Switched live under the bonnet . (1 Viewer)

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Hi.im trying to fit a pair of daytime led's to my 2010 ducato.has anyone done this and if so where did you get a switched live from?
Being led they are very low power but as I understand if I tap into something I may trigger off the can bus warning system.only place I can think of is the cigarette lighter feed but have no clue of the wire colours.
Thanks in advance
The Friar.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheap ebay offering ?

Not simply a case of finding a switched live, DRLs should switch OFF when vehicle lights are turned ON.
Easy enough to install a relay though.
DRLs have no beam pattern and simply scatter light.
They are too bright and dazzling for night time use.

.GOV website extract...

General requirements
Legislation and requirements:

DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for the guidance.so I need a switched live and a headlight live.no worries with the relay got some kicking around here some where.
Yes good old flea bay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best location will be the fuse box.
Harder to get to but no problem with canbus system....the fuses should all be outside the canbus system so no I'll effects.
Probe each fuse, ign off, with a multimeter and find the dead ones then ign on and find any which become live.
The light switch will activate and turn OFF a normally closed relay cutting the DRLs when lights turned on.

Try the lights on a battery first.
I bought a pair (eBay) which were barely visible at night....in the bin they went.

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Many thanks.tried the lights really quite bright.im assuming just triggering the relay which doesn't take much can be done by tapping in to a headlight feed ?

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Got the fusbox lid off then lifted out the whole fuse block to look under neath.gulp... it's all very neat with multi plugs hiding all the wiring..to complex for me I think don't want to end up with a mh that won't run.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I bought and fitted one of the "proper" kits (okay I've got too much money!) and it was a doddle.

However if it helps, the power supply came off a fuse (an adapter was supplied) in the under-bonnet fusebox. The feed for the headlight cut-out came from the nearside headlight dipped beam circuit. I had to take the headlight out but it was only 3 or 4 bolts and the connector. This was so the DRLs would go off when dipped beam was selected.

As an aside, just come back from Scandinavia where the law says you have to have headlights on all the time. However this did not seem to apply to vehicles with DRLs.

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
So was the adapter something which plugged into the fuse location and then the fuse piggyback ed on it?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is one adaptor, simply replaces the existing fuse which is then plugged into the adaptor and protects the original circuit.
A second fuse then protects the trailing wire which feeds the accessory.

$_1.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back