Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
In Switzerland if my understanding is correct having searched (but just wanted to check) I think we need to pay a daily road tax for any road as we are over 3.5t. In Austria if

Can this be bought easily before the border as seems to the case?.

Is it expensive?

Having bought it can we use all roads inc motorways?

In Austria it seems we need a go box if using the motorways but not on other roads. Is that correct?

We have a trailer, making the total length 41 feet (12.5 metres), is there anything else we should know before going to Austria and Switzerland.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
About 59 € in Switzerland I am afraid.. You will need two vignettes .. One for the van and one for the trailer

However...............

A ten day vignette for Austria is 9€ ( I think.. It was 7 € and woman popped in and paid for this years and I am pretty sure she moaned about it being dearer !! )

This is why we NEVER visit Switzerland..

Oh, Go Box required if you are over 3.5 tonnes

But... We are plated at 4.1 tonnes, and usually have a trailer dragging along too.. And we always just get a standard vignette ( we go to Austria a LOT !! LOL !! )

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Don't know about Switzerland but have travelled through Austria for the past 3 years, and over 3.5t you need a GO Box. See this thread from last year. Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Ok thanks.

In Austria it is quite easy to avoid the motorways so I guess you do not need a go box. In switzerland, which is where we are booked for a week, it seems you need to pay daily road tax for any road. Is that correct?

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
just login to Tolltickets and they will give you all the info on any country

and you can pay over the internet.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ok thanks.

In Austria it is quite easy to avoid the motorways so I guess you do not need a go box. In switzerland, which is where we are booked for a week, it seems you need to pay daily road tax for any road. Is that correct?

No tax for the normal roads but yes you'll need to buy a vignette for any vehicle that goes on the highways here in Switzerland. So for you that's 2 vignettes at CHF40 each if you want them for the whole year. There are shorter/cheaper vignettes (10 days ?) but I've only ever bought the yearlys ones that run from 1st Jan to 31st Dec, just bought 4 a couple of weeks back.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Ok thanks.

We visited Switzerland in August this year. When you get to the border just pull to the parking area at the side and go into the office. Ask for a vignette form and fill in the van and your personal details and hand back to the clerk - you will have to pay 32 Swiss Francs you can pay in cash, Euros or by card. We are over 3.5T and didn't have a trailer but according to the caravan club site if you have one then you need to purchase 2 vignettes.
You will be given a form with ten boxes on it. For every day that you are in Switzerland you must put the date in one of the boxes. Your payment entitles you to any 10 days in one year - we used 3 days passing through on our way to Croatia and then 2 days coming back a month later.
We were told by a coach courier to ensure that we filled in the date first thing in the morning as the police frequently check this - her coach driver had forgot to fill it in one day and was fined 300E when this was discovered by a police spot check.
Austria you do not need a vignette unless you use the toll roads and for Croatia if you are over 3.5t then you pay as you go to use the toll roads all other roads are free although I have to say we used the toll roads for two short parts of our journey but never found anywhere to pay!!! If you are under 3.5t then you just pull in at any petrol station as you go over the border and buy a vignette over the counter.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just to clarify.. The 59€ I mentioned is actually for the two vignettes I mentioned.. not PER vignette !! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back