Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi all

As part of my grand tour with Helen the Hymer this year I am planning to visit the festival de la Vapeur at Blonay. I was going to enter from the direction of Evian Les Bains and need to know

1. Do I need a vignette?
2. If yes, should I apply online now and get it sent to me before I go - about £40 or can I simply buy one at the border. I am under 3.5 tonnes?

Thank you in anticipation.

If I have the vignette I may enter from the North and cross the Northern shore of Lemain instead.

Cheers Clive:france:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
it's €40 and yes just buy it at the border. only required if you're going to use the Autoroute.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my understanding is you can't get into Switzerland without one, even if you don't intend to use motorways (y)

could be worth lying about your weight though, I think short trips are cheaper if over 3,5T o_O

no knowledge about your route options though sorry :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning everyone and thank you for your replies.

I have actually ordered a vignette on line yesterday evening.

I had been talking to someone earlier in the day about the possibility of visiting some of the Swiss Mountain Railways in addition to the Festival at Blonay.
They recommended that I go to Interlaken for this which would be a good base for several and to get a 4 day regional pass, I have looked at the Swiss Railway website (where I ordered the vignette) and the passes seem to give enormous flexibility and may opt for a longer stay as I am under no pressure time wise.

I look forward to riding on the steamers on the lakes again, I travelled on one from Evian Les Bains to Lausanne return three years ago which was excellent. Such elegant vessels.

Thanks again and any other tips, recommendations welcome.

Clive

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Camping Jungfrau at Lauterbrunnen is a good base and a 5 min walk to the railway station where you can go into Interlaken or take the cog railway and go up the mountains.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've stopped on this site at Matten-bei-Interlaken, with a short walk to the station at Wilderswil. Not sure if they still take MHs though - the website seems very tent village orientated.

We also used this one at Bonigen, by the lake.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We stayed at Camping Alpenblick on the western end of Lake Thun 3 years ago, an ASCI site which made it affordable in June. A pleasant 30 minute walk into Interlaken or take the bus outside the camp with the the free tourist pass that takes you a fair distant around the area, but only half way to Thun which involves paying extra. We too bought a Regional pass that, although costing around £200 each, saved us probably 3 times that based on the price of the journeys we took. We were blessed with good weather which does make a difference and one or two places were only just open, the Schynigge Platte for one as there was still snow on top.
data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x478fa4fddcf02405:0x8b71d7092e6fa5c7!8m2!3d46.679801!4d7.8184386

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
You should try and visit the Matterhorn it's wonderful this time of year. There is a superb restaurant with huge sun terrace over looking the famous peak.
It's a Greta place to sit with a beer and admire how awesome it is.
I recommend taking the Gornergrat railway from Zermatt

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Chris

Thank you for the recommendation re the Matterhorn. I will see if I can fit it in. My "Swiss" visit has already expanded exponentially so this will be a "greta" bonus.

I will buy the Regional pass from a station - had considered getting it sent here but no gain. Have received my vignette and when I get Helen back (hopefully this weekend) I will thoroughly clean the inside of the screen to attach it.

Thanks again, Clive

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning everyone and thank you for your replies.

I have actually ordered a vignette on line yesterday evening.

I had been talking to someone earlier in the day about the possibility of visiting some of the Swiss Mountain Railways in addition to the Festival at Blonay.
They recommended that I go to Interlaken for this which would be a good base for several and to get a 4 day regional pass, I have looked at the Swiss Railway website (where I ordered the vignette) and the passes seem to give enormous flexibility and may opt for a longer stay as I am under no pressure time wise.

I look forward to riding on the steamers on the lakes again, I travelled on one from Evian Les Bains to Lausanne return three years ago which was excellent. Such elegant vessels.

Thanks again and any other tips, recommendations welcome.

Clive

Clive

If you like railways this info is probably like 'telling granny how to suck eggs', but do you know about the website 'The Man in seat 61' which is at

www.seat61.com

For you and everyone else reading, it really is a most informative site for rail travel; if he does not list the info he has links to it. It includes such detail as 360 degree tours of various sleeper compartments, in adddition to timetables, fares, routes and ......mountain railways.

It is a journey in itself:D

Geoff

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thank you Geof, I will have a look at that this evening. Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Had a look at Mattehorn which is off to the side on my way after Blonay so a strong contender. The "look" was using Google maps which spoke of private/restricted roads, so, any info on this. How is access with a Hymer size camping car and any must avoids please. The view looked fantastic.

Clive

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi Cleve sorry I thought you would parking up and taking Swiss rail to Zermatt.
Zermatt is a car Free zone so only way to get there is by train. There is a campsite 5km from Zermatt where you can stay and get to town via a shuttle I think. If you go to the motorhome ski website their is lots of info there. You will need to get the gonergrat funicular up 10000ft to see the Matterhorn. It's a once in a lifetime visit.

Had a look at Mattehorn which is off to the side on my way after Blonay so a strong contender. The "look" was using Google maps which spoke of private/restricted roads, so, any info on this. How is access with a Hymer size camping car and any must avoids please. The view looked fantastic.

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Brilliant Chris, that is just the sort of info I need. Zermatt it is and use the train.
Demonstrates the value of this forum beautifully.

Thank you Clive

edit - Just had quick look at campsites, looks very promising, my bucket list is growing so quickly I may need a second bucket!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Drove through Switzerland last year on way to Italy and have decided to go back next year. But now I,m over 3.850 tonnes can.t us vignette read all Swiss sites it's hard to find list of costs.
Planning on doing the grand tour roughly in about three weeks.
As anyone done it lately that can put it in laymen teams (n).

Regards Andy

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Stop at the border and pay for heavy camping car.........€25 for 10 days if I remember correctly.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They last a year and you buy sets of 10 so might be worth buying a few more than required as yuh can always use them at a later date

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Can't help with your costs but if you do not have day running lights then you must use your headlamps day and night. I was fined 40€00 (I did not have any Swiss francs). Just in case.

Have a great trip, I was there last week and back again in about a month but I am on the simple vignette!

Clive

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Would anyone know you're 350kgs over the magic mark ?

I can only guess we maybe on the odd occasion after some trips.....

Just avoid major border points like Geneva, Schaffhausen where they do have weigh bridges.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Would anyone know you're 350kgs over the magic mark ?

I can only guess we maybe on the odd occasion after some trips.....

Just avoid major border points like Geneva, Schaffhausen where they do have weigh bridges.
Thought of this but don,t no werther Merlin looks over 3.5 but as long as I can buy a couple of ten day passes that should get me through .clive I tend to drive with side lights on all the time abroad to warn them there's a nutter on the wrong side the road.:D
DSCF9644.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back