Free Member
May 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just under a year
We have booked a ferry to france in august and thought we may drive to switzerland - does anyone have any hints or tips - websites are a little confusing!!!

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
We have booked a ferry to france in august and thought we may drive to switzerland - does anyone have any hints or tips - websites are a little confusing!!!

We have driven to Switzerland several times. If you are planning to go straight to Switzerland you will need at leat one overnighter in France. We have always stayed at Camping De Vidy, Lausanne. The site is right on the bank of Lake Geneva. There is a man made beach within a couple of minutes walk and you can walk, cycle or catch a bus in to Lausanne itself which is very close but it is up a hill. If you can get there for 31st July you will be in time for the big firework celebrations (National Day). Although national day is 1st August they celebrate the night before. Everyone, young and old take picnics, BBQ's down to the lake and it is just one big party, not noisy or rowdy, there has never been any trouble on the 3 occasions we have been there but what a spectacle when the fireworks start :thumb: There is a cycle route around the lake, but you won't get around it in one day as Lake Geneva is Massive with Geneva at one end,Montraux at the other and Lausanne in the middle. 3 sides of the lake are in switzerland and one side is in France. There is a railway station not far from the site which will take you to Geneva and/or Montreaux (where funny enough they have a bronze statue of Freddie Mercury ?) as well as many other places. The site is also within walking distance to the Lake ferries which criss cross to a lot of the towns along the lake. The roads are excellent and the signs easy to follow. let me know if you want anymore information including sites en route (France & Germany).

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I used to drive solo between home and Bern 'pre-satnav' days using just maps at first, and then memory. From home to Bern total was 780 miles which I used to drive in one day (by car). As I got older I would break the trip just south of Luxembourg.

The route I used every time was to exit Calais and head up to Belgium then south toward Charleroi avoiding French autoroute tolls. Metz > Nancy > Epinal.....Mulhouse and Basel.

The E23 road from Nancy through Epinal used to be a rather poorly surfaced winding main road but it's some years since I last drove it so may have improved, but it was undoubtedly the most tiring stretch of road. Often busy, little chance or room for overtaking, and seemed to take an absolute age to drive......you just have to relax and chill out!

The Swiss border control is at Basel and I cannot remember if it was Mulhouse or Basel (think it was Basel) where you come to a set of traffic lights where you make a left which eventually leads you directly on to the Swiss autoroute. Traffic at this point is hectic and you must ensure you get in the right lane the first time otherwise you are in for a lengthy re-route!

You need a vignette to use the autouroutes in Switzerland and at 40sFr (£24) is dirt cheap and money well spent. This entitles you to use the entire network of autoroutes for one year. I doubt you will find any country elsewhere with a toll fee such as this, e.g. you can easily spend two or three times this amount in just one day on autoroutes in France!

Everything about Switzerland is how you would expect.......everything works, and works damned well too! Their public transport system is second to none. Immaculately clean, super efficient, up to date modern, and runs bang on time. Experience it whilst you are there and when you return to the UK you will feel like you are in a third world country.

Swiss drivers are generally very forgiving toward foreign drivers and 'road rage' is rarely witnessed.

Most speak english quite willingly, both old and young, so you won't ever find yourselves totally stuck by a language barrier.

Swiss are of an entirely different culture and mindset to 'brits'. Try to experience this whilst there by avoiding 'clubbing together' on campsites with other brits. Interlaken is the favoured place where 'brits' tend to park up and camp....stick there for a couple of weeks and then return back to the UK saying they've been to Switzerland. :RollEyes:

They have seen nothing of Switzerland!

Get out on to the open roads and see Switzerland....it really is a beautiful country, and enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My most memorable day while camping in Switzerland was a trip up Glacier 3,000 ..

Awesome and breathtaking only starts to describe the cable car trip.. not cheap but worth every Swiss Frank :thumb:

Link Removed

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Switzerland is truly breathtaking and is one of those places that when you are driving along.. you round a corner and your jaw just drops at the stunning views and mountains.

We've stayed at Camping Manor Farm at Interlaken which is close to the lovely town and then used it as a base to drive up to the Jungfrau. We've caught the train to Wengen but not as yet, right the way up on the 'Glacier Express' (but it's definitely on our to do list).

There is a campsite higher up there called Lauterbrunen I think?! which is supposed to be lovely.

Haven't built in a stop over this year on our way to Italian Adriatic as we are doing the Alsace and Lake Garda but plan to do a trip soon!

Definitely found the Swiss to be very helpful and friendly and always found someone who speaks English if we've needed help.

I'm sure you'll have a great time...perhaps you can give us some hints on nice places to stop and things to see on your return?:Smile:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Yes, it's well worth buying that vignette for the autoroutes. We tried once to stick to the other roads, but it cost so much more in time and diesel :cry:

The cost of going up to the Jungfraujoch is well worth it. Everything about it is amazing - and it's ear-splittingly quiet up there!

The Matterhorn is also worth a visit, though you'll have to take a train into Zermatt to get there.
If you decide to go into Italy, the Grand St Bernard Pass is an 'interesting' way to go - and there is a museum about the history of the pass at the Hospice (and those dogs!)
Have a great trip ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back