swine flu, mandatory injections,your opinion?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by June and Mike, Jul 19, 2009.

1. June and Mike

June and Mike Read Only Funster

Hi all, i have very strong opinions on this subject, i`d just like to know other peoples opinions , knowledge is power and all that :thumb:

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

No one gives me any injections or tablets with me knowing what is involved first

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I reject the offer of normal flue injections. I'm fit, I believe I can take flue if I do catch it so why should I add chemicals to my body.

I have just rejected statins offered because they advised it on the basic that my cholesterol percentage calculation was just at the advised treatment start level yet the "good" cholesterol was well in the safe limit but the "bad" one was low. An ecg showed my heart was perfect and I'm perfectly fit. The doctor said I may have a stroke later in life, I said I WILL die later.

It's medicine by numbers, they can go screw themselves.

4. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

So what opinions do you have

5. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Like everythink else in the news these days it is blown up out of proportion.
    I know several people who have rang their doctors with a cough or sniffle and been diagnosed with swine flu over the phone?
    Dave

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I trust the medical service just about as much as I trust the politicians.

Doug...

7. staging lady

staging lady Funster

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I dont mind flu or any other injections but when they say its compulsory it is yet more evidence of the police state that has evolved here in the last 12 years :Angry:

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The politicians get mugged by the press, the medics by the press and the lawyers. And worse, they have this unhealthy attitude to heal at all costs.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This is the first time I've heard of mandatory injections for swine flu. Who has suggested it? I've just watched the news on ITV and the start of the news on BBC and neither of them reported it.

The last report I heard said that the first vaccines won't even be available until next month and there won't be enough to give them to all priority cases even by the end of this year.

In those circumstances how can anyone suggest a programme of mandatory injections?

Seems like any such suggestion you've heard, Junan, is just another stupid scare story put about by some idiot flying a kite.

For goodness sake, nobody panics in regard to annual winter flu, why should anyone panic in regard to swine flu?

Graham

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i used the new online NHS flu checker site yesterday for shirl.....

depending on the multiple choice answers ticked it tells you to either go to your doctor or ring 999 immediately'

nearly all the questions asked are primarily to see if you may have meningitis rather than swine flu:Doh:

so by my reckoning if it tells you to go to the docs you MAY have swine flu...
    if it tells you to call 999 you MAY have meningitis.:Eeek:

so what happened to supplying you with an authorization code to take to your local health center to get Tamiflu medication?

12. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

i have flu jab every year :thumb:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i got a request from my local abbatoir to be stuck like a pig.....

or 'the docs for a flu jab'.

couldnt understand why as i was only 50 and in reasonable health but i went anyway.

gave the receptionist the letter and she was baffled.

bloody stupid computer clerk:Angry:

waste of my time and theirs:Doh:

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its a plot to inject everyone with a tracker:Eeek:
    dont listen to Graham he's one of them:Cool:

15. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

I've been having flu shots each year for many years even when it was recommended that normal healthy adults should just put up with getting the 'flu. Could never see much point in suffering for a week just to get immunity to a strain that may never come around again.

This particular strain MIGHT turn out to be a huge concern and of course it might not. The authorities are damned if they do react conservatively and damned if they don't. I'm happy to leave it in their hands, just as as I was forced to when we lived and worked through the SARS debacle in China.

One thing you have going for you is that you are enjoying the 'flu off-season unlike us in Oz who are copping it now and over the next month of so.

Normal 'flue kills around 3000 people in Oz every year and closer to 40,000 in the USA and speaking for myself as a 60+ Grey Nomad, each year brings me closer to the point where I can't honestly claim to be a 'normal health adult" and instead am edging closer to the point where a supposedly minor virus might combine with another relatively mild condition and put me in intensive care or even in a pine box.

I'd wager that some of you scoffers are pretty much in the same boat.

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

As a health care professional whom works a majorty of his time in A&E I always have the flu jab at winter time.

No one has ever said that the swine flu jab would be forced upon people :Rofl1:

People may be advised to take it, I will take it mainly to stop the spread of it to a vulnerable group of people that I work with as this is my reason for taking the flu jab.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ah, but are you sure of that. I could just be letting you think that and it might really be Jill who is the tracker - never thought of that did you :Smile:

I have the winter flu jab every year as I have asthma and I'll have the piggy one for the same reason if advised to.

Listening to the radio this morning it appears that confusion has arisen in the last few days because people from organisations other than the government have opened their traps as foot receptacles. I think a government minister did as well - but when have they ever been right :Smile:

There are well established plans in both central and local authorities for dealing with a flu pandemic. They've been in place for several years since the WHO started warning of a winter flu pandemic. I recall discussing them when I was working in local government 4 or 5 years ago.

As Tony says, leave it in the hands of people who have actually thought about the implications and worked out contingency plans. They won't get everything right but they'll get a lot more right than anyone who panics as a result of red top scare stories.

Graham

18. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I don’t normally have the jab, but since I stopped smoking I have developed asthma.
    I have recently had a phone call from 2 close friends, one works in the medical profession and the other runs a racecourse.

The nurse said that she was worried as the ‘normal’ plan of action has been put aside. For the 1st time ever they are having free conferences re swine flu.

The other friend has said that he has been told to make the racetrack facility available for the possibility of mass inoculation.

Me? I may have the jab- asthma!

Shiftzz

19. The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones Read Only Funster

As a diabetic I have an annual flu jab. As this offers zero immunity to this strain I have to say Im concerned and will definitely be having one when it appears, hopefully it will be fully tested by then!

Howard

20. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

re swine flu jag

They wont have enough vials of the vaccine to make it mandatory:Doh:but as i have a disease that involves using immuno supprescent drugs i will be asking for it:thumb: