it for every day you are in Switzerland including days you are on site.

Quote from their customs document I linked to.

"
upload_2016-11-11_21-46-9.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back